• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2001 1st & 2nd pictures #40-96 P16 Pacific with a load of Cedar and Skagit Tower in back ground . 3rd & 4th pictures Grader Man Bill Laktin fueling up . Bill was a genuine character , he was at Renfrew Div. when I hired on the first time in 1966 , and was a "Home Guard" until he retired . He had a hearing issue , but I think it was selective . Ask him to do something , he wouldn't hear you . Call him lazy behind his back and he would respond immediately . One time Bruce Wilson was the Hook Tender on a Steel Tower . Bill was working on the Landing . Bruce was doing some chore in the Landing . Bill goes over and asked Bruce if he needed a hand . Bruce thought he could handle it himself , so Bill went across the Landing to start a "Lunch Fire" . About then Bruce found he did need a hand , he called over to Bill to come over and give him a hand . Bills response , sorry Bruce I'm busy now !scan378.jpg scan379.jpg scan380.jpg scan381.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2001 A couple of Hayes Log Trucks 1st picture an HDX Hayes 2nd picture a P16 Pacific on the road 3rd picture a Hayes HDX at the front of a line up of loads waiting to cross Highway to dump at Honeymoon Bay DLS 4th picture is long time ( Malloch & Mosley , Forestland Industries , Hayes Forest Service ) Log Truck Driver ,scan386.jpg scan387.jpg scan388.jpg scan389.jpg Bill Spiller pulling a load up "Jack Shaft Summit" with a P16 Pacific.

camptramp

Occupation
Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1st picture #40-96 P16 Pacific with a load of 2nd growth logs on it 2nd picture Long time Caycuse Log Truck Driver John Bell standing by #40-127 HDX Hayes witscan390.jpg scan391.jpg scan392.jpg scan393.jpg h a nice load of Cedar along side #40-129 HDX Hayes at DLS waiting to dump 3rd picture John Bell heading back to cab of $40-127 HDX Hayes after hooking up a strap to #40-139 P16 Pacific towing Lowbed to pull lowbed up a hill 4th picture #40-96 P16 Pacific in lineup to dump at Honeymoon Bay DLS

camptramp

Occupation
Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div 2001 1st picture is the #40-96 P16 Pacific parked empty at the former Caycues shop area . This truck was the Off Highway Log Truck I drove when I wasn't on a leased Highway Log Truck from 1993 to 2000 , I once measured the height of the trailer stakes when empty trailer was loaded on truck 22 feet ! 2nd , 3rd & 4th pictures Dave parking or picking up a loaded preload trailer at the "Trailer Park" at Gordon River Camp . Quite often if we were driving a Preload style Log Truck we would drop a loaded trailer if we knew the DLS had a line up of loads or it was to late in the day to go to the DLS then get to the woods for another load . Quite often we would pick up a load in the morning and head for the DLS to keep the Sort busy at what might be a slow time scan394.jpg scan395.jpg scan396.jpg scan397.jpg .

camptramp

Occupation
Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. Dave driving the #40-96 P16 Pacific at Gordon River Camp Shop . 3rd picture is Dave Whiskin and Don Patrick standing in front of log truck . Don Patrick was a career Welder who started with BCFP Renfrew Div. . An excellent Fabriater / welder if Don welded it , it was done right . I had a flat tire on a trailer one day . I stopped at Gordon River Shop to get Dan Reid the tire man to changed itscan401.jpg scan402.jpg scan403.jpg . One of the studs broke off . Don brought the Welding truck around and tried his quick fix , welded a piece of pipe from the inside to the broken stud , which usually works . This time it didn't , Don got down with a cutting torch , warmed up the stud and carefully cut the stud out of the hole . When he was finished Dan Reid had a tape ready , they cleaned out the threads , put a new stud in , mounted the tires back on and I was on my way .

camptramp

Occupation
Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1st picture Dave W. with #40-96 P16 Pacific with a nice load of Cedar 2nd picture Art Nickerson driving #40-139 P16 Pacific with a nice load . 3rd & 4th Pictures is Oz Nelson standing in front of the last Off Highway he drove #40-132 P16 Pacific Conventional logging truck . Parked at HBO DLS beside "Trailer Reload" for the night .scan411.jpg scan412.jpg scan413.jpg scan414.jpg

dirty4fun

Just wondering if the trucks were typically legal or often overloaded?
Since they are off highway trucks some are 15' - 16' wide and start out at around 80K empty would be illegal on most highways. When moving some equipment up they have a truck pushing and one or two in front pulling to get the machine as far up the mountain that they can, before tracking to where they are going to be set up.