• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volumetric concrete

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
TCO market to the local commercial electricians or whoever pours light pole bases in your market. How it works here is the electrician either subs it out to the one guy with an auger truck to put them in and he handles all of it or they dig the hole, set the rebar, ground ring, conduit and sono tube. Then after inspection, they pour it.

It always seems to be a three ring circus between getting them ready, inspection and pouring. If there are 3-5 light pole bases on a typical McDonalds or other retail site, a 7 CY load is more than enough depending on the base spec. Just a thought.

Another contractor to target is utility guys. We install underground fire mains and hydrants from time to time, there is always a kicker or two or more depending on the project. If there are one or two kickers on a small job we'll mix and pour from bags. If there are more or we have a couple of large ones we call the redimix plant. I'm paying around $450 for a minimum load because we are not a regular client. However it saves labor and time which equal dollars. There is a point where it's too expensive to mix it by hand.

If I need 1.5 CY and can get it on the job for $100 less than a plant mix short load, I am on it like a dog on a bone.:cool:

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
Cm1995,

That will be $258 for your 1.5 yards of the best 3000 psi concrete you have ever placed within 15 miles of either of my plants! Thanks for your business.

That’s a customer base I haven’t thought of exactly. What I’m struggling with is when and how to market to them the most productively. One of my strategies is parking my loaded truck in contractor conspicuous locations like the donut shop . Just kidding. Like in front of the lumber yards, Home Depot, plumbing supply store, electrical supply stores. Probably like a pan handler with a sign. Maybe driving around after a pour to find in progress construction jobs to hand out cards. I really think if I do this I will be nearly fully booked in 2 months. From my research a full time driver delivers on average 12.5 yards per day. My goal is to be half this average by the time it the weather starts to slow construction this year.....TCO

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
You’ll need a pressure pot to test air entrainment periodically to keep it in spec and to prove to inspectors it’s a exterior spec concrete mix. You’ll need a slump cone also.
Just another expense.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The place I saw them used extensively was on the freeways doing the slab tie ins on the edges both on I5 and I90. I know those projects are done but it never hurts to get your company name listed with the state and municipalities.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
That's a good point John.

Here in Birmingham there is a 20 mile or so stretch of I-65 that is concrete. ALDOT is constantly sawing and removing sections of pavement and re-pouring. All this work is done at night so the lanes are open the following morning.

Depending on volume a mix on site truck could be the ticket. Hell the more I think about the business the more I might get into competing with our local company.:D

theironoracle

Occupation
I located a air test pot kit just been so busy during business hours I haven’t had time to go get it. Maybe next week. I have been told the fast set is becoming extremely popular on the dot bridge repairs. The fastest set stuff can’t even be put in a barrel truck for risk of premature set up so it’s actually being developed just for volumetric. TCO

theironoracle

Occupation
You’ll need a pressure pot to test air entrainment periodically to keep it in spec and to prove to inspectors it’s a exterior spec concrete mix. You’ll need a slump cone also.
Just another expense.
I found some new cones on eBay any other ideas where to pick one up? TCO

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
We buy ours from Forney, but they don’t get used a lot as the drivers in the fronts and the newer rears have a slump gauge in the cab. I wonder if your truck will have one or if it’s a option, if it is I would spring for it.

theironoracle

Occupation
Ordered a new slump tester kit online somewhere. Found a complete used air test pot on Craigslist locally and bought it too. I’ve seen a lot of the bowling pin shaped air testers, not sure if I need one of these too? Truck should be delivered Tuesday or Wednesday. Sand and aggregate will be delivered into stockpile next week. So many little things to get together......TCO

theironoracle

Occupation
I got my service truck sold. It was real good to me for almost 5 years. It was purchased by another owner operator so that’s nice too. For those of you that don’t know me from my former life I have a thread in “shop talk” called All in a days work (or two) and another under “crushers” called person tracked plant info, pictures and related info. Maybe someone smarter than me can link those on this page?....TCO

Attachments

• 8658BB50-7CE6-4C9A-B62B-B952B06936E2.jpeg
    8658BB50-7CE6-4C9A-B62B-B952B06936E2.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 35
  • 0F877D9F-5D1F-42A9-9343-054066571C42.jpeg
    0F877D9F-5D1F-42A9-9343-054066571C42.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 35

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
That is a beautiful truck. I hope the new owner attempts to keep it as nice looking as you did!

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
If you’re not using fly ash in the mix, the air entrainment should be stable and predictable for the JMF’s you have. A spot check once a week or so is not a bad idea for QAQC reasons and to have on file in case a issue may arise.
If the auger is hyd operated a pressure gauge in the line should give you a good idea of the slump as it’s being mixed. That’s how slump meters work in transit mix trucks. The higher the pressure, the stiffer the slump.