• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Video: In-cab view of Komatsu PC5500-6

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Amazing machine- thanks!

I was wondering about system pressure on a machine that size. Found some interesting specs here. 4500 psi, same as our 160's.

Everything seems scaled up except for the hoses. That might be just the way they look- they probably look bigger in your hand:D

I'm still wondering why they mount the boom cylinders upside down???.

alco

I'm still wondering why they mount the boom cylinders upside down???.

It's to keep dust and debris from building up against the wipers and doing damage to the wipers and seals as it is drug up and down the rod.

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
You don't have to increase the pressure to get larger lifting force, you just have to increase the surface area the fluid is in contact with (wider piston heads).

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
It's to keep dust and debris from building up against the wipers and doing damage to the wipers and seals as it is drug up and down the rod.

Another reason is the way the hydraulic hoses are mounted to the cylinder, if they were to put the barrel at the bottom then you would need longer hoses and they would be hanging in the way and just look untidy.

You don't have to increase the pressure to get larger lifting force, you just have to increase the surface area the fluid is in contact with (wider piston heads).

Correct.

Awesome! thanks for posting
What size dozer is that in the first video?

It's a Caterpillar D10T.

Attachments

• 118.jpg
    118.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 3,755

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
sure do seem slow but they do move alot. i wonder how much fuel it burns a day

Standard tank holds 10800 litres of fuel. They get refueled every 12 hours (I dont work here so I'm just guessing), though thats not to say they have completey emptied the tank. I'm going to hazarad a guess here that each engine burns about 180-200 litres per hour, so 400 litres per hour for both, 4800 litres per 12 hour shift, 9600 litres per 24 hour period, though I do believe this particular mine site works 9.5 hour shifts. Gavin84w may be the man to ask for this.

Some other fuel stats that I do know, from places I have worked:

Caterpillar 793C - 230 litres per hour (Caterpillar 3516)

Komatsu PC8000-6 - 260 litres per hour, per engine (2x Komatsu SDA16V160 aka Cummins QSK60 engines)

Demag H655-S - 320 litres per hour, per engine (2x CAT 3516 engines)

Gavin84w

Worked at this site for 18 months and had a really enjoyable time there. The PC5500 we had there were apparently No 2 & 3 off the line, there is a 3rd machine there now aswell.

The machines biggest issues were the cylinders, you actually have to shim the head seal gland packing to stop leaks and when you could shim no more a replacement packing had to be fitted which on a stick cyl we could do in about 2-3 hours when hot, and that was not pretty. Hardpipes in th valve area constantly cracked and we replaced with hoses in some cases.

Any big digger takes a lot of PM and if you have not got fitters hanging out of them everymoment they are not swinging you have got something wrong at your site, you just need to be so on top of them as they are such a critical tool.

Funny i cant remember how much fuel we used to put in them and i did it a number of times but i think we only did it once a day and the machines worked 2 10 hour shifts back to back and we had a 3 hourwindow from 5-8 in the afternoon.

Have loaded a few trucks with them when i was there and it is pretty cool to do so, albeit very carefully!!

Gavin84w

Wow, those guys dont mess around, first class production.

Thats why contractors get the nod, owner miners are just not up to it!!!

The set up used to be and appears to still be a goal of zero exchange time beetween trucks and it is achievable on good set ups.Lot of wrong ways and right ways to be found on the tube, a very good training tool actually.

alco

One of our contractors is running a new PC5500 on our site. Seems to be a nice machine, sure is fast. They also have a machine that's just about ready for retirement, and one that we already retired. They bought it, and started running it on rental to us. That was about 6 years ago, and it's still giving a strong showing in daily service. Those RH200s are damn tough machines. The one that's almost ready for retirement is the H740OS.

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
Do you happen to know the exact differences between the H655-S and the H740-OS as I'm quite interested to know? I have seen pictures etc but never specs...

alco

I'm not sure of the exact differences between the two, but I do know the 740 is heavier and has more hp. I can say that she's in some sad shape right now, needs a lot of TLC.

RobVG

Occupation
The machines biggest issues were the cylinders... replacement packing had to be fitted which on a stick cyl we could do in about 2-3 hours

Gavin, i've never worked on anything that big:eek: Did you do the work in the field? Did you remove the cylinders to work on them or just the rods? How did you get the rod or cylinder off the machine? Usually you have to remove the piston to get to the gland seal- how did you get them off and on? What torque are they put on with? What's the barrel diameter? (Believe it or not, I tried to narrow the questions down:D)

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
Rob, the work is done in the pit and on the machine but I do believe you may have misinterpreted what Gav wrote. You do not have to remove the cylinder as a whole nor the head or rod. On Komatsu's excavator cylinders you have what they call a flange bushing which is bolted to the cylinder head. When the cylinder leaks (from the chevron seals), as Gav said, you can remove a shim of 0.8mm thickness (2 halfs) for re-packing (sealing). Each cylinder has four (8 halfs) 0.8mm shims and 1 (2 halfs) 2.0mm shim. Once you have removed all the shims it is time to repack the flange bushing. To do this, you simply remove the inner circle of bolts on the cylinder head and slide it up the rod, remove the sealing elements and replace with new (which comrpise of hard-plastic backring, back-up ring, 5 chevrons and a header ring) In the top of the support bush is a scraper ring retainer, seperate this to remove and replace the scraper ring (wiper seal) Put it all back together, with new shims and torque the bolts (Dont know the tension of the top of my head sorry :() Start the machine and hope the oil leak has stopped! Sorry I dont know the barrel diameter, I would take a guess but I'm too pedantic, I would preffer to give you the exact measurments, but I will find out. Hope this answers some of your questions :D

RobVG

Occupation
Thanks Chris, I should have figured they weren't like the ones I'm familiar with.

Gavin84w

Yep, just like Chris said, the chevron packing is split so you can just slip them over and around the rod and then slide them into the head.