• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo DEF issue

DB2

5AE6FD04-E638-4945-A180-2C944AD51EAE.jpeg We have a 2015 G946C which has started displaying the above warning. We have replaced the fluid and the Volvo tech is telling me the sending unit in the DEF tank is faulty and must be replaced. Anybody have a work around? Do these things corrode given the nature of the fluid they are immersed in?
Any insight would be appreciated.

Seasons greetings to all !

BigWrench55

Common failure with Volvo. If you only drained the def and refilled it with the key off. Then it didn't reset the timer. If the sensor hasn't failed then the only way to clear that fault is to have software. Or drain the def and before refilling. Key on engine off and refill. The computer will see that as a refilling event and run a quality check.

DB2

Thank you. I’ll definitely try that.
Should key on engine off be followed any time we’re refilling ?
We just spent $5K plus replacing the DEF pump itself. Frustrating to say the least.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
We had issues with our L180H. Volvo does most of our work. He said that you need good quality DEF. Meaning, don't be refilling jugs out of barrels, unless you can keep it clean clean clean. They have been pretty careful, and so far so good. Been a year without any issues.

Welder Dave

A service manual won't necessarily tell you how to solve DEF issues, especially if you've been following the recommendations from the manufacturer.

DemiGod

I have a L-90H that I deleted the dpf unfortunately my programmer didn’t delete the side that is reading the def level. So I derate because of low fluid level. Does anyone know where that sensor is located?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I have a L-90H that I deleted the dpf unfortunately my programmer didn’t delete the side that is reading the def level. So I derate because of low fluid level. Does anyone know where that sensor is located?
Do you still have the tank? Ours is filled with washer fluid, just so it won't freeze.