• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

USDOT Regulations

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
What are they after with the RV's? We know the drivers are CDL exempt, even though some people with Greyhound conversions shouldn't be driving them:eek:. But what are they looking for?

Brakes, Lighting, frame issues, hitch issues, lack of capacity of tow vehicle for work performed, tires, safety equipment and most of all people inside towed vehicles. That from the neighbor Brown Shirt. He has had several with not only faulty but failed brakes, axle seals running oil across brakes, systems frozen in place, fluid leaks of brake fluid or PS Fluid with Hyro-boost systems, MASSIVE exhaust leaks, broken springs, cracked windows, just in general lack of maintenance or physical inspections before putting to highways. His worst was ALL the above and had Propane leaking so severely the station shut off their heat so as not to set off a fire, had a fresh filled 80g tank relief would not seat, owner had three gallons of PS Fluid and Brake fluid to refill for leaks. 81 year old Owner could or would NOT justify repairs costs had it towed off by salvage yard. Matt stated these can be beyond SCARY!! and they are on our roads EVERY DAY.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Reason I stick to DOT regulations as closely as possible, inspect as if I was hauling for money, I know my height/weight each axle and have CDL even though it’s considered a RV here. Also as the saying goes, cover your a$$ in paperwork and knowledge!

Had a Driver/Lineman in ESL IL, was caught DUI, fought it as was in a CAR not a truck so should not affect his CDL where of course LOST and lost license. The misconception is that while NOT driving as a Commercial Driver the license is unaffected by inspections of driven vehicle, UNTRUE, you drive a RV as noted that fails DOT standards that can affect your license or how you are approached as to use of your license, you Become a Highly Marked Target.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Had a Driver/Lineman in ESL IL, was caught DUI, fought it as was in a CAR not a truck so should not affect his CDL where of course LOST and lost license. The misconception is that while NOT driving as a Commercial Driver the license is unaffected by inspections of driven vehicle, UNTRUE, you drive a RV as noted that fails DOT standards that can affect your license or how you are approached as to use of your license, you Become a Highly Marked Target.
I don't drink and drive nor even enjoy a drink if and when I ever eat out. I do know even though not in the rig that CDL drivers are held to higher/stricter standards even in their POV (Privately owned vehicle) whether it be car or RV. Actually had to call up the insurance for my rig and asked why payment didn't come out this month, they said well your insurance dropped in price and won't have to pay for 2 months till it renews, which puts my car, pickup truck and this rig insurance at $149 a month. I don't just inspect and fix things for me but for everyone on the road and a broken part only leads to more in cost to fix the longer it remains broken. So if the DOT wants to pull this rig over so be it, I will give them the tour, won't be happy about it but I keep this place squared away pretty well.

Lastly no propane is left on in here when going down the road nor after cooking, I have a AC/DC fridge/freezer and diesel heater.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Brakes, Lighting, frame issues, hitch issues, lack of capacity of tow vehicle for work performed, tires, safety equipment and most of all people inside towed vehicles. That from the neighbor Brown Shirt. He has had several with not only faulty but failed brakes, axle seals running oil across brakes, systems frozen in place, fluid leaks of brake fluid or PS Fluid with Hyro-boost systems, MASSIVE exhaust leaks, broken springs, cracked windows, just in general lack of maintenance or physical inspections before putting to highways. His worst was ALL the above and had Propane leaking so severely the station shut off their heat so as not to set off a fire, had a fresh filled 80g tank relief would not seat, owner had three gallons of PS Fluid and Brake fluid to refill for leaks. 81 year old Owner could or would NOT justify repairs costs had it towed off by salvage yard. Matt stated these can be beyond SCARY!! and they are on our roads EVERY DAY.

OK, I see now. So next Tuesday when the brownshirts are bored they can start waving cars and pickups in? Kind of what it amounts to.
I guess as a mechanic I don't even think about the condition of other peoples RVs but not being a commercial vehicle it kind of bugs me that they can pull that stuff legally.
If they want to inspect mine that way, they are entirely welcome to... after they put in a car lane too.
ETA... this is mostly a revenue scheme.

Truck Shop

But you guys missed the biggest violations while operating a RV. The first thing they check is how good the tater salad and fried chicken is in the fridge by a taste test. Next they check
the type and price of the beer in the fridge. If it's low budget brand your in for a big ticket. Lime Jello with shredded carrots that's a $150 buck ticket right there for putting carrots in it.
Ice Cream you better be packing Dryers or their really going to get pi$$ed. Then they check the freezer, better not have any 80/20 % fat hamburger, nope 85/15% only. Mayonnaise-
Best Foods only that's 50 bucks, and only French's mustard, that's a 75 buck ticket. Hot dogs, only 1/4 pounders that's a 100 buck ticket. And the buns no day old better be fresh, that's
a 200 buck ticket.

Best thing to do is sell the RV.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
But you guys missed the biggest violations while operating a RV. The first thing they check is how good the tater salad and fried chicken is in the fridge by a taste test. Next they check
the type and price of the beer in the fridge. If it's low budget brand your in for a big ticket. Lime Jello with shredded carrots that's a $150 buck ticket right there for putting carrots in it.
Ice Cream you better be packing Dryers or their really going to get pi$$ed. Then they check the freezer, better not have any 80/20 % fat hamburger, nope 85/15% only. Mayonnaise-
Best Foods only that's 50 bucks, and only French's mustard, that's a 75 buck ticket. Hot dogs, only 1/4 pounders that's a 100 buck ticket. And the buns no day old better be fresh, that's
a 200 buck ticket.

Best thing to do is sell the RV.

I'm really in agreement about the carrots.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I like to see them clamber their fat a$$ up here pass the solar panels and come check the inside of our "house" out, might have to call EMS to pick one up from the ground. There is 2 steps upward in 53 inches of height to get to back porch between less than 24 inches of walk room between solar panels after they clamber over the tow bar for the car.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
I like to see them clamber their fat a$$ up here pass the solar panels and come check the inside of our "house" out, might have to call EMS to pick one up from the ground. There is 2 steps upward in 53 inches of height to get to back porch between less than 24 inches of walk room between solar panels after they clamber over the tow bar for the car.
LOL, I was wondering how you entered... I thought maybe there was a side walk... hard to tell in the pics.

doublewide

"...people in towed vehicles..."

Bahhaha!! What's wrong with that? As long as they have their seatbelt on, right?

Now if they're texting in the towed vehicle that's a different story. Has to be hands free.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
"...people in towed vehicles..."

Bahhaha!! What's wrong with that? As long as they have their seatbelt on, right?

Now if they're texting in the towed vehicle that's a different story. Has to be hands free.

I think in Wa. it used to be that passengers were allowed in a fifth wheel trailer as long as they rode in the portion over the tow vehicle. What difference would that make?
I had a Heeler that would jump up on the gooseneck flat bed and back to the truck bed on the road, that was fearless.
One day she ran off the deck trying to "chase" another dog on the ground and got her butt kicked by the other dog. She stayed on the truck after that.

doublewide

When I was a kid I used to work a second shift teamsters job out of South Boston. A bunch of us laborers would pile into the back of a box truck and head out of southy after dark to points unknown. Back door would be closed but side doors open.