• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

vaporizor replaced

trailer king

Occupation
equipment opperater
I changed the vaporizer in my Clark lift.
Once the vaporizer pressurized I heard a soft pot
i assume that
diagram reaching full. Now I can't seem to control the fuel no matter what direction I turn it. And I am assuming that the flat oval flat brass screw is the air mix. Please tell me how to properly adjust both. And where to start. I also have vapor leaking at the seal of the fuel adjustment nut and need to know how to get it off. It leaks even with engine off.

BillG

Well first off we have to determine what brand components that you have. Machine of this age can have any number of components and combinations, the model number means very little. Also what was originally used may have been retrofitted many times. Brands such as J&S, Algas, Beam, Century,Zenith,Impco and others. I have intermixed components many times to get a customer out of trouble. Post pictures of everything and I will try and help.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Will have a Evaporator and a Regulator, some were built into the evaporator. Another problem can be lack of coolant into the evaporator where the system cannot do so and is delivering raw liquid LP.

trailer king

Occupation
equipment opperater
Well first off we have to determine what brand components that you have. Machine of this age can have any number of components and combinations, the model number means very little. Also what was originally used may have been retrofitted many times. Brands such as J&S, Algas, Beam, Century,Zenith,Impco and others. I have intermixed components many times to get a customer out of trouble. Post pictures of everything and I will try and help.

trailer king

Occupation
equipment opperater
Here are three photos!
1. The old evap.
2. The new evap. Installed
3. The ID plate of my forklift.

Attachments

• WP_20190623_16_38_44_Pro.jpg
    WP_20190623_16_38_44_Pro.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • WP_20190623_16_39_17_Pro.jpg
    WP_20190623_16_39_17_Pro.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • WP_20190623_16_40_53_Pro.jpg
    WP_20190623_16_40_53_Pro.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

trailer king

Occupation
equipment opperater
I do believe that I replaced like and kind. It is the brand, all the plumbing connections were the same and both sides of the evaporator were the same. How ever the one I put in was a more resent year model. Even the mount bolts and holes where the same size.
Personally I think I got air mix and the fuel supply adjustments points so far out wack by missing with them, thinking that was the issue.
When I removed old evap. I took it apart to inspect before removing it. I did notice one hole for sure and possible two to three other nicks that very well could been holes.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Was the vaporizer new? or a reman or just used? Should be able to get rebuild kits, diaphram springs and shut off valve on line. Will be a smaller device inline somewhere that is a liquid pressure regulator to keep from over pressurizing this unit.

trailer king

Occupation
equipment opperater
This was a new unit. I had it stored away. The propane from tank to carb is as follows:
Tank hose to a little filter/connection that is mounted to the body where the line enters the engine compartment. From there to the J model vaporizer unit. Out the other side of the vaporizer to the the carb. No other component has ever been installed and have had the lift for several years. This being the first problem.
In a prior post I indicated that I feel that I put the thing in the twilight zone for tampering with the mix and fuel screws when should not have prior to replacing the evaporator. That being said after putting in the new evaporator I am left with the next step of getting the fuel level and correct air mix proper again. I also can visually see the fuel adjustment nut on carb is leaking from the adjustment nut rubber seal.
I think its best that I focus on the following items in order as I listed first then move to replacing part that may or may not have failed.
1. How do I remove the fuel adjustment not yo replace its rubber seal.
2. What is the best preset position for the fuel.
3. What is the best preset position for the air.
After replacing fuel nut seal and I reinstall the nut.
The fuel may not be shutting off because of the leaf. The carb. And it acting like a stuck float.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
There is next to nothing in these units, order a set of diaphragms as one or more is popped.

What they will not note expecting you to already know is to start ALL the screws on one cover by FINGERS, as far as can without pulling down beyond touching then snug all the screws to a reasonable snugged set alternating as would lug nuts. Pinching a diaphragm sucks as then the screw threads ball it up and tear it to pieces.