• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

union work or no work

Status
Not open for further replies.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
And let's move on, back to the topic of the thread. You guys know that the "mine is better than yours", union vs non-union argument does not have a place on the board.

JD9520

It seems like you have been trying to start a flame war since you joined this forum, so don't get your panties in a bunch about Liebherr1160's comment. It's none of your damn business where others choose to work anyway. No one here owes you any apology or explanation.

I am not trying to start a war here. "If I gotta go ..its Union MHO..the non-union sector can pound salt .", is a quote from another member to slam us non union guys, I guess thats not grounds to start a war. I am not asking for an apology, never stated that. I am just asking what makes the union tick and how you justify being in the union.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I am not trying to start a war here. "If I gotta go ..its Union MHO..the non-union sector can pound salt .", is a quote from another member to slam us non union guys, I guess thats not grounds to start a war. I am not asking for an apology, never stated that. I am just asking what makes the union tick and how you justify being in the union.

JD9520, did you not read my post above? It's very simple, let this go and move on or we can do it the hard way.:cool:

There have been comments made from both parties that have no place here on the board.

NOW is it CLEAR?

diggerdave1958

Well, the only thing i am going to say is you have to take care of your family frist, and any job is better than NO job.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
NOW is it CLEAR?

Curling? Is that a sport:confused:Kinda like horseshoes i guess?

Yeah kinda... like lifting weights and bowling, too, kinda... :D

OCR... :)

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
liebherr1160, I thinks thats a little harsh. No one on here was bashing the union or non-union. I myself am non-union and proud of it. I don't fully understand the union and what they have to offer, but what I do understand in the bottom line. I had a BA in my office, tell me how great the Union was and what they have to offer . What I didn't understand was what they had to offer. From what I gather, you, the working class pay Union dues for insurance, retirement and so on, but why would you want to take a deduction out of your 40 hr work week check to pay for a BA salary? I am sure there is over 600 on the books waiting to go back to work, do you think your BA has taken a pay cut? I would say no. So what are you getting out of the union? looks like to me the union is the ones pounding salt, why us non union contractors continue to work and hire union operators that are out of work.

Yes it was harsh i guess ..but my own opinion ..

Its not personal ..

Ive done both side's ..both have there flaws ..and good ...just when you see your supervisor taking your unit out on a saturday after a short week ..I do have a bit of a distaste for the non-union sector ..not a hatred ..let that be understood

Drifter

Take the job. It doesn't seem to be that hard of a decision feed your family or starve. In the end you have to look out for 1# because no one else will.

dynahoescott

HERE HERE !!!

Ive traveled here and there in my carrer ..Always have gone union ..I know what Im getting ,before I even get the dispatch to go ..and once on the ground ....there's no change's to the pay scale or otherwise ..

Some non-union co's in the past..before i went union .. have a habit of promising you the moon ..on a simple piece of paper and everything is upside down and backwards once your on the ground ..

If I gotta go ..its Union MHO..the non-union sector can pound salt ..

To my 2 buddies, buckethead and qball, I am totally with you guys, I am union also and thank god for my membership in my local, along with my capabilities it provides me with a great living. That is what I am trying to tell our man fiat here, you signed a contract, and a lot of good men bled to get it in ink and I am eternally grateful for the foresight that they had. Its unity that makes the union. be proud and honor it. That being said the guy is still a operator in the field and as long as he honors his commitment to his local and he doesnt run a rig, well we should all wish him well to feed his family. The answer is fairly straightforward and simple, work outside the industry, hopefully dont take any legal citizens or other union members work away and everyone should be happy, its getting tough out there guys, lets not splinter ourselves apart, we are all red white and blue., respect defined work parameters and lets get our hands dirty together, all us blue collar guys want to provide for our families. Lets get AMERICA back to being cocked,locked and ready to rock:usa

dayexco

then it's safe to assume....that you'd sit back and draw unemployment rather to accept a position any less than what you currently have....and you'd never take a job from somebody less qualified, worthy as you....that you'd NEVER step below your qualifications, and steal a job from someone who is not as qualified as yourself. i think i'll join a union

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
day, i am content with being union. i will not work, in my trade, non union. ya see, i was brought up to have a little honor.
now, if you wanna be a rat, er, um, non-union, i don't care. i do care about you trying to provoke some of us union guys. so, i kindly ask that you stop. PLEASE! i don't feel like being suspended again.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
yeah, i'm one of those preeks that sign the front side of a paycheck

i wouldnt know, i have never worked for a rat, much less one that can write.
now, why don't you call me, we can discuss the err of my ways personally.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I warned you all twice, thread closed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.