• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

VersaHandler V518

Anybody here have one? What do you like about it and what does it have for lifting capacity?

Cumminstech

Occupation
CAT 345mh operator
We have one at our school and its not too bad of a machine. It has if im not mistaken a 5000 pound rating and a 110 horse perkins engine. The machine itself is kinda sluggish with lifting and tilting whatever you may have attatched i.e. forks or a bucket. We used it to load our freightliner and we also used it for demolition. We had problems with it not wanting to start in the cold several times, it is very tempremental in cold weather. Overall its not a bad machine. I like the fact that we have a ton of attatchments for it and it does whatever we need done.

Usernametaken

BUMP this one up. We have one. We're limited in it's use since all we have are forks and a clam shell bucket. Ours starts great in the winter time, it's just a bitch to service.
We let a ra-tard use it once and now the boom leans to the left. Anything I could do to remedy this?

barklee

Will the inner booms move when you tilt the carrige to the left or the right? If so he could have busted a wear pad or broken chain. Otherwise it could be a bent boom, pins, frame. If somethings bent the only thing you can do is replace it or have someone straighten it. If the booms bent it would be on a truck going to the auctions!!! If you could post a pic it would help.

Usernametaken

The carriage doen't tilt . It operates normally just hard as heck to enter a pallet . I'll have to look closer but I seen nothing as far as pads wrong just by looking. It does seem to straighten up a little when retracted fully but not much.

barklee

Well you could try to rock the booms back and forth by hand. You could run the booms all the way out and hold a string against it to see if there is anything bent. Although several feet of each boom section doesnt come out far enough to string so i may be very difficult to tell. By the way you say it straightens up before the booms all the way in makes me think the boom is tweaked. Take a real hard look at the boom right where it straightens up. It doesnt take much of a side load to bend a boom section.

cuffs

Occupation
Bobcat Service Tec
I just took a bobcat v638 versahandler apart the complete boom,hoses,gator belt,box and cylinder.This will be the second time i have done this and let me tell you the shims dont always go back the way they come out.I hope that this machine never comes back.This guy thought buying one from us was going to be to much so he bought one in the USA ..he saved 30 thousand ..but i had to repair this machine from day one so now he has payed more to have it fixed then it would to have bought a new one ..

bsebastian

We had this too... guy was pushing snow and hit a curb and bent the mount all to hell. it's a pricey fix.
Have you considered letting that same idiot run it into something on the right side this time?
.'o)

Kerf15

my machine has a intermittent problem. it won't reverse and it will go forward in neutral. doesn't happen all the time, maybe 1/2 a dozen times today, and 1/2 a dozen time it was fine. it started doing this last June till December. used it from Jan to March with no problems ever, moved mountains of snow with it, not peep. then a few weeks ago it starts acting up again. we've changed shift control arm, solenoids around pump control, fuses, checked wiring. nothing seems to help. all other functions work all of the time. the reverse beeper even comes on.

Bobcat suggests using 10w-30 for an alternate hydraulic oil, I topped up the oil a few weeks ago, just before the machine started to act up again. I would hope this isn't the reason.

any thoughts?

hartley75

So did you ever get your shifting problem fixed? I recently bought one of these machines used and the intermittent thing started happening about a month ago. Won't go in reverse, lunges forward in neutral, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kerf15

it turned out to be the computer. had to replace it. $1900 for the piece. we tried everything else, solonoids, control arm, went over the wiring, countless times. always thought it could have been the computer, didn't want to spend the money, ended up spending at least twice as much as I should have. couldn't get any straight answers to the problem. changed the computer, machine hasn't skipped a beat since. been well over a yr now. tried to find an after market cpu, no luck.

I bought a skidsteer power take off. I run all of my farm 3 point hitch attachments with the telehandler. snow blower, post pounder, brush mower. machine works great...when it's working.

let me know if you have any questions. nice to hear from somebody finally

Gapuller

I know this is an old thread, but anyway....
I have a 518 that all of a sudden stopped moving. Replaced diodes and got it to move in reverse and then finally went forwards and backwards. Moved 50' and back to nothing...
Any thoughts?

Kerf15

my guess would be the computer. it sounds similar. I tried everything before I went to that. if you can do alot of the work yourself its worth a trying a few different things, but it probably cost me a few thousand dollars trying to do everything else but change the computer. it cost me $1900 for the computer. the ****** thing is, once you plug it in, you've bought it, regardless if it fixes the problem or not. so I don't blame you for hesitating.....I recently ran into starter solenoid issues. have you located those? they are in an incredible tough to get spot. my mechanic relocated so they are easy to get to now. have gone through starters quite regularly as well...not a perfect machine by any stretch, but, when it is working, which is most of the time, it's awesome. good luck.

Burgess

Kerf we are trying to figure out how/where to get the the pump control solenoids, can you tell me?

Kerf15

Not exactly sure of this is right. I took a couple of photos of two solenoids attached to the pump. Trying to send them. What is the machine not doing?9

Broke too

I have a hydraulic leak coming out of the boob of a Bobcat v417 Versahadler. what is the trick to taking the boom apart?