• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vintage Macks

Truckmodeler

Hey folks, how about a thread on the older Macks, pre-CL-350. Lots of LM's and LJ's were used on Vancouver Island. If you have any photos of the LMSW's or LJSW's or B's or LRVSW models or others, Post em here.

I'll start with a couple of trucks seen at the Sept. 2010 MacLean Mill meet. I've wanted to see a LMSW for years, this was a real treat for me to see one - Thanks HDX, fantastic restoration. Am I correct in assuming it is the only preserved LMSW logger??

The LJ has also been well restored. Seeing them at the same show was
pretty special.

If anyone has shots of vintage Macks in the logging industry, please post. Trakloader had a couple of shots some time ago of a LRVSW rigged with a spar, I'll see if i can find some other LRVSW shots.

The shots were all taken at the MacLean Mill.

Attachments

• DSC_0005 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0005 (Small).JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 4,996
  • DSC_0166 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0166 (Small).JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 4,134
  • DSC_0271 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0271 (Small).JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 4,493

Truckmodeler

OK, for some reason the shots of the LJ did not post. I'll try again.

Attachments

• DSC_0274 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0274 (Small).JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 3,794
  • DSC_0278 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0278 (Small).JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 3,854
  • DSC_0069 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0069 (Small).JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 3,646

HDX

Truckmodeler, Thank you for compliment. Yes Port Alberni has the ONLY two restored LMSWL and LJSW Macks that we know of I am HAYES through and through but sure have a soft spot for the old LM

Truckmodeler

Truckmodeler, Thank you for compliment. Yes Port Alberni has the ONLY two restored LMSWL and LJSW Macks that we know of I am HAYES through and through but sure have a soft spot for the old LM

I've always liked the look of the LMSWL. It just looks like it means business. Looks like a big, powerful off-road hauler, ready to go to work and haul far more than it should. In my opinion, one of the truly classic truck designs.

The LJSW looks great as well but I think its the off-set cab of the LMSWL that does it for me.

Regards.

alleyoop

Occupation
I am the house forman but dont tell her that
Nice pic. and thanks

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Here are a few pics of a Mack B615 I found on VI summer 2010. I'm pretty sure it will be restored:)

Attachments

• IMG_4057s.jpg
    IMG_4057s.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 3,239
  • IMG_4058s.jpg
    IMG_4058s.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 3,279
  • IMG_4056s.jpg
    IMG_4056s.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 3,225
  • IMG_4054s.jpg
    IMG_4054s.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 3,225
  • IMG_4055s.jpg
    IMG_4055s.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 3,242

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
I thinik that's the first 60 series B Model I have seen with twin stacks. Must have been a later version with a blower.

HDX

Vigilant There was some B61s used off highway/Highway up here although not a lot There was a few B87s with 12:00X24 tires Maybe Hayeslogtruck has a couple pics he could post of them His dad owns the LJ and also restored the B61 Mack pictured above Very nice jobs on both

Vigilant

Occupation
10-4. Thanks.

The few B Models I drove were pretty cramped for space. At 6'4, I had to do some folding up to get situated. Once I got my butt planted, all was well. I believe the first R Models came out in about 1965 or 1966. I drove several different trucks of that vintage, some with Duplexes, and some with Quadruplexes. Also, one nice 1968 R Model with a 270 V8 and a Duplex. That was one sweet old truck, except for the lack of a Jake.

HDX

Saw a old Mack up here with a molded chrome nameplate on each side that said BCR and it took some time to find out what it was all about It meant B model converted to an R model so it was an old B model but updated to the R model body. I was really impressed by that. Dont know if that was very common or not but there she was. In hindsight I should have taken a picture of that thing. OH WELL

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Weyerhaeuser in Washington and Oregon had a bunch of B's then R's later. They were glider kit fanatics at Weyco and it makes me wonder if some of these rigs I saw in the 70's may not have been converted from B's? Goodness knows they stepped over dollars to save dimes all the time- this sounds like something they'd have done for sure!

Vigilant

Occupation
CL: Did you know Milt Emerick at Vail? I believe he ran a lot of gliders.

Vigilant

Occupation
BTW, one of the things that bothered my dad the most back in the day was people who could not, or would not, spell the Weyerhaeuser name properly. Needless to say, since my dad was my hero, still is, and always will be, I got that right at about age 12.

isx525

Emerick had off-highway trucks at white-river ( weyco) in the mid 70's. I think he put a glider or two together while there. one of the guys that built the kit later became a shop supe at the kenworth dealer in Midway (seatac)

Vigilant

Occupation
I have heard of some shops that could kit a truck out completely in a day.

Too bad FET killed gliders so quickly. It was a pretty sweet deal for a while.

I heard that back in about the mid Seventies, some whizz bang nerd with the IRS tried to bill Emerick for highway use tax for every gallon of fuel he bought when, as far as I know, he ran at least mostly off road. I recall that he had to jump through a whole lot of hoops and sweat a good bit before he convinced them that he did not owe them one thin dime.

I saw one of his trucks at Vail when I was there in 1995, an ex-Weyco off-highway C500. I would be surprised if he was still going today.

Last edited:

Jdigger4130

COOOOOLLLL!!!! Not many Macks here in Cali to peruse. You guys are really lucky as far as I am concerned.. My favorite thing to look at is old boneyards and you seem to have many. NOTHING and I mean almost nothing left to peek at here in the SF bay area. I drive 100-300 miles to see ANY old machinery. I assume "dirt" around here is worth too much to keep "junk" around.

excavator

A friend of mine has a BCR. I'm told that Mack made a kit where you could put a R model cab on a B model frame. Like was said earlier, the B model cab was really cramped for space and that seems to have been the reason for doing it. I will try and get some pic of it to post.

Dualie

here in the bay area dirt is worth to much and so is scrap. I seen a lot of good iron go to the scrapper for those two reasons