• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

vibromax steering

kgwfarm

First post been reading forum for several years. my experience is life long farmer, ten years cat field mechanic, two years service manager, independent mechanic 12 years. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Vibromax vm106d requires excess force to rotate steering wheel. Steering system pressure is correct, both cylinder packings are good, hmu orbital motor new. return filter replaced. The orbital motor is open centered and return oil is charge for hydrostatic pumps. There have been no other operational complaints on machine. Back pressure is my belief but not sure how to determine due to return going into both hydrostatic pumps.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF kgwfarm:D. I'm sure someone with Vibromax knowledge will be along soon;).

TVA

Have no idea about vibromax but if you wondering about the flow - check charge pressure on hydrostatic pumps, if you know the correct charge pressure that should be.

TVA

What is the models of pumps? Usually charge is 250-350 psi. But here the kicker: pressure available for the gerotor in the orbital valve have to be calculated as delta P between pumps charge pressure and whatever you have coming in to steering.

For example if you have 2000 psi at port P of sterring and your charge pressures on the pump is 350, then your available pressure for steering is 1650.

Last edited:

kgwfarm

Thanks for response. Will have to get pump brand when machine returns, hard to steer but is runnable and back out on a job. Charge pressure is 350 psi as per spec. Steering pressure is 2100psi, spec. 2030psi.While checking cylinder packings, rod extended, and head end line removed. No oil bypassing piston seals while turning steering wheel continuously. However significant oil flow from removed line. Could oil be back flowing from hydrostatic pumps in return line of steering motor that is also charge supply to hydrostatic pumps. Thanks again for advise will be able to do further checks when machine returns.

TVA

Check the case drain of motors for obstruction, theoretically one of the shuttle valves on Hydrostatics can have damage and passing system pressure to change circuits. But I never had that experience. Usually shuttles come together with port reliefs, it’s kind of weaker spring valves on top of a strong spring valve. Check the seat of the shuttle for damage.

TVA

Sorry, I’m driving and will be driving for two more days, can’t really look at diagram.

kgwfarm

2030 psi is vibromax spec. Thanks. I do not have the machine at this time and may be a week or more before have it back.

TVA

Also check both pumps for being off null, that may cause some back feeding to charge circuit. But the main thing is case drain! Everything in closed loop goes through case drain!!!

TVA

To get you in right direction - rig up the line bypassing pumps to tank, after return filter. Lower the pressure 350 psi ( because you took pumps out of the picture) and see if it will get better, if it will start investigating pumps.

About oil coming out: look at the diagram of orbitrol, two check valve in counter balance group, both of them will be open when steering not used because charge pressure will be feeding through tank port - so oil coming out of hoses is normal at neutral power steering.

Another thing ( I’ve been burned on it recently) question diagrams and specs, there’s always discrepancies! First thing I would do is increase power steering pressure another 350 psi. Because not only you loosing 350 psi Delta P on gerotor of orbitrol but also on cylinders!

kgwfarm

I agree with last post! Will do as advised when machine returns, and update on results.
THANK'S

TVA

Get this: let’s say steering craps out, throws bunch of debris on to return filter, filter gets clogged, bypass opens up and rest of debris go straight for pumps, which closed loop and will recycle those debris killing both pumps whatever in the loop with them. Good for manufacturers - bad for owner!

TVA

That was hypothetical - just to show the stupidity of it. Manufacturer saved money on this, if you factor in how many this units produced- lots of money. I don’t remember who told me but I think there’s the law was passed recently that manufacturer of AG and EC must separate safety systems like steering and breaks from rest of the systems - which for me only makes sense!

kgwfarm

Still waiting on customer to get to a point where we can stop mchine to perform test. I appreciate the help, and not wanting to leave thread hanging. Originally believed machine would be available before now.

TVA

I am interested in why the orbitrol was replaced in the first place?
Was it totally dead or did it become weak?