• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vertical Lift or Radial Lift

billman555555

Been looking at getting myself a small CTL for work (grooming MX track and MTB jumps ect) and i really cant tell which to invest in.

Currently my options are the Cat 239D (Radial) and the Cat 249D (Vertical).
The work load will be split between doing short distance movment of dirt/grading and filling up trucks. Most of our work is done using excavators but we still need a good option for moving lots of dirt quickly and making the most of all the other fancy gadgets out there (angle broom, forks, backhoe (maybe), brushcutter, ect).

So, radial or vertical lift?

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
A vertical lift can do everything a radial can do but not the other way round. Choices. :)

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
Ha Ha....Who would know getter than me ?
If my seven year old CAT MTL with 7000 plus hours on the clock can hold up to all my abuse and then be handed over to three teenage boys who rolled it over twice that i know of and still keep going is the best endorsement I can make for CAT MTL/CTL equipment.
I did replace both track frames , they were covered in full by CAT and came with a nice avenger. Change that fixed the issue....

Todd v.

I went radial, I needed the reach at mid-lift and figured that two arm pivots would get less slop than 4 over time. Just today I had to dump dirt between a new sidewalk and house, would not have been able to reach with a vertical lift machine.

But a verticle will generally go higher and handle more weight for a given machine. Always a tradeoff.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The sight lines for grading tend to better with a radial lift. They are a more simple design and tend to be more rugged, less grease points. Vertical lift machines have more reach at max. height which makes truck loading easier. One rule of thumb is that if you spend most of your time from ground level to the mid point of the cab, you would likely be better off with a radial machine. If you spend more time from the mid point of the cab to the top of its lift height, a vertical lift machine would be a better fit.

movindirt

After seeing your other post about the MTL, CTL difference, the new 239D and 249D machines are very nice, put a number of hours on a 239D with the "landscaper" tracks and it hands down pushed better then our 247's do, animal of a machine. The cabs are awesome, radio is in a goofy spot but other than that I loved it. How much are they saying they are going to cost you? Haven't run a 249D yet, but if its anything like the 239D I'm sure its great!

HRPServicesTX

Occupation
Land Management, Fencing, Metal Buildings, Arenas,
I'd prob go with vertical, I have one. Just keep greased good, stay on maintenance, when those loader arms get slop in them replace the bushings. I'm replacing the bushings on mine in a week, with 1200 hours on it....should've at around 750 hours. Just couldn't get the time to do it.

billman555555

After seeing your other post about the MTL, CTL difference, the new 239D and 249D machines are very nice, put a number of hours on a 239D with the "landscaper" tracks and it hands down pushed better then our 247's do, animal of a machine. The cabs are awesome, radio is in a goofy spot but other than that I loved it. How much are they saying they are going to cost you? Haven't run a 249D yet, but if its anything like the 239D I'm sure its great!

Cat reckons the 249D is almost exactly like a 239D, only vertical lift and a slightly better ROC 50%. Havnt got a quote on either yet but im heading down to my cat dealer tomorrow to demo a few compact excavators so i will ask them then

billman555555

Also, thanks to everyone who replied! Looks like vertical is the choice over radial for 90% of what im doing. Thanks guys!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The sight lines for grading tend to better with a radial lift. They are a more simple design and tend to be more rugged, less grease points. Vertical lift machines have more reach at max. height which makes truck loading easier. One rule of thumb is that if you spend most of your time from ground level to the mid point of the cab, you would likely be better off with a radial machine. If you spend more time from the mid point of the cab to the top of its lift height, a vertical lift machine would be a better fit.

My thoughts too KSSS. I prefer radial because my CTL is mostly used for grading.

The vertical lift machines come with more wear points as it's been stated and there is no reason to add maintenance to a machine if you are not getting the benefit.

rondig

Occupation
excavation
I have both....auger is harder on radial...but grading and mowing I prefer with radial....but radial sucks at loading trucks , but is way better and loading the smaller dump trailers...I find the radial has less" sway" when doing heavy ground work

billman555555

I have both....auger is harder on radial...but grading and mowing I prefer with radial....but radial sucks at loading trucks , but is way better and loading the smaller dump trailers...I find the radial has less" sway" when doing heavy ground work

So digging is harder with a radial, same with loading, but mowing and grading are easier.

Maybe i should get a mower for mowing.... Haha

Thanks for the help though!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
So digging is harder with a radial, same with loading, but mowing and grading are easier.

No digging and grading is best handled with a radial machine. As rondig said, a vertical lift has more "sway" when digging hard material which increases wear on the additional pins and bushings. It's basically racking the loader arms when your digging hard ground.

rondig

Occupation
excavation
Mowing is one of my best money makers...it gets my foot in the door with many big companies. I guess not too many guys do it around here. It leads to many more jobs on same sites. Everyone around here has an auger and buckets. Another HUGE advantage I picked up on for the radial machine is way better view out of the rear window...ran both today, vertical was augering and radial was on post pounder...

Last edited:

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
Not to hijack a thread- because I've run this same thought process as well. But have a question for those more knowledgeable-

I have a CAT 242, which ending in a 2, is a vertical machine. As a newbie, when I bought it used didn't even know the difference. But a lot of my uses vertical is best for me- so I'm good. But- when I am doing hard pushing, there are push blocks on the frame that the loader arms land on, and are pushing to the front which looks to take a lot of load off of the bushings in the vertical lift arms. And as I recall, the owners manual suggests using them for that point. On newer C & D series vertical CAT machines, I'm not seeing these blocks anymore. Am I missing them, or no longer in the design, or what?