• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Video surveillance security systems.

mattyt1984

Someone just stole 4 tires and rims off of my gator in my yard. I am now looking into either fencing my yard and or getting a video surveillance system installed. My yard is about 500 feet across the front and goes back about 1000 feet. I would not fence all of it just the frontage and the sides. Biggest drawback on this is having to open 2 gates everyday and having them large enough for tractor trailers. I also am looking into WiFi camera system I am concerned with the night vision of these though . Any suggestions on any of this stuff?

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
Following, I have looked at several systems including ring, but haven't made a decision yet. I would like motion detection, night vision, hd video and a notification system.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
From my experience Lorex is very great, point the cameras not outwards but inwards and you will have least dead spots plus some like to hide their face going in and some forget to hide it going out. Bright LED lights deter thefts, also visible dummy cameras with blinking red lights are great to steer your would be bandit towards your hidden cameras. A PTZ camera can detection motion turn towards it and zoom in, they also take the place of two cameras. PTZ Pan Tilt Zoom. Now day cameras are so great with night vision some actually have color such as Lorex. Lorex is the same as the one who makes Flir cameras, heat signature equipment and they are great.

Tinkerer

I have a Ring doorbell and floodlight at my shop. The Ring infrared images are not very good in total darkness.
Both brands of cameras provide instant smartphone notifications when they detect motion.
The Ring image is a visitor I had the other night at my house backdoor with a Ring doorbell camera.
coon.png
I have an Amcrest inside the shop pointed at the door, it works quite well.
Below is an infrared image of my shop from last night during an intense rainstorm.
Both images were captured from video recordings.
shop.png

Last edited:

sillej

Occupation
Computer Geek
I use a lot of Ubiquiti (www.ubnt.com) in the side work I do outside my corporate gig. These need to be hard wired and fed with poe gear, but if you put a battery backup on the recorder and switch that powers them then power outages are non issue and you get supper high quality with pro features. What I mean by pro features is being able to take a camera feed and block out a trigger area for motion such as a busy road in the background etc.