• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Used Deere 310 L showing up. Advice or warnings?

emmett518

Hi Everyone.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 4x4 Deere 310 backhoe. I've never owned one of these before, so I'm starting at square 1.

I had Deere corporate give me the selling dealer, and the selling dealer gave me the last owner, which was another Deere authorized dealer. I got the service history (it was maintained by that dealer), and "a story" on why the unit is up for sale. The hoe was leased by the dealer to one corporate user for gas and electrical trenching, and was not rented to a ton of people. The dealer did all the scheduled maintenance since they owned the machine.

I hired the local Deere dealer near the new sales outlet to do a top to bottom inspection on the unit as I'm not nearby to view it in person. Both Deere and the original seller told me it was probably a waste of time as the hoe has low hours and not many years of service, but $200 to insure that I'm not buying a mistake seemed to be cheap money on such an expensive purchase.

Also got some leads on a trucking company to get it from the dealer to my location. Was advised to ask for proof of insurance from the trucker, a signed transport contract, and ask for references. Also advised to only pay the trucker when the backhoe arrives, and has not been damaged. Also was advised to get my own insurance before the hoe is loaded onboard, just in case.

Since used equipment is in short supply, the seller would not negotiate the price. Is it fair to ask for a fluid service, before I buy - engine oil, hydraulic fluid, filters, coolant, differentials, as part of the asking price?

Any other advice or things I should be concerned about? If the seller refuses to do the fluid maintenance, should I just do all of it just to be safe? Drain off some diesel to insure there's no water in the tank? Obviously check fluid levels before starting to take it off the truck all come to mind.

Thanks

Tinkerer

The engine oil and filter may have already been changed.
Good luck on getting them to change everything your are asking for. That is a big expense for something that may not be needed.
Definitely insure it before it gets loaded.
Take pictures of it before signing a sales contract.

JL Sargent

For the money those sell for, I would be tempted to go and give it a good workout in person for 30 minutes at least with the engine running the whole time. Get it hot. That's the only way to really know whats up. The transmission is the heart of it. After it is up to working temp, I would check that transmission fluid carefully. A slow release on the parking brake after its hot could be an indication of a pending trans problem. Any present codes?

emmett518

The engine oil and filter may have already been changed.
Good luck on getting them to change everything your are asking for. That is a big expense for something that may not be needed.
Definitely insure it before it gets loaded.
Take pictures of it before signing a sales contract.

The dealer (a real business) sent me an invoice. No sales contract.
For the money those sell for, I would be tempted to go and give it a good workout in person for 30 minutes at least with the engine running the whole time. Get it hot. That's the only way to really know whats up. The transmission is the heart of it. After it is up to working temp, I would check that transmission fluid carefully. A slow release on the parking brake after its hot could be an indication of a pending trans problem. Any present codes?

No codes.

The only thing the Deere service guy found were some slightly worn bucket and boom knuckle pins, and a worn front tire. It only has 1600 hours on it.

cosmaar1

If you are that concerned I agree with JL. The drive you make to that place is well worth the price of a sucky or misrepresented machine. Personally I would never buy anything that I cannot run and test out to make sure of no glaring issues.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
And the whole village roared in celebration......Happy digging, lifting, pushing, plowing, and fixin' little buckaroo:rolleyes:

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
The whole village roared in celebration because they are all planning on getting emmett318 to do their digging, lifting, pushing, plowing...LOL

cosmaar1

I wired the money yesterday. As soon as the dealer receives the cash, they will release the hoe. I then have to set up the transport.
Hopefully it’s a good machine for ya. Next up, bigger and smaller bucket for the hoe!

emmett518

The dealer selling her needed cash. I was in the right place at the right time.
I head to the dealer to do a complete service I’ll do the work. They’ll supply the parts.

cosmaar1

The dealer selling her needed cash. I was in the right place at the right time.
I head to the dealer to do a complete service I’ll do the work. They’ll supply the parts.

I just noticed it was an extendahoe. Nice!

buy a couple front tires for that thing while you are there. It’s only money! ;)

emmett518

I plan to, but hard to find stock. Everything is back ordered. Would you guys buy Carlisles from Amazon?