• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

UPRIGHT SB60 problem erratic controls

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
OK guys and gals I need your help.. This lift is driving me crazy and I'll try to be specific but am sure I'll leave out some things. :(

I used this lift on and off for over a couple years with really not too many glitches...About a month ago I used it on some rain gutter work and it performed great... Machine sat for about 2 weeks and when I went to move it the engine started fine but none of the control from the basket works (except the 2 way switches). Well I let it run for about 5 minutes while I scratched my head and then it worked again not giving me any more trouble that day. Machine sat for another 2 weeks or so and then the function didn't come back after trying to get it to work.. This time there was no power through the OEM Controls Inc. FS4-4-217 board. Sent it in for inspection and it came back with sodler connection failures so was NOT FIXABLE. :( Ended up buying a brand new board to replace this one from OEM Controls Inc and when I installed it the functions came back BUT when driving in one direction it was like starting and stopping of the drives so would almost throw you out of the basket. :( :( Without a optimizer (programmer) I couldn't tell what was going on so got on the phone to ask.. They were nice and sent me a optimizer and found the the board wsa showing major fluctuations from threshold to max but in the meantime now all of the functions were jerky and starting and stopping all over the place. We sent the board back for inspection and they found nothing wrong with the board so today I put it back in and I swear the functions are getting more erratic.... I've adjusted all the factory settings to match what they want and it's like the power is being shut off and on without moving the controls (joystick) All of the 2 way switch function perform smooth so I can't imagine it being a supply power to the control center.

PLEASE HELP. :) :) Thanks in advance..

Darin 716-397-5963

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Come on guys and girls I know there is a smart bunch of folks here. :) Share that knowledge and get rid of some of the space in the head. :)

So check the optimizer (programmer) today when the unit was NOT running and all the functions were stable and not fluctuating all over the place. ??????? What would cause this to be smooth when the motor is not running and then all of a sudden start teh machine (motor) and then all reading go hay wire. :( :( Have I mentioned I do NOT like electric problems. :)

VoodooMojo

Occupation
Sr Technical Service Representative
what is the engine model?

Have you verified the ground wires are secure and traced them from the battery negative post to the engine to the chassis to the circut boards?

Remove all ground attach bolts, clean and reinstall.

Start with the positive lead of the voltmeter connected to the battery positive and probe with your negative lead at different points along the negative path while the engine is running and a function activated.

Don't just look and wiggle wires, test with a voltmeter when the functions are being energized.

You may want to contact Upright for access to a manual or at least schematics for your unit.
It used to be an easy process before Upright became Snorkel to download manuals from their site.
I believe Ken Norasene is still the Upright guru with Snorkel. Great fellow with a boatload of knowledge on these units.
I have a number for him. It should still be good. 866-843-3350

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Thanks for the reply..

Engine is a 3.0L gm dual fuel...

I haven't removed all the grounds and cleaned yet but will tomorrow weather permitting. :)

Will check when functions are being energized as well

Yeah Ken is a heck of a nice guy and has sent me schematics in the past for the motor but we are still working on this new problem...

Again thank you for your input..

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
OK so.... Ended up changing the alternator because it was over-charging back in October. This wasn't really top priority so kept putting it off. Anyway I thought everythign was good when I parked it for Winter.. Well had a customer wanting to buy it so i said let me start it figuring the battery was probably drained.. Anyway after jump starting the lift I moved it about 20' and it was jerky again but thought maybe just because it was cold.. Well anyway the functions from basket stopped workign and it wouldn't drive again. I applied the aux power and the function let me park it again while holding in aux position.. If I let it go the unit would just stop... This was over a week ago.

Today being that it was basically spring weather here today I wanted to play with this some more.... Started fine... jerky operation and again had to use the aux power again to get it to move smoothly... Ended up disconnecting the alternator and the darn things runs great.... When I changed the alternator one of the wires had a diode inline and I removed it thinking thta maybe that is what fried the alterantor last time... WHY would alternator make a difference in operation of the circuits???? If I check this alterantor and it's overcharging again what could be happening??? PLEASE HELP>>> it's too big to be a lawn ornament. :)

Darin

Delmer

So it runs great with the new alternator? Why are you trying to torture yourself with what might go wrong again?

No idea on this machine, but I wouldn't remove anything from the factory unless I thought I knew better than they did what it did. There are a few reasons to have a diode, but it might have more to do with the controls than what I'm thinking.

The alternator overcharging was causing the voltage to be unstable and outside of the design range. I'd be guessing what it does to the controller, but it doesn't surprise me that it wasn't working right.

If the alternator is overcharging the voltage regulator is bad, nothing more complicated than that. Regulator is probably inside the alternator and is easy and cheap to replace if you can find one. Welding, jump starting and bad batteries kill alternators.

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
No I put a new alternator in it last time I ran the lift...

The diode didn't look factory..

Yeah that is why I changed the alternator when it was overcharging the first time...

More posts or suggestions are always welcome. :) :)

Delmer

A diode is used when a 1 wire alternator is added to a system that didn't have one, if the alternator you replaced was not original, that might be why and where it came from. just a guess.

Are you saying everything worked after you replaced the alternator in Oct. and then it acted up recently, and then it worked again after you disconnected the alternator? IF that's the case then I'd go back to the grounds, and/or any connections in the charging circuit. Maybe borrow the thermal imaging camera somebody on here just bought???!!!!!

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Yes if I take the 2 signal wires off the alternator and just run off the battery it performs just like it's suppose to. ???? This is why it's so confusing (bad ground would always be a bad ground) right...

Delmer

A loose connection could cause a problem when it's carrying more current, that is, when it's charging the battery instead of just running the machine. That connection could be anywhere, most likely in the grounds or charging circuit.

You could find and fix the problem, or change to a 1 wire alternator and "isolate" the alternator from the rest of the wiring.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Being it has a GM dual fuel engine, does it have a Delco 10SI alternator? Many applications that use that alternator require a diode on signal wire that goes to terminal I to prevent charging voltage feedback on that wire. Don't know if that will fix your problem, but I'd consider putting a diode back in that wire circuit.

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Thanks guys for your help. I will be installing the diode next chance I get. :)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Actually snorkellifts.com but they sent it out to me because I bought the new board from them. If I didn't they said they would of rented it. Good luck with you machine.

Andy 9000

Darinray - I know this is an old thread but did you end up finding a solution to this problem? I'm having a very similar problem with my Terex lift with the OEM controls, and it's super frustrating - mine will work fine for an hour or so, then becomes glitchy. I'd appreciate any info you could provide on how you remedied yours, thank-you.

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Hey Andy, Yeah it stinks when equipment gets glitches like these. After changing the main control board and using the optimizer I was able to get the controls to funtion properly.. The dang board was like $1,000. :( Sorry I can't be of any more help..

Andy 9000

Thanks for the reply, that's what I was afraid you were going to say. I already paid $800 to have that board repaired a year and a half ago, although it was a different issue then. And I'd love to put an optimizer on it to see what it's doing, but I cant find anyone that has one to rent/loan out (I'm in Canada). I really can't justify spending $350-500 on a tool that I'll likely only use a few times - if you happen to know anyone that has an extra they'd be willing to part with for reasonable money let me know. Thanks again.

farmer1951

Thanks for the reply, that's what I was afraid you were going to say. I already paid $800 to have that board repaired a year and a half ago, although it was a different issue then. And I'd love to put an optimizer on it to see what it's doing, but I cant find anyone that has one to rent/loan out (I'm in Canada). I really can't justify spending $350-500 on a tool that I'll likely only use a few times - if you happen to know anyone that has an extra they'd be willing to part with for reasonable money let me know. Thanks again.