• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo EC160D?

jca57jd

Hey guys! Looking at buying me a 15 or 16 ton class machine. Was looking for a cat 315c with under 4000 hours but that’s been near impossible to find. The Volvo excavators seem to be good machines and keep a lot of people happy. I know the EC160C is a solid proven machine but I havnt heard much about the pros and cons of the d series. I own a small clearing and grading company and I’m wanting to add a excavator to my fleet to accompany my cat 953b on clearing and grading jobs. It’s hard for me to find a Volvo c series with low hours as well. Found a 2013 EC160D that has 2400 hours on it and it seems to be in pretty good shape but I know it has the dpf and regeneration system on it. This same seller also has a 2015 ec140e with 2100 hours for nearly the same price.

- Are these models know to have any specific problems?
- is this a good reliable machine that I can do basic repairs on in house and work on?

Thanks!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Aside from regen problems, they are as solid as ever. Smooth , efficient and comfortable.
That has the little Deutz engine. Very reliable. The burner and temp sensors for regen are the biggest issue.
I know you mentioned not being able to find a "C" . That is what I would look for if given the time. The C & D are almost identical hydraulically, the difference is one has regen. Other than that, same animal.
Good luck in your search and selection.

jca57jd

Aside from regen problems, they are as solid as ever. Smooth , efficient and comfortable.
That has the little Deutz engine. Very reliable. The burner and temp sensors for regen are the biggest issue.
I know you mentioned not being able to find a "C" . That is what I would look for if given the time. The C & D are almost identical hydraulically, the difference is one has regen. Other than that, same animal.
Good luck in your search and selection.

Thanks for the knowledge funwithfuel! Are you a Volvo mechanic? After doing some research I found out about a company called AKZO that offers a regen by pass module that makes the computer think it’s there and working but actually deletes it. What are your thoughts on this?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
You dont need that, it will cost you a fortune in the long run. The Gov't is reaching further and further day by day. You are too far away from Canada or Mexico to try n use that stuff.