• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

volvo ec240lc 1996 ish white smoke

simon nz

hi every one, need help with a volvo ec240lc with i believe a d7e engine, was running fine everyday grapple log loading and started billowing out white smoke no power , code for number 5 injector showing so have replaced all 6 injectors at moon beam price ,$690 each!!!!! drained the fuel, replaced both filters cleaned tank, changed tank to primary filter fuel line.. so the bosses face after spending all that money and down time he wasnt a happy bunny when it started and smoked with no power under load,
a new code showed ma2504-05 which turns out to be a coil solenoid on the head for oil pressure to v/ timing i believe. so tested resistance form ecu and all in spec voltage fine but slighty high ohms across coil, so replaced coil and low and behold still BL@#dy smokes with no fault codes showing ,
no blow by breather / filler cap any things to check i.e EGR before pulling injectors again out to do compession test,

thanks for reading simon

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Have you checked the turbocharger? Sounds like it might have broke. I would check turbo, remove exhaust pipe and intake pipe, make sure the shaft hasn't snapped. Check the charged air piping for excess oil. Let's see what your investigation turns up.

simon nz

hi, thanks for the reply, that was my first thought, just a turbo, nice and simple but removed air filter side hose and dry and clean no play, and spins freely, started up and spun up fine, have checked all the connection hose's and found a tear in the tiny one below turbo due to v clamp wear have ordered another one but have used the mighty insulation tape on the outside for now just to find any other cause's. , have taken hose of to inlet manifold and have placed hand over it to seal and have pressure there.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Did you replace the injectors or the pumps? You would have had to remove the valve cover to do that job properly. Those nozzles shouldn't be that expensive. That said, I don't know what kind of import tax or tariff you pay in your area of the world

simon nz

hi, yes replaced all the injectors, the volvo dealers wanted $1201 plus 600 core charge each !!!!!!!
after playing around managed to figure out how to get in to the service section on the screen menu, it was low on boost , turbo was indeed buggerd only had 2 part fins left on the exhaust side, the rest had rusted away
the first thing i looked at, pulled the air filter side hose off, very minor play no damage no oil and free, and was spinning with engine running so it was me being lazy and not pulling exhaust out of the way to check. so ecu was just over fueling causing the smoke

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Glad you found it. I've been there (laziness) and that seems to be what bites me in the ass. It's always the simple thing that you take a shortcut on. Live and learn