• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo EC300DL DPF and EGR Delete

Solidbase

Hi. I’m new to the forum. I have a 2014 Volvo EC300DL that we are working on a DPF delete for. This era of Volvo D8H emissions system is very convoluted and I’m unsure of what components can be capped off and what need to be bypassed.

Mainly I’m concerned with the components in the manual shown, Part #5 connects to Part #21 which is a solenoid valve. If anyone has worked on these engine before could you help out. Can this valve be deleted? We are currently deleting the DPF burner module and the DOC and DPF.

Attachments

• 303B2236-E5EF-4362-AA66-FEC66D662222.jpeg
    303B2236-E5EF-4362-AA66-FEC66D662222.jpeg
    619.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 361F8080-12D1-4A7C-AFAD-49591B7316ED.jpeg
    361F8080-12D1-4A7C-AFAD-49591B7316ED.jpeg
    653.6 KB · Views: 32

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Umm, just to point out, we do realize that here in the USA that tampering with or deleting EPA emission components is not legal and carries heafty EPA fines don't we. Myself, I don't think I'd be posting this on the interweb

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
So many people are so matter-of-fact about it, I had thought it would be more secret but it's not. Maybe it is an Emperor-has-no-clothes sort of situation or a peasants with pitchforks situation. I know the tables could turn on them at any time and I don't touch it with a 10 foot pole but rather try to steer my customers in a different direction (propane) rather than diesel for various reasons.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
So many people are so matter-of-fact about it, I had thought it would be more secret but it's not. Maybe it is an Emperor-has-no-clothes sort of situation or a peasants with pitchforks situation. I know the tables could turn on them at any time and I don't touch it with a 10 foot pole but rather try to steer my customers in a different direction (propane) rather than diesel for various reasons.

I have no personal experience myself, only know what's stated in law. But I suspect it's one of those things that, as long as one stays under the radar, as long as the Fed's don't have a heavy enforcement policy in a given area, as long as any given area just flat out ain't looking for it, then one can get by with such modifications just fine. But, if that day comes when one finds oneself exposed, and under penalty of current law, better hope your wallet is fat enough to cover the expense.

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
To be posting forums about having done this or that to a machine that is illegal in your country is suicide, things can be taken into evidence years or even decades after. for legal reasons always prefix any post like this with " I have heard of ", " someone's friend tried this " or suchlike. From what others have told me, in the USA you guys can get spanked HARD with fines if they decide to make a case, the problem is, if you make a case easy for them they probably will make a case, and writing a basic statement of guilt on here makes it extremely easy for them.
Years ago i had a car stolen and my insurance company decided they didn't like the circumstances ( I left my high value car on an easy to park side street overnight after bumping into some friends while having a quick pint after work.... we all know how that turns out. So I got a taxi home and the car wasn't there in the morning) so without me realizing they had searched the internet using my details and basically accused me of fraud, because a week previous I had sold some wheels and other parts from a car of the same make/model on a car club forum. So i had to set them straight and tell them I had bought a breaker to use for parts for my own car and sold any parts I didn't need to help break even on the job. It showed me just how easy it is to gather evidence from the internet, and I have been extremely careful about what I post on the old internet, because once it's here it's here for ever especially on an open forum.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I always find this topic interesting and since this thread is going in a different direction now, let me share this.

I’m certainly not a fanboi of the EPA Clean Air Act or the consequences that our industry is suffering from. It’s horrible how expensive transportation has become and that hurts people.

But muh clean air!! Sure, I can see how controls are needed in non-containment areas. What ultimately happened to Diesel engine technology is terrible.

Deleting Diesel engine emissions on company owned equipment is a bad idea. Sharing it on the interwebs is risky, too.

Just recently, two mechanics in Dutch Harbor went to jail for EPA Clean Air Act violations because they did a delete to a diesel generator. They worked for Westward Seafoods.

Dutch is not the edge of the world, but you can see it from there. That’s about as far off the beaten track as you can get in North America and they still got caught.

These guys were under a huge amount of pressure by the employer to keep the power plant running. The mechanics did what was necessary to keep the plant operating during the fishing season. Then, Westward tosses them under the bus.

Supervisors At Seafood Processing Facility Sentenced To Jail For Clean Air Act Crime

Anchorage, Alaska – U.S. Attorney Karen L. Loeffler announced today that James Hampton, 45, the former Assistant Chief Engineer for Westward Seafoods, Inc. (Westward), and Raul Morales, 53, the former Powerhouse Supervisor, were each sentenced today in U.S. District Court, in Anchorage, by Chief U.S. District Court Judge Ralph R. Beistline, to serve time in jail for falsifying data to cover up the fact that they intentionally failed to operate air pollution controls required under the Clean Air Act at the Westward seafood processing facility in Dutch Harbor.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Conversely, the reality TV show Diesel Brothers just got hit with a $850,000 fine for EPA Clean Air Act Violations. Of course, these guys were very open about their diesel pickup modifications and showed their exploits to the entire world. They were bound to get busted for it. Maybe that was part of their plan. It certainly didn’t hurt their brand.

What I’m saying is; If a couple of mechanics in Dutch Harbor Alaska can get busted, anyone can.

I’m not going to jail for my employer.

If my neighbor removes the egr valve from his pickup, who cares? I don’t. Good for him.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
People don't seem to realize that posting something on a web site in any form is the same thing as standing in the middle of a city public square with a bull horn. The problem here is that unlike sound that disappears nearly instantly, the web is only a word search away from a perfect copy of what you said with all your identification accessible by search warrant or less.