• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Video where Indonesian Takes Cat Down Mountainside Pioneering Road?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I remember once years ago I was watching a TV show about something that included a video of that indonesian road builder who pioneered a road for a mining company down what looked like a cliff face. Shot from some distance away and looked like a fly on a wall. Is my memory faulty or has anyone else seen this or know where to find it?

alco

I know the one you are talking about. I believe it was part of the video about Grasberg, called "Goldmine in the clouds". I would search for that and see what you can find.

ben46a

I watched that a few times years ago as well and thouroughly enjoyed it. I haven't been able to find it since either, even on the discovery channel website.

entasis

amazon instant video has "superstructures of the world: grassburg mine" - it costs $1.99 to stream

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Someone may correct me on this but I was under the impression that the D6 (you see a flash of it at 0:19 on the youtube video) was helicoptered piece by piece to a pad on top of a hill that had been previously cleared by hand and was assembled on the spot. Then it was given the job of cutting a road working downwards across the ridge line.

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
Quote from the Grasberg wikipedia page:

"By the mid-1980s, the original mine had been largely depleted. Freeport explored for other deposits in the area. In 1988, Freeport identified reserves valued at $40 billion at Grasberg (Dutch, "Grass Mountain"), just 3 kilometres (1.9 miles) from the Ertsberg mine. The winding road to Grasberg, the H.E.A.T. (Heavy Equipment Access Trail), was estimated to require $12 million to $15 million to be built. An Indonesian road-builder who had contributed to the Ertsberg road took a bulldozer and drove it downhill sketching the path. The road cost just $2 million when completed."

I remember at that time seeing a short documentary style movie showing the Indonesian bulldozer operator working down the cliffs and razorbacks. It seemed like it was solo effort, and the accomplishment made him a hero there. Maybe that's what the original poster was thinking of. (The film had many long telephoto shots of the machine on the side of the mountain.)

Last edited: