• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Unearthing the cover on my septic tank. Is it OK to use the backhoe?

skyking1

emmett518 I've had new re-enforced tops made for a few older tanks like that which I replaced for customers. They come with plastic inserts right in the with lids but you have to buy the risers to accommodate the depth of your tank. You'd probably be looking at 3 or $400 to go that route. Your slabs may be at the end of their life span so it may be money well spent if that's the case.
Bill how about this for a DIY:
expose entire top of tank carefully. Dig beyond it 6" and down at least 3" all around tank top. Buck out the tank openings with bender board and 2x4 ( after getting it pumped ).
put in a grid of rebar and pour a 4" top over the existing lid, that bears beyond the tank top that 6".
I know that does not prevent the old top from falling in. Maybe some strategic anchors in the old top?
After it is all set build a CMU riser out of the 6" wide blocks and set lids on that.
??

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I don't mind pumping, but I don't want to have to spend money when I don't have to.

My tank has rectangular openings, about four feet long, and about two feet wide. Can you get rectangular risers?

I've never seen tank openings as big as you describe. Mine might be 2' down to the tank. My tank has 3 covers. I took a 275 gallon oval oil tank & cut a third out of the middle. I cut each end to a bit bigger than the clean out holes in the tank. The three risers come to perhaps 9" below grade. They are covered by two layers of pressure treated planks. The whole thing is under a stone patio, so I can pump & restore like it was never disturbed all in one day.

If yours are really that long an old oil tank isn't going to be big enough, maybe a log cabin lay with rail road ties or landscape timbers. Drill & spike the layers. Cover with treated planks, or what have you flat steel.

JCinNC

Pretty amazing to me that one of the busiest threads on the Heavy Equipment Forums is about septic tanks. lol. :p

Anyway, some information if interested. For our area, "old" tanks (sometime in the 80's and back) were commonly around 1,000 gallon concrete with 4 concrete lids in some fashion similar to what emmett518 describes. They can all be square but also there were a lot with angled off end lids like in this picture.
IMG_20210930_164257224.jpg
Anyone's best bet if they want a riser in square lids or angled lids like this is to purchase one already poured for it, or pour your own. It's not that hard if that's what you want to do. Get you a piece of plywood and some 2x4"s. Form the lid to the size you want on the plywood. Then form a square in the middle of that rectangular the size of the riser you are going to put on it. Be SURE to check your riser and make sure it will cover the finished hole completely. Use reinforcing wire and good concrete. Rebar is good for awhile, but does have a more rapid corrosion rate causing expansion, cracks, and often premature failure.

This is a picture of an up to date septic tank lid from a 1,000 gallon tank currently approved for our area. Plastic handle that folds down. Less likely to snag it with a backhoe. How long will the plastic hold up? Time will tell...
IMG_20210930_164327771.jpg

And finally, this is a version of a modern "short" riser. Risers like this are typically poured in 1' and 2' risers. Then there are short ones like this to make up a possible depth you run into where you just need a little bit more height. Risers can be stacked within reason to give you the desired height. So a 1' and 2' stacked can be stacked to give you 3' etc. etc. It may not show the size difference but this lid is larger than the tank one above and the riser covers the tank hole with about 3" to spare all around on the inside. You'll want to seal around all riser connections or seams with a good sealant. There are some tar based like tapes that are about 1" in thickness that are used. Also, troweled cement can work.
IMG_20210930_165034190.jpg

Finally a tip. Make SURE that your tank lid is removed before installing your riser or that it will fit through the one you install if you elect to leave it on. And pull it out & set it back in lightly. Don't drive it in, step on it, try to make it tight. Why? It can be an S.O.B. to get them out! Especially 3' down!

Steve Favia

Occupation
Retired local 150 Operating Engineer
Any medication’s that you’re taking can disrupt you’re system like chemotherapy drugs kills the bacteria also always good to introduce new bacteria from time to time.

JCinNC

they used to throw a dead cat in a new tank to get it started, or maybe it was alive, I'm not Schrodinger. Coffee grounds are supposed to be good as well.

Bakers yeast flushed down the toilet will do what you need as much or more than anything else.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Usta was they'd send a kid with a 22 to the dump for a bucket of rats. Wasn't hard to talk me into the task at the time.