• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo A40 Manuals

hellothere

Hello,

In need of the service/repair manual for a 2000 Volvo A40 in PDF, as well as, operator's manual. S/N: A40V18XX.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Regards

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
You may want to reach out to Rudd in the morning. To my knowledge, Volvo doesn't offer PDF manuals. The paper manuals are a tremendous asset if you're an owner. Make sure you ask for all the manuals. All subsections including descriptions. That is probably the greatest book of them all.

BTW they are proud of those big blue binders. It's going to be pricey, but worth it.

hellothere

Hello funwithfuel,

Thanks for replying. I was hoping to be able to find them in PDF format, but regardless I will get the paper format as well. This is our first ADT and I agree with you that they are worth it, and invaluable since its our first. For me is convenient printing a few pages that I need from a PDF and if they get ruined with oil, grease, etc., I just reprint, no damaging the original manual. Plus I can also share easier with someone that may need a copy.

I'm going out of town for a few days, but I'll get with Rudd next week and see how much that proudness will cost me. Will post back any updates.

Forums like this and posters like you are also a "tremendous asset". Thanks again for your time and information.

hellothere

Update:

Well, I contacted Rudd in Indy a couple times and although they were very professional over the phone a month has passed and they have not contacted me as they said they would with pricing for the manuals and engine parts we need. I ended up buying service manual online and still looking for the others. I purchased the parts from another vendor and got my price quote same day and purchase.

I expected more from a Volvo dealer.

If anyone have any of the manuals for sale at good price, contact me.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Terribly sorry you had such a bad experience. That really is unfortunate. You are not obligated to deal with Rudd, I only suggested as they were "in your neighborhood ". Perhaps try Alta equipment in Michigan or even highway equipment in Pennsylvania.
If you try Alta in Illinois be patient. All new guys learning the product. They just got the franchise.
Again, sorry for the bad experience.

hellothere

No problem, not your fault, you're trying to help. The other vendor I used for some parts can't get the manuals either. It's been harder to find these manuals than I thought. I'll give these others a call. Again thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated.

hellothere

Is older, right before the A40D and after the A40C, just plain A40. Not sure why Volvo went with plain A40, it's basically A40C with minor changes from what I've been able to notice. The vehicle we have is a 2000 Volvo A40. In 2001 the A40D came out.

Photos are attached:
A40-1.jpg A40-2.jpg A40-3.jpg

gearheadred

Very interesting. I have not been able to locate a service manual specifically for the A40, but it looks like the best bet would be to go with the Volvo A40D Service Manual. They did make a specific Volvo A40 Operation Maintenance Manual and it is pretty extensive for a maintenance manual. Its 176 pages which is pretty impressive.

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
there is no such thing as an A40C lol, they were all A40's the only difference was the original ones 1001-1151 or 60001-60026 serial numbers were Volvo BM and the later ones were just Volvo's
the Volvo D series are completely different animals and so a service manual for a D would be pointless

hellothere

@gearheadred: I would like to get that operator maintenance manual. I did get the service manual, I found the engine repair manual and getting it deliver this week. As for the A40D manuals I did look into that, but as sfrs4 mention the A40D is too different and these manuals ain't cheap, so I've been trying to get the originals for it, but I get what you mean. Thanks for your time and information, I appreciate it.

@sfrs4: Hello, thanks for your reply. I don't know a lot about Volvo but to my understanding they made A40C. I have seen some A40C and some identification plates that show the model as A40C, others as plain A40. They may have been produce at the same time, although the ones I've found are usually '97, '98. Also, on machinerytrader.com they sometimes list the A40 and/or A40C for sale. I have seeing some for sale as A40C but their identification plates show as A40, so I don't know exactly what's the actually story with A40 and A40C. I don't want to change the subject of this post, but if you have further information on it please let me know as I'm always interested in learning and understanding...and it may help me and others on finding manuals based on the right information.

a40c-3.jpg a40c-1.jpg a40c-6.jpga40c-5.jpg

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
It may be the American market have rebranded them but the official Volvo line never had A40C's. I notice that both the id plates you have shown are American market 60000 s/n range
Take a look at Volvo's global archives ( https://www.volvoce.com/global/en/product-archive/articulated-haulers/ ) and neither the Volvo BM or Volvo lines include a C series neither does the Volvo Parts system PROSIS, again only listing A40 Volvo-BM or A40 Volvo
So it seems the American marketing guys decided to do there own thing over there and designate the later A40 Volvos as C series lol.
To go back on subject I spoke to our Volvo people over here who up until 6 month's ago were "Volvo Construction" and not a main dealer and they told me they do not have any A40 service manuals anymore

hellothere

With lack of further information, especially on any major difference between the two, I just don't get why they would have two different model numbers for the same truck, on the same market, at the same time. Anyways, thanks for finding out about the manuals, that would explain why its been difficult to find them. At this point I only have the service and engine repair manuals and I would like to get the others (tranny, dropbox, diffs, operators maintenance, etc.). May be someone can make copies/scan theirs and exchange copies with other manual owners, just a thought. Thanks for your input sfrs4.

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
Hi Tool king I have A35E/A40E,A25E,A30E and A35D in PDF if your interested send me a PM and I will email to you
Mark