1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Vickers solenoid dump valve repair (JLG component)

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by colson04, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

LMAO!

2. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

You could use some Teflon tape on the threads with the oring and call it a day.

mg2361 likes this.
  3. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    Yep, you got a cracked manifold. I hate it when that happens

4. JLarson

JLarson Senior Member

Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
    Make sure you use that real cheap stuff from home creapo.

Spud_Monkey likes this.
  5. partsandservice

partsandservice Senior Member

I my experience when the CORRECT o'ring is blown there is often an under lying issue. It is common for hose flange ends to be cracked in high pressure applications (6000 psi) .

6. colson04

colson04 Senior Member

Update:

I have 2 hydraulic shops near me. A father owns one that only works on big hydraulic stuff, the son owns an equally sized shop that only works on small hydraulic stuff. Both shops are large, an employ lots of people. Big shop says my valve body is too small, go see the other shop, 5 miles away. I go see the owner himself of the little shop. He examines it and says basically my part is scrap and that there is a machine shop in Marne, MI that specializes in building one off replacement valve bodies and hydraulic manifolds, but it isn't cheap.

I talked to a close friend who's dad owns a modern machine shop. My buddy and his dad looked it over and sent me to a fabrication shop nearby to have it ground out and welded up. I got the welded part back yesterday and dropped it off to my buddy at their shop. They actually have the cartridge tooling for machining manifold and are going to try and salvage my part.

7. partsandservice

partsandservice Senior Member

Not to throw shade as I wish you luck in repairing your block, but that crack extends all the way to the pressure port, not just what you see. Have you searched for a used block, do you have the part number of the block?

8. colson04

colson04 Senior Member

The machine shop that did the welding chased the crack with a mill until it stopped in an adjoining port. Is this a surefire fix? I don't know. We'll see if it turns out. The part was scrap before, and if it stays scrap, that's a bummer, but I'm no farther behind for trying it.

As for a used part, yes, I called many equipment dismantlers across the country and nobody has one. JLG's p/n is 4640716. A search on machinery trader shows 3 dealers with 4 parts in stock. A call to all 3 dealers showed nobody actually has that part anymore and Machinery Trader's advertised inventory is incorrect. That said, this part was installed on 9 different models over a 8 or so year period in the early 90s, so if you have a lead, by all means send it to me. I'm losing money by not having this machine running right now.

9. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

Haaaahhhhhhh!. I'd be peeved if that was me, but its not me- so its hilarious.

Sorry your having trouble getting it fixed. Call the rental house until you get yours up?

Edit: I saw you've been renting. The joys of old cheap equipment, means you can afford to have 2 pieces of old equipment, so you have either a parts machine, or one you run when the "good" one is down.....:D

colson04 likes this.
  10. colson04

colson04 Senior Member

I have to laugh about your last comment. I saw another JLG for sale fairly local, 40H instead of a 45HA. Slightly smaller machine, straight boom, but was priced under $5000. Machine was complete and operable, but had a bad leak from the boom. I considered it, talked to seller and discussed it with my wife and then decided I didn't need a project machine right now. Fast forward 6 weeks, that machine would have had the part I need today as they share the same accessory valve body. I could have swapped valve blocks and been right back to work.

Truck Shop likes this.