• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vacuum excavator questions

dirtmonkey

Occupation
dozer monkey , self employed
I'm not sure where to post this so mod 's do your thing if you need to. My question is , does anyone have experience with vacuum excavators , as far as operation and owner/operator. I work for several developers and I am often hired to clean silt out of the streets and gutters until the developments are turned over to the HOA or the city. We have a new environmental inspector and now they are really cracking down on storm drains. My thought are to use a vac. ex. My question are would this be a good use for this and is this worth investing in a used machine. If I do this ,I'm looking to expand to potholing for my jobs and other contractors and pipeliners. I have no numbers yet but have the size of machine in mind. I'm thinking a trailer rig in the 500 gal range. If I could find one to put on a non CDL truck I would like to do that so I could trailer a bobcat/ toolcat with sweeper.
I'm just kicking this around right now but just not sure if this would work as another side to my biz. I'm not sure what to charge ( yes I know that's a very broad question to ask ) but I also don't know the owning and operating cost. Are these machines a maint nightmare? So ... If any one has any advise I will gladly listen. Thanks!!

FSERVICE

there are several contractors around here that have bought the small trailer mounted vac ex & all but 1 wishes they would have bought the bigger more powerful truck mounted unit. I just saw the guy yesterday pass by with his new truck a vactor tri axle pete!! there is a high demand for the potholing nowdays with all the stuff that's in the ground. my advice is to do some research & talk with SEVERAL DIFFERANT MAKERS of vac units not just 1. or rent 1 from jack donney to see if it will be of a use to you, also something else you should check on is dumping of the spoils that you will generate doing this. not sure bout how your state rules are on this!! any other questions I will be happy to ask them or try to answer for you..

BlazinSS934

I have 10 years in the environmental field. We used a Guzzler branded unit which is made federal signal/Vactor. You can go with any chassis you want def get a truck with setback front axles. These trucks are real long and the setback axle helps. Now on to the blower some are powered off of a separate motor they aren't that good. They usually lack the CFM to move a lot of material. Those units also aren't good for long runs of flex hose or for cleaning out deep cesspools. The other units have a transfer case and use the truck engine and transmission. Those can pull high vacuum and load a lot of material fast. Are you loaded containers or dumping at a facility? If you need to load a roll off you can get a unit a high back option. They are very handy pieces of equipment to have around. You can use them to locate utilities too. If you have the work for it the go for it !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

dirtmonkey

Occupation
dozer monkey , self employed
I've wondered about the soil and silt disposal. The DEQ / EPA rules are finally filtering to Okla.

As far as a bigger truck unit , not really what I'm after right now. I don't think anyway. :beatsme
Thanks for the replies guys. Keep 'em coming. I may not be able to reply much due to my work load but ill be looking in now and then.
On another note , now I've got someone wanting me to get into hydro seeding. :dizzy

norite

Saw the local utility come in and install some poles for streetlights. Instead of the usual digger derrick truck, they brought in a vactor vacuum truck to excavate the holes. Seemed to work well, soil was pit run gravel, -8" stuff.

Seems to me that the vacuum truck is unlikely or less likely to damage other u/g utilities than an auger would.