• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Using ball joint tool for bushings?

nycb

Has anyone tried this?

I have a heavy duty ball joint press I bought years ago to do a truck, worked fine for that.

I have to do bushings on the bucket attachment, I have the new bushings, they aren't that big, my line of thinking was I could maybe heat them up, get the press attached, and press the new ones in at the same time I'm pressing the old ones out.

The alternative I guess is making some kind of punch tool and beating the hell out of them.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Might be better to lathe cut some steel plate bushing heads and use a draw bolt thru the hole to pull them into place, use a tube sleeve to aid the dragged head to pull straighter.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Put the bushings in the freezer for 24 hours. Heart the area around the pin hole till nearly red then slip the bushes in. Any other way of fitting bushes won't allow the bush to grip it's surround hard enough.

nycb

The whole project rapidly went off the rails, it's gonna have to wait.

One of the pins came right out, the second one is rust welded into the quick attach plate, I couldn't budge even with a torch.

I'll have to order new pins, they were on backorder last month so it might be awhile, then cut that one off and either torch it out or get it in a shop press.

Not a huge deal, I had some time so I figured I would tackle it. It's just going to have to wait until fall or winter.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Use a torch and blow a hole thru the pin, will come loose then. Would still see a use for a pull thru rig should the cooling/heating not get it all the way in.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Take a small cooler along and stop at your friendly Praxair welding supply house when you pick up your bushings. Purchase a few lbs of dry ice and put them in that. Many welding supply houses have the dry ice in small cube form instead of the big party block. I just hand our guy my soft pack cooler and he covers what ever I have in it. Don't touch them without using pliers or damn good gloves when you take them out. Dry ice is way colder than any freezer and will shrink them a lot more.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Take a small cooler along and stop at your friendly Praxair welding supply house when you pick up your bushings. Purchase a few lbs of dry ice and put them in that. Many welding supply houses have the dry ice in small cube form instead of the big party block. I just hand our guy my soft pack cooler and he covers what ever I have in it. Don't touch them without using pliers or damn good gloves when you take them out. Dry ice is way colder than any freezer and will shrink them a lot more.
Plus it's kinda fun to listen to the bushings scream when you place them in the dry ice.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
As far as bushing ,if you have a welder weld a bead around the inside of the bushing. As bead cools it shrinks the bushingmaking it easy to get out. As far as the pin removal try tractor/loaders /backhoes Loader pins.
2/21/19 Alldodge. Post

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Another idea on getting old bushings out is to heat them with a cutting torch. A couple stripes down the inside and then let them cool. Same idea as the welding if you don't have the welder right handy. This works on steel and brass bushings.

And the dry ice does work much better than the freezer. One thing is to have everything ready before you take the bushings out of the dry ice including a hammer to help persuade the SOB to start going straight!