• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Benny Lawless

Hey fellas, new on this forum as of today. Hoping to find some much needed information as I am working in a remote environment and do not have convenient access to a dealer or HD mechanic....as many paid trips I can avoid, the better.

We’re currently developing our property up in Bamfield BC, CANADA (very wet out here) and are having some recurring issues with our Volvo ec210blc.

Biggest one seems to be a battery issue, both batteries have been removed, one replaced, other tested good. But for whatever reason, after about an hour of operation I lose high idle, and eventually the machine just falls flat on its face. If I hook up a truck, or a trickle charger, the machine will flash right back up but will repeat the above behaviour. I’m getting a full voltage out of both batteries, alternator is putting out adequate voltage as well, I’ve checked for shorts with nothing visible- my knowledge of these machines is limited so I’m wondering if I’m missing something simple?

Some other information to note
- the digital display has not functioned since the machine was delivered (friends machine, said it got wet in a storm)
- I have checked all fuses in the panel below the arm rest, all are good except two. One being the flood lights, and the other being the “aux” fuse...for the thumb I believe. Which is my next issue.
- when I go to jump the machine back, sometimes it will not work off the front battery, and sometimes it will not work connected to the rear battery...I have been switching back and forth with no apparent pattern to this that I can see...

Second issue being the thumb function. When the machine was first dropped off, the thumb was functioning, but over time it began blowing a fuse under the arm rest. I was able to replace the fuse at that point, regain functionality for a period and then it would blow again, with no apparently pattern in time or use. Now it’s at the point where the second I even make contact with the fuse panel/fuse, the fuse just explodes instantly. So at this point I have zero thumb function which is infuriating when trying to burn off all of our slash piles....

I’ve thoroughly checked all visible wiring, relays and fuses elsewhere and can see no obvious sign of a short anywhere or anything else that would be a red flag, but again, my experience is limited....

would appreciate any input, I’m hoping I’m missing something simple

thanks
B

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Please attach a picture of your right hand joystick.
Without the instrument panel, you are really rolling the dice. Please attach pic of instrument panel as well. 3 different types for the B-series.
Does your hour meter work? It runs off the diode + post of the alternator. If the hour meter craps out, it can cause charging issues. Additionally, have you checked your preheat relay? If it sticks, you could easily roast an alternator.
Not really clear on what you mean by running off one battery or another.

Benny Lawless

Without the instrument panel, you are really rolling the dice. Please attach pic of instrument panel as well. 3 different types for the B-series.
Does your hour meter work? It runs off the diode + post of the alternator. If the hour meter craps out, it can cause charging issues. Additionally, have you checked your preheat relay? If it sticks, you could easily roast an alternator.
I’ll take some photos for you when I’ve got a chance tomorrow- the entire display panel (hours, rpm, fuel gauge etc is not functional at all)

regarding the battery- all I mean is that when we go to jump it, and connect it to say the front battery it will not start. But then if I connect to the rear battery it WILL start...it goes back and forth between the two. Seems odd to me?

Benny Lawless

4B2E35D8-3621-413F-B72C-0919F18B1CB9.jpeg

this is with the machine RUNNING

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Benny
I would endorse FWF advice and add that jump starting can kill the ECU's if one battery has gone south there is a high probability that the other is pointing in the same direction.
The preheater is a known issue with the 210b but take a close look at the ground connections these often get overlooked - removing cleaning and refitting can end many problems.
Kind regards
Uffex

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
  • Ok. In the right armrest is a harness that leads up to the joystick. In that harness are 2 diodes. I would check to see what's grounded. You may have a shorted diode, could be short in the pivot or in the armrest. Make sure to check harness behind and below the armrest where it enters the floor. The oscillation of the seat or joystick could make and break the short. You may find your grapple issue.
  • As Uffex mentioned, check grounds. Also check the cable between the batteries.
  • That instrument panel, it works hand in hand with the Vehicle ECU. Without that, the vehicle ECU doesn't know how much flow to stroke the pump when your grapple/thumb actually works.
  • Throttle loss again is part of communication failure between VECU & IECU. Hopefully this hasn't resulted in a hurt VECU also.
  • In the left armrest should be some switches. There is a small thumbscrew cover where your elbow would be. Remove the cover to expose the switches. It should say "auto-man" on one and idle on the other. Flip one to manual, start it and flip other to run,I believe. That should give you 80% pump flow at 100% throttle. You are basically bypassing the VECU . in this manner, you should be able to operate your thumb off the foot pedal to finish your work.
  • I normally don't suggest doing this but you have already accepted that you don't know the engine health by working without an instrument panel. I would however recommend calling Strongco or who ever your dealer is if you want to keep that machine running. Or trailer it to them when you get your job done.
  • You will find that the B series are very strong and smooth when running properly.