• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Used equipment prices way up because covid?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I have been thinking about this recently, if we could relax the parts per billion emissions standards that are not necessary anyway, and the ridiculous CAFE standards to squeeze out 2% more fuel economy, that require an 8 or 10 speed automatic transmission, and do without the TV in the back seat, then we would not need so many chips or computers on a car.

When I was a kid I looked out the window and I learned a lot from doing that.

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
the days of " if it's got fuel and a spark it should run" are so far behind us it's scary, but in those days things ran without problems and the problems were cheap and easy to fix, so big business didn't profit from your misery.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The manufacturers and dealers make a pretty penny off of all the add on stuff. Each component has a profit margin as does each replacement part. You will notice that there are no simple machines or cars on the market anymore that don't include things like air conditioning, rear view cameras, fancy seats and on and on. Air conditioning was an expensive option when I was young. Now they don't sell cars or equipment without it. When was the last time you saw a wheel loader or dozer without a cab? Do they make rock drills now days without cabs, AC and dust control systems?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The government mandated emissions and safety standards have forced the cost of vehicles and equipment to increase the largest amount in addition to becoming less reliable on the powertrain side IMO.

All the the other "add-ons" are market driven. If the purchaser didn't want a dozer with a cab and A/C then the manufacturers wouldn't be able to sell any. I love the creature comforts and won't buy a piece of new iron without a cab with A/C. Good or bad, the manufacturers are just responding to their customer base and providing a product the consumer wants to buy.

I don't want to run an open cab CTL all day on a hot August day in Alabama so why should I expect an employee too?

JPSouth

The government mandated emissions and safety standards have forced the cost of vehicles and equipment to increase the largest amount in addition to becoming less reliable on the powertrain side IMO.

This ↑↑ And an aside I've been waiting for someone, somewhere to comment on. Since somewhere in the mid-90s, IIRC, the EPA started down the Tier I, II, III, etc. path, off-road and on-road. Manufacturers have spent untold billions of dollars to meet these regs, all in the name of burning diesel cleanly and making everything whisper-quiet. Now that the timeline and regs are apparently satisfied, equipment is expensive to purchase and repair, complex in nature, and, lately, evidently obsolete as we're being told we all need to go electric. Maybe I'm trying to climb a greased pole here, but that chain of events makes no sense whatsoever to me.

JD955SC

This ↑↑ And an aside I've been waiting for someone, somewhere to comment on. Since somewhere in the mid-90s, IIRC, the EPA started down the Tier I, II, III, etc. path, off-road and on-road. Manufacturers have spent untold billions of dollars to meet these regs, all in the name of burning diesel cleanly and making everything whisper-quiet. Now that the timeline and regs are apparently satisfied, equipment is expensive to purchase and repair, complex in nature, and, lately, evidently obsolete as we're being told we all need to go electric. Maybe I'm trying to climb a greased pole here, but that chain of events makes no sense whatsoever to me.

not gonna happen. You can have small equipment battery powered (with limitations!) and really big stuff electrified by cable/overhead but your everyday dirt equipment no way in hell, at least not anytime soon unless some crazy breakthroughs are made.

And even if you magically could electrify everything they think can be electrified the infrastructure just ain’t there for it nor will it be anytime soon.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The manufacturers were part of the formulating the Tier System. Nothing was done that didn't have the engine people involved.

The problem is the same thing as the salmon in the Pacific Northwest. You can have dams on the Snake and Columbia rivers for power and irrigation or you can bust the dams in your effort to have salmon populations like there were a hundred years ago. We are reaching that either/or position as a society in the next few years.

Stay calm, monitor and adjust.

skyking1

Those engine regs are a large part of the reason I have been pushing to fix or repair the 1998 JD 120. A new machine that size can be a nightmare.

terex herder

Its not political, its bureaucratical. Both parties have been in power since it started. The problem traces back to the clean air act of 1970, where congress specifically prohibited economic analysis when mandating clean air rules.

ianjoub

in what world do the manufactures believe someone sat down and thought long and hard about what options they want in a car, and then be told "oh we can't do that now" and the customer would just shrug it off.
In the world where you are lucky to get anything at all. I ordered my F-350 Dec. 12, 2021. I received an email saying they think they will start the build the week of June 6th.

Reminds me of the Reagan joke:

colson04

I took @ianjoub s advice and visited Homosassa Springs this past Saturday. My wife and I took an impromptu anniversary trip to Florida, and that ended up being one of our stops. She loves marine life and seeing the manatees up close just made her day. 20220521_123439.jpg
20220521_123704.jpg

ianjoub

Ahhh, second pic is in the 'fishbowl' in Homosassa Springs State Wildlife Park.

You should have messaged. The wife and I would have been glad to host y'all for dinner!