• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo EC460 fuel consumption

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
460 what B,C or D ? What engine, how many hours? How well was it maintained? Any of us can give you published consumption, but the reality is none of that matters. A tight engine will be close where a tired, neglected one will be way off the mark. That doesn't even take into consideration, pumping losses. Do the cylinders leak, is the pump worn out, does the swing gear work properly?
For the EC460 with M11, I've seen full throttle 7-8 gallons per hour where the B with a D12 does about the same , maybe a little less. Of course. there have been some that'll burn through 10 or 11 an hour.

zanefair

460 what B,C or D ? What engine, how many hours? How well was it maintained? Any of us can give you published consumption, but the reality is none of that matters. A tight engine will be close where a tired, neglected one will be way off the mark. That doesn't even take into consideration, pumping losses. Do the cylinders leak, is the pump worn out, does the swing gear work properly?
For the EC460 with M11, I've seen full throttle 7-8 gallons per hour where the B with a D12 does about the same , maybe a little less. Of course. there have been some that'll burn through 10 or 11 an hour.
I am not sure what series it is yet. I am thinking it is the earliest one. It has the M11 and 11,000 hours. As far as how it has been maintained who really knows. I could not find much information on them at all. What I did find is the m11 in the 300hp industrial not truck configuration Cummins published 64.4L hour converted to 17 gallon an hour at $3.25 gallon so just over $55 an hour in fuel alone I had about talked myself out of the machine but if it is in the 7-10 an hour depending on condition I may be back in on it

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
The figure you referenced was more than likely to run a stationary water pump or generator. That would be full load 100% of the time. No operator is that efficient, not to mention you're only loaded hard when breaking out or traveling. Keep in mind, the cummins powered volvo excavator has almost no support for electrical components. No harness or ECUs . It was the last breath of Samsung before Volvo introduced the B series. Keep that in mind.

zanefair

The figure you referenced was more than likely to run a stationary water pump or generator. That would be full load 100% of the time. No operator is that efficient, not to mention you're only loaded hard when breaking out or traveling. Keep in mind, the cummins powered volvo excavator has almost no support for electrical components. No harness or ECUs . It was the last breath of Samsung before Volvo introduced the B series. Keep that in mind.
When you say they have no support are you talking of parts only or if you call volvo they give you the down the road? Our dealer is one of the worst equipment service companies I have dealt with .

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Unfortunately, both. Parts are near impossible to find. There are no old timers left who squirrelled information away. The dealers couldn't scrap it fast enough once they introduced the B series. You can get the Cummins parts from Cummins. You can get generic pumps and valves through various sources, but when it comes to electrical components and harness, you're on your own. They're good machines, but the cost of ownership could easily kill you.

zanefair

Unfortunately, both. Parts are near impossible to find. There are no old timers left who squirrelled information away. The dealers couldn't scrap it fast enough once they introduced the B series. You can get the Cummins parts from Cummins. You can get generic pumps and valves through various sources, but when it comes to electrical components and harness, you're on your own. They're good machines, but the cost of ownership could easily kill you.
I am struggling I was looking for a 25ton machine and the cost twice as much for equal condition. Are there any specific electrical issues or is it more like if you have a problem good luck?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
That's a shame. They used to have a close relationship with the manufacturer. Now since they've moved corporate headquarters to Shippensburg from Asheville, I guess Hi-Way would be the preferred dealership.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Volvo electronics are historically fragile. When they're right and well maintained, they are the best, in my honest opinion. Once some nimrod gets in there and starts bypassing this and hotwiring that, all bets are off. An improper jump start can have you searching for a new V-ECU. considering they don't make them anymore, that could be the end. Im not trying to scare you, just provide information for an informed purchase.