• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Universial Processors

hvy 1ton

Just for kicks i was looking at universal processors a couple of days ago and have some questions. I know there are interchangeable jaws depending on what is being processed, but that's about where my knowledge base falls off. When looking a the spec sheet at BTI i noticed there are more than just concrete jaws and shear jaws. BTI lists Pulverizer, Crusher, Shear, Demolition, and Plate Shear jaws. I'm mostly confused about the difference (advantages, disadvantages, best use) between a Pulverizer and a Crusher, and aren't they all Demolition Shears? I assume there is something special about about plate shears that make them better at cutting plate than beams.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
confused about the difference between a Pulverizer and a Crusher,

I am not a demo man, but my understanding is a pulveriser would be better at seperating concrete off/from a steel beam/rebar where as a crusher is mainly to simply crush the concrete.

What the jaw difference is.......... I am about to learn :D

Turbo21835

Well, it really depends on what youre looking to do. In all reality, a UP does not have the power that is required by thick steel. So, they are mostly for the Universal portion. The difference between your concrete jaws is simple. The pulverizer set is several sets of crushing pieces. Think a grapple, but used for crushing concrete. The other one is usually similar to a shear jaw. With one "blade" on each side, but it also has a portion for cutting rebar, the pulverizer has nothing to cut the rebar.

Now to the steel jaws. Your regular shear set up is going to be set up with a tip blade, and bottom blade. It will also have an "exit" side of the shear. So when you are cutting a plate type material, it is going to tend to curl the sheet iron over on itself. If you cannot cut through in one, or two cuts, it gets tricky and time consuming.

Your plate shears are going to be more like scissor. They will cut plate like a scissor cuts paper. I dont think a plate shear set up is going to be able to cut much in the way of structural steel.

hvy 1ton

I looked a little more at the .pdf and realized that there were drawings of all the jaw configurations. http://www.rockbreaker.com/literature/pdfs/MS Series.pdf

The part i'm trying to figure out is when to use a crusher over a pulverizer. From what i can see the BTI pulverizer has steel cutters just like the crusher does. Looking at the demo shear it has a larger shear portion and only half the crusher part. If there is a lot of smaller structural steel and some concrete, that would make it the tool of choice?

Would a crusher be able to separate rebar from the concrete or is a pulverizer needed? Since both cut rebar, does it just become a function of concrete/rebar strength? Basically, I'm trying to figure out which job each set of jaws would excel at. The shear and plate shear are pretty self-explanatory and i think i've got a lock on the demo shear. The difference between a crusher and pulverizer still throws me. I see how they work differently, but can a crusher munch, for lack of a better word, the concrete so the rebar loses cohesion? To take down and and separate the rebar in say, a residential foundation, which jaw set(s) would be needed?

blueman

Each vendor has their own definitions for the various jaws. If you're looking at BTI they ought to explain the nuance to you.
It's hard to tell, but their crusher jaw looks like it's for primary demolition. The jaws are probably narrower to pierce or cut concrete/masonry, and it has the blade in the throat for cutting rebar or a degree of steel. It opens wider than the pulveriser, more able to get that first bite, and has higher tip force for piercing.
The pulveriser jaw looks more for secondary demolition or processing, with a broader jaw to munch it up. It has a blade in the throat for the odd cutting but is probably smaller than the crusher blade.
I'm most familiar with Kinshofer (Demarec in UK/EU). Their "combi" jaw is more for primary, cutting thru material to get it down or in to manageable chunks. Their pulveriser jaw is then used to process or densify.