• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Valve Stem Extensions

sims

I have an 1845C and it has a combination of wheels with the valve stems on the inside and on the outside of the wheels. The only way I can fill/check the tires on the inside valve stems is to remove the wheel.

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck running valve stem extensions on their skid steer? I was thinking about getting a right angle extension and tucking it close to the rim so it wouldn't foul up on brush and sticks. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

SimS

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
Sounds like you've got the wrong rims on your machine. Having them on the inside is just plain wrong.
If it was me, I'd find a pair of correct used rims and swap the tires over.
Or I'd take the rim off, weld up the old stem hole, and drill a new one on the outside, then hose it down with some power tan.

I run valve extensions on my inside dually wheels. It's the only way to get to them.
It works but it still is a pain to check/fill them.

sims

Phil,
DOH! You make too much sense!! I guess I was over thinking the problem/solution. You're correct in that this old beast has two different types of rims . Next time I get a flat I'll convert /drill them out. Thanks.
SimS

3X8

Maybe someone has the wheels turned around or maybe you can just turn the wheels around? (If they are the type you can do that with)

Rob Gunn

If you do turn the rims around and have the tires off anyway, I would weld some stem protectors on. I just used a 2" length of 2x2 square steel tubing. I have done this on all of the 4 bobcats that I have had and it really helps. Especially when your bushing brush and have limps hitting the cab and tires.

sims

10-4 on the welding a mounted tire. No bueno. I have been converting all my flat tubeless tires to tubes. So I will completely dismount the tire. Thanks.
SimS

Old Doug

You dont have to weld up the other holes they make plugs or just leave the old stems. Unless you are doing somethig real bad dont worry about stem potecters i have worked in a tire shop and its not a big deal.