• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vibratory roller for skid. Any good?

Canadian_digger

Does any body have a vibratory roller for their skid steer? I was wondering how well they work? How would they compare to a Drum roller with the same drum width for compaction? Or a diesel plate compactor? Thanks.

Turbo21835

What are you compacting? My experience is with the cat version. It does a decent job, but in very thin lifts. Generally we use 4-8 inches of stone, and 4-8 inches of sand under pavement around here. We were running it on a 277 for a while, and it seemed to do pretty good, i think the tracks helped out. When we put it on a smaller wheeled machine, it did horrible. We were doing a major parking lot, and we should have been using a decent sized smooth drum. In fact, we did not make the compaction numbers on our stone, so we had to get our smooth drum in.

If you were to be doing patches, or doing driveways, it would be worth it. I think it would be use full if you were taking it out to a complete job with a skid steer it would be worth it. Might even be nice to do utility trench paving. Just straddle the trench with the roller attachment and roll your new asphalt out.

salopez

I have used one and loved it. however they are not cost effective. at 5-8k you can buy a nice 2-3 ton stand alone roller.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I have the Bobcat 48" version. It does a good job for what it is intended for which is small, close quarters compaction.

I purchased it for a townhome project several years ago. This project had full basements with 1 car garages at the main level. I calculated the cost of full stone backfill VS the cost of the roller, labor, time (10' high basement walls) and I could pay for the roller over the time of the job and save around $12K. (I would have some skid steer time involved in placing the stone and already had the skid.) Easy decision I purchased one.

It is a pad foot with a smooth drum shell, although I have never used the smooth shell. We used on-site material to fill the garages, 8" at a time with the roller on a T190. We had no problem meeting compaction after 2 passes. The material was chert (128 PCF), which is a quartz and clay mixture, that is compacted easily.

We also used the roller to compact the front backfill, which was considerable due to the sloping of the excavation to safely allow the construction of the concrete walls. Compaction was also important due to the only access for the telehandlers would be from the street, so the fill had to stand up to abuse.

But like Turbo21835 said, it is not a replacement for a roller on a large job, although it does have it's place. It depends on what you want to the roller to do.