• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

useful apps

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
with all the technology we have these days, I was wondering what apps you guys have found useful. I have an app called messicks, which allows me to look up parts for new Holland, case ih, cub cadet, etc. haven't found anything else like it for cat, komatsu, etc. whattaya got?

AKSNOW

Occupation
Heavy Eqpt / NCCO Crane operator
I have several crane and rigging apps that I use quite a bit as well as some dirt,concrete,asphalt estimators. All from Apple App Store!

fsmech

Occupation
field service mechanic
Love the jlg app, all the manuals in hand, also a parts store which gives prices and availability. Also a function to turn your Phone/tablet into the analyzer if you purchase a plug in wireless device. Haven't brought that yet but would be handy, could do diagnosis whilst walking around the machine or in the comfort of your truck!

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
Someone here mentioned an app where your phone will snap pic every 30 seconds
20 minutes what ever you set it for. Also an app for building called sketchup

animalv

I think it's gates has an app for rib belts they have small colouring dots on ribs you take a pic of it and it tells how wore the belt is

Knepptune

I was thinking about an app I'd like to have. I'm in the mobile mechanic service.

I would like to be able to walk up to a machine, scan the serial and model number and start the clock. Then as you add parts or filters you scan part numbers. Hit a task completed button when your done and it sends everything to the office. I Don't know if that kind off app exists but I would like something like it. I hate paperwork at the end of everyday.

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
Mike L; all my farm brands I work on have their own parts schematics online through their website. John Deere, Case, IH, etc. Can be a real timesaver in the field or shop if service is available. One app I found that helped me diagnose a powershift failure on a David Brown:cussing was a free tachometer app. The output shaft was only turning 40-90 rpm (too slow for my hand tach). Place a piece of reflective something on what's turning and hold the camera close enough for it to pick up. Gives a real time readout.
The Torque Pro app with the Bluetooth plug in is great for vehicle diagnostics. My Chevy 4500 was giving me injector and trans grief and with it I was able to diagnose the problems and clear codes. Got my a** out of a crack on a service call miles from home.

JD955SC

I would like to be able to walk up to a machine, scan the serial and model number and start the clock. Then as you add parts or filters you scan part numbers. Hit a task completed button when your done and it sends everything to the office. I Don't know if that kind off app exists but I would like something like it. I hate paperwork at the end of everyday.

It would be nice not have to write my service reports and put my time in at the end of the day.

animalv

Trelleborg has apps for orings and fault finder is another one it's ok but dosnt have all the codes give it a 5

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
Downloaded an "anglefinder" app the other day. Haven't used it at work yet but I am sure I will!............TIO

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Downloaded an "anglefinder" app the other day. Haven't used it at work yet but I am sure I will!............TIO

I've got that app as well. Don't use it often but it is handy.

Slidey

Occupation
HD fitter
I have a converter app that swops around the old and new stuff. Loads of different categories incl temp, volume, mass, power etc.. Its by trelleborg too

Another one I have is a riggers calculator. I'm not approved as a rigger( :rolleyes: ) on the site I work on as I havent been assessed by their health and safety drone so don't get much use out of that one anymore

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
Instead of your phone ringing or vibrating a strobe (camera flash) comes on.

Queenslander

ContextCam will turn your iPhone/pad into a GPS camera.
Imprints your photos with lat/longs, bearing, date/time and up to four lines of notes.
No phone service required, and it keeps the paper shufflers happy when we do road repairs.

MollySheppard

Mike L; all my farm brands I work on have their own parts schematics online through their website. John Deere, Case, IH, etc. Can be a real timesaver in the field or shop if service is available. One app I found that helped me diagnose a powershift failure on a David Brown:cussing was a free tachometer app. The output shaft was only turning 40-90 rpm (too slow for my hand tach). Place a piece of reflective something on what's turning and hold the camera close enough for it to pick up. Gives a real time readout.
The Torque Pro app with the Bluetooth plug in is great for vehicle diagnostics. My Chevy 4500 was giving me injector and trans grief and with it I was able to diagnose the problems and clear codes. Got my a** out of a crack on a service call miles from home.

I think we all get that, and it drives me up the wall.:Banghead We have GPS in the graders but the only ones that have access to it are the guys in the office that monitor it :bash I carry a journal, when they rip me a new one, I can read off every time I did their road for the last year, how many passes or if I recorded anything special. It does no good. They don't get any satisfaction, and I don't get any satisfaction. That's the one aspect of working the front lines that I don't appreciate.

Blocker in MS

with all the technology we have these days, I was wondering what apps you guys have found useful. I have an app called messicks, which allows me to look up parts for new Holland, case ih, cub cadet, etc. haven't found anything else like it for cat, komatsu, etc. whattaya got?
I have used Messicks for four or five years at least. It is great! Only downside I have found is in the newer Steiger’s it does not show engine parts sometimes.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/car-part-com-auto-parts-market/id1024205586
This is a used vehicle parts database that is nice for finding stuff you want from a junkyard with relevant information about price and location of parts.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/basemap-3d-hunting-gps-maps/id1305237481
Base Maps has great topo information and a bunch of great information for looking at jobs. This is one of the most used apps I have. It is also one of the cheapest ways to get quick parcel ownership information.

Blocker in MS

I run a few different weather apps.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/rain-alarm-pro-weather-radar/id400259071
Rain Alarm is radar only with no forecasting. The thing I really like about it is that you can size search areas, alarms, and radar sensitivity to whichever suits you best and this app will send an alarm like a text message whenever precipitation is detected. It was saved my many times when summer showers pop up.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/farmlogs/id644043593
This app is quite expensive, which is why I only have the “lite” version. You can highlight areas, several even, and get a fairly accurate account of rain falls. After the trial version is up you can only look at the last 24 hours of rainfall at each location. This is one of the first apps I look at when I am home and the job is 4 hours away and you need to know if it is time to head back.