• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volco ec240 cam position sensor

kevman6

I have not inspected the Cam gear. I have a camera that I might be able to worm down to the Cam sensor hole. Its pretty much not viewable any other way other than removing the Pump and flywheel.

kevman6

I traced the wires again today, pulled the cam sensor out and viewed the tone wheel. I cannot see anything abnormal there. While testing the wires to the cam sensor again, from the large square connector for where the engine harness connects to the ECM harness, I tested for ground and cannot find where the sensor can get it's ground from.
The ground wire is all good going into the large square harness connector, but lines up with a blank white plug on the ECU side of that square connector. There is a grounded pin right beside the ungrounded wire. Am I making sense or am I confusing everyone. I don't believe I have a ground for the Cam sensor unless there is a common ground I'm not finding. I have no continuity to ground and no ground that lines up with that ground wire.

kevman6

So the three wire connector going to the sensor is supposed to connect to nothing going to the ECM for ground. Is that correct?
There is no continuity to ground on that wire

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
That's acceptable. Refer to passive measuring that was attached as well as the schematics provided. You're only concerned if there is a cross-bleed between 1,2 & 3 with the ECU disconnected. Additionally, you don't want any continuity to any other pin as they are completely independent of all other circuits. Any continuity outside of the sensor itself must be eliminated.

kevman6

So far everything checks out OK, just still a problem. Might have to have Volvo field service put the computer on it

kevman6

Well, I had to resort to getting field service out there. He verified everything we checked. Signal was good all the way to the ECU at different RPMs. Going to have to find a good ECU

Thanks Paul and FWF for all the assistance and time spent helping me.

kevman6

Well, after field service condemned the ECU and waiting for a long time for them to get a new one, it did not cure the problem of the engine will not run with the cam sensor plugged in. Field service spent 6 hours there yesterday with no change. We have determined that the engine has been changed but there is no serial number tag on it. The cam sensor for the original engine should plug into the bell housing from the rear. This engine in it has the hole for the cam sensor in the block facing rearward. This he is saying is reading the cam signal different from what the ECU is looking for. What I need is to figure out what engines that look identical to the original would have had the sensor facing rearward into the block. I will have to change the rear housing and cam gears inside to make it right. Any knowledge out there is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Mike

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Heres 2 harness configurations. One for your machine, one for an L90F loader. Notice how one has an EGR solenoid and the other does not. Hope this helps you

Attachments

• EC240Cl eng harness.pdf
    358.3 KB · Views: 4
  • L90F eng harness.pdf
    361.8 KB · Views: 3

kevman6

Even though ithe diagrams don't show the position of the cam sensors, it looks like the harness for the L90F with D6E engine goes to the forward side of the flywheel housing and the original engine for the EC240cl goes to the rearward side. Is this correct? The question is, if the engine and flywheel housing were changed as a running engine, why would the cam and crank sensor now be out of sequence? Does the ECU read a different number of cam pulses per revolution for this engine and not like it? If that's the situation, it may be really hard to find a flywheel housing for a ec240cl with a hole in the rear side for the cam sensor.
The assumption by field service is that the valve cover is incorrect for the motor. He said hook up the EGR solenoid and let the hose vent to the atmosphere.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Did the dealer tech do a vehicle information test? Is the ECU for your excavator or for another machine? It shouldn't run with anything but an excavator ECU. #1/6 are the same no matter what. In fact, you showed a pic with cam sensor for your engine, facing fwd. We've already established that either the head or engine have been swapped. We saw that looking at the valve cover and relation to EGR solenoid.
This is gonna require some serious digging. I'll be back online this evening, we'll see what we can come up with.

kevman6

ECU is original from what we could tell. Rep programed the new ECU from the old one manually with no effect in codes or running conditions. At least he took the new one back with him and not charging us for it. The engine has a cam sensor that faces rearward. Rep says the correct original engine should have the cam sensor facing forward. We will need the correct flywheel housing and cam timing gears to fix this problem. (He thinks) It appears that whoever replaced the engine has replaced everything after the hyd pump forward as a unit. including the flywheel housing and cam timing gears. It probably ran fine in whatever unit it came out of if the ECU matched the engine. The valve cover on this engine does not match the engine it is on also. They possibly could have damaged the correct cover during the exchange. The valve cover is a minor problem, but doesn't make a lot of sense where it came from.