• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

HDX

Yes it is Bumpsteer For the most part Western Forest Products (this is the company that IPL worked for) has left the majority of the crew sitting at home for the last 16 months and left a lot of good wood laying on the ground to rot. For the last 9 months a small crew of about 20 guys has been cleaning up whatever logs they could that were already felled. Now they will join the rest of the crew to also await an uncertain future. Word is that maybe by June or July something might happen !!!! Like the NDP said "Its a new day in the forest"

HDX

YUP Ian it WAS. Now western is going about their dirty business tearing the crew apart and destroying whatever they can. I looked at the stock market and saw what WFP shares are going for and just laughed. Look back and see what Crown Z and BCFP as well as M&B shares were when they were still part of this province

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Pretty bad when a few bean counters can kill a industry and wreck the lives of many great men.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Sad...sounds like there is a lot of dead wood in the offices as well...Maybe that's where the axe should start swinging first...

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Steve....at least H-17 is safe & sound.

I went through our auto industry meltdown, hung tough, lived on 24 hours a week, things are better now, hope it comes around for all you guys out there.

Ed

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
In 1907 Albert Einstein predicted that technology would create a human race of idiots . In the early 1950's H.R. MacMillan was against the policies and manner that B.C. used to set up their Tree Farm License's , predicting at the time what is happening now . Both smart men who could see what the future held for us .

HDX

Yes Al , You guys are are right on the money. For some reason the working guys out there along with the entire "Alberni Region" are being held accountable for something they had nothing to do with, other than being ex M&B employees It is ONE MANS VENDETTA. Pure and simple!!! Maybe when a new government is elected they will wake up and do the right thing, TAKE THE TFL AWAY FROM THESE CLOWNS. Google the TYEE NEWSPAPER in Campbell River and read some of the stuff they have featured lately. Start with Ben Parfitts articles. He did a great job of researching his facts.

HDX

Steve....at least H-17 is safe & sound.

I went through our auto industry meltdown, hung tough, lived on 24 hours a week, things are better now, hope it comes around for all you guys out there.

Ed
Ed You are so right and there is not a day goes by I don't look down at her and smile. I will shake this bad issue off and get back to our HAPPY PLACE.

dirty4fun

Steve, It seems to be impossible for me to think that IPL, could be changed so much in such a short time. Such a great bunch of guy doing what the grew up doing and doing oh so well. All brought to an end by a few people (hard to not say what I think they should be called) WFP who seem to want to brake up IPL and probably anyone else who gets in their way to a larger profit. A true shame, how so few WFP and wreck the lives of so many great men, and tear apart IPL.

Little did I know that my time spent there with you, and getting to drive H17 up the loading area would be the only chance I would have to do that. I will get out there again to see you and hopefully some of the people I met while there. Wishing all of you the best and hoping that the government steps up to the plate and pulls WFP timber contracts and that IPL rises up again!

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
Logging and Commercial Fishing both dying by the same issues. The FEDs have let it happen on the water and the Province on the land but the story is the same. Big business owns all the rights and the working man is expected to haul in the quota for a very small fraction of the value. All the while the end consumer can hardly afford the product. I believe that no matter who is in command the polices will remain the same. We are too far into it now to turn around and too much is at stake for major players. It has ended my families business on the water and my career as a fisherman. I'm sad to see another industry I am fond of suffering the same state....

HDX

Logging and Commercial Fishing both dying by the same issues. The FEDs have let it happen on the water and the Province on the land but the story is the same. Big business owns all the rights and the working man is expected to haul in the quota for a very small fraction of the value. All the while the end consumer can hardly afford the product. I believe that no matter who is in command the polices will remain the same. We are too far into it now to turn around and too much is at stake for major players. It has ended my families business on the water and my career as a fisherman. I'm sad to see another industry I am fond of suffering the same state....
OK I will get right on this one Reg! I will get a couple of the guys and we will look really hard and see if we can find an empty building somewhere in town here, We can drag in an old pool table and get a garage sale coffee pot, couple old recliners and chairs and we are in business We will call it the "DEA" Club The Disgruntled Employees Association. What do you think???

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
OK I will get right on this one Reg! I will get a couple of the guys and we will look really hard and see if we can find an empty building somewhere in town here, We can drag in an old pool table and get a garage sale coffee pot, couple old recliners and chairs and we are in business We will call it the "DEA" Club The Disgruntled Employees Association. What do you think???

Yes this sounds good to me. Disgruntled - Depressed, either or both. I always thought double D's were great but maybe in this case not so much...lol I'm about ready for another hangout anyway whether we have a "club" to go to or we just head out for some buffet. Always good for a laugh no matter what and who doesn't need that?

dirty4fun

Steve, let me know if you still need a coffee pot for the DEA, when I come out I have an extra one. Just gives me a gut ache hearing how big business is destroying the small businesses. Reg I know you told me about how bad things were in the fishing industry three years ago. I really think that the government doesn't want any small business people. Probably because the small guys don't and can't afford to line the government officials pockets, with green stuff like the big corporations do. We have the same thing here in the U S, some of the best bought and paid for elected people in the world. They vote their pay raises, free health care and a large retirement for life. They seem to be getting to the lowest form of life, a scum sucker!