• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Virus Shutdown

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
people are so happy about the gas prices falling. So many people seem to think we can survive without the oil and gas sector, but they are going to find out that if the west goes down, so do the rest of us

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
This isn’t the plague IMO. It’s just another type of flu virus that just happens to be easily transmitted from person to person. People will contract it, get sick, recover, and life will go on just as it did before.

Some people will not recover, but that’s the same as the flu season every year. Preliminary estimates for the 2919-2020 flu season are up to 55,000 deaths worldwide. Deaths from this virus are still under 10,000 although those numbers will obviously rise as time passes.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Some people will not recover, but that’s the same as the flu season every year. Preliminary estimates for the 2919-2020 flu season are up to 55,000 deaths worldwide. Deaths from this virus are still under 10,000 although those numbers will obviously rise as time passes.

And as those most vulnerable are those over 70 and with respiratory problems I could see it having a serious effect on many on this forum. Just stop to think of all the dust ,welding fumes, solvent fumes and other things most of us have lived with on the job for decades!

Any of you young guys have questions? Better get them in while us old farts are still here!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The comment about North Korea brings up another country you don't hear anything about. What is happening in Russia? We started pointing fingers at China to start with about mishandling and starting this pandemic. Now people in China are saying we manufactured it a put it there. Russia had or has a biological warfare unit that actively developed diseases as a weapon of war. We are essentially in an electronic war right now with them actively developing electronic bugs to disrupt world societies in general and specifically us. I don't like the idea of spreading theories, but with nothing coming out about Russian sickness numbers, my mind starts to wander down that path.

kshansen

Occupation
Don't hear anything out of North Korea. Either isolasionism is working for them, or they just shoot infected people.
I actually am surprised someone has not started the rumor that the North Korean's are behind this virus.

How about this for a movie plot. Some country has their scientists develop a virus and a vaccine for it. Then after all their people have been vaccinated they release it in some country that is know to have dealings all over the world.

Then they just sit back and wait while all the other countries collapse under the strain of the virus. Now how long from the time I hit the "Post Reply" button will it take before this story line goes viral? Not sure if that was a good or poor choice of words!

kshansen

Occupation
How about the Russians want to keep Trump in power so the virus kills our economy and Trump declares a disaster and suspends elections because of the virus.
Yea but they would have to make sure he had received the vaccine as due to his age he would be on the hit list of the virus.

Welder Dave

Make sure to check the trunk if you buy a new Kia or Hyundai. A report on TV said the most affected group is in the 35-54 years old range but older people are more susceptible to it . China would mostly likely be the country of origin simply because of the population. The more people the more chance of a virus to spread. Just like more murders happen in bigger cities.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Let's be careful not to get into politics, please.

My personal conspiracy theory is that it was started by the millennials. Just think of the windfall to the Social Security fund if they could knock off 5-10 percent of the recipients in one fell swoop.

Nige

From what I can see in my current location it's the older generation who are very much into the "Keep Calm & Carry On" frame of mind. Taking sensible precautions obviously, but trying not to let it get too much in the way of getting on with life.

In comparison the Millenials are running around like the proverbial headless chooks.......... useless cnuts the lot of 'em. :mad::mad:

kshansen

Occupation
"My personal conspiracy theory is that it was started by the millennials. Just think of the windfall to the Social Security fund if they could knock off 5-10 percent of the recipients in one fell swoop."

You mean my step daughter might be in on this? Wait a second! We did recently mention to her that if my wife and I both go before needing to spend a long time in a nursing home she will not only get the house but my 401K. Joke may be on her as if the stock market crashes to much the 401K funds will be gone too!

Welder Dave

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be political. Some people are trying to blame it on China and make it a race issue which is wrong. China has the largest population so common sense would indicate there's more chance for any type of illness. Who knows it could have started in Italy but China were the first to figure out what it was. The Dr. in China who discovered it and has since died should be praised for letting the rest of the world know. I just hope it gets under control in a couple of month's instead of a year or longer.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Correct me if I'm wrong.... I keep hearing about 'flattening the curve' is one of the reasons for all the shutdowns. If so, how they will know when the curve has peaked?

aighead

Sounds like American Auto makers are shutting down. Honda, in the Ohio region is shutting down... Our governor just suggested that employers shouldn't allow employees in without checking their temperatures. I don't know how I feel about that, other than I don't really like it.

I don't know if it counts as political but to me this feels like either a test to see how far we can be pushed or training in the same respect. I'm certainly trying to follow guidelines as best I can but I'm not very worried even though I have a lot of folks in my circle who are at high risk. Maybe I'm naive.

AllDodge

My personal conspiracy theory is that it was started by the millennials. Just think of the windfall to the Social Security fund if they could knock off 5-10 percent of the recipients in one fell swoop.

I like it

Waiting for further confirmation, but also hear reports coming out from France that younger ones are starting to have a harder time with it

Nige

Waiting for further confirmation, but also hear reports coming out from France that younger ones are starting to have a harder time with it
No idea about France but the youngest person to die in the UK so far is a man in his 40’s who was diagnosed with motor neurone disease (MND) in mid-2018 and was given 2 years to live. So although I think that it could be agreed that Covid19 was a contributing factor to his death, it certainly wasn’t the main factor based on this article. The way the article is written certainly doesn’t make it look that way though, unless you read it very carefully.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-51941732

Queenslander

It seems to have been one rolling catastrophe here for the last twelve months.
Worst drought in recorded history followed by longest fire season ever, now this.
It is keeping the media headline writers busy though... they are struggling to find words other than apocalyptic, armageddon etc., which are getting a bit tired.

Last edited: