• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Underground Mining gear

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
I am a Cat guy as well, aside from when the AD30 trucks were being assembled and the first testing on them I haven't had a lot to do with them. I usually work on the scoops,I also like the integrated retardation system. It took some getting used to in the shop since you have to drive with your foot on the brake and throttle when moving slowly or the park brake comes on. We locked out fourth gear and limited it to 14km/h. It was interesting for me to run the first one for a day to make sure everything worked properly. I got to say I hauled the first loads with it though.:) I was driving around with another mechanic in the jump seat so we could figure out what speed to limit it to so it wasn't a dog but had a fair speed. It's great to have that jump seat, the DUX trucks that we have don't have a jump seat and the cab is small. No room for a trainer.

Karl Robbers

Try spending a 12 hour shift in the jump seat!
I was the truck trainer for my crew and my method was to have the trainee spend 2 complete shifts in the jump seat while I talked us through the shift, manouvering, placement in the drive while running, loading procedure, refuelling, prestarts and mid shift servicing. After that I would put the trainee in the drivers seat, locked in first gear and let them drive uphill in an area of the mine where traffic was only one way. Once I decided they were ready, I would click up to third gear, still driving uphill. Next I would let them drive all the way to the surface and give them fourth gear. I had a couple of spots where we practiced reversing using the camera, (never ever were they allowed to open the window and look out as it was too dangerous if you speared yourself on a piece of damaged mesh), on the surface I taught them to unload and take weighbridge readings. After around 60Hrs tuition I started them driving downhill, starting with second gear and progressing, at my discretion, up to fourth gear. By this time they were monitoring the radio,organising their own loads and calling their levels on the radio. Once I was confident in their ability, I would let them select fifth gear when they felt ready.
The last 60+ hours, (trainees had to have a minimum 120Hrs seat time to be passed out), was hell on my poor backside on the unsuspended jump seat!
After I told the safety and training department they were ready, the assessor would go for a ride over one complete cycle and voila! A new truck driver was born.
I preferred training in AD55 A models due to their shorter nose and lower speed downhill as well as the fact that they didn't have the deadman brake, making low speed positioning simpler, which made it easier to teach.
I imposed the condition, (nobody wanted to be truck trainer, so I had some bargaining power), that after the operator had been passed out on the tippers, that if they were to be put on a waste truck, (AD 55 or AD 45 ejector), I wanted a full 12Hr shift with them to teach them how to tip in an open stope and fill stockpiles properly.
I enjoyed truck training and also taught trainees how to do a re entry after firing and how to wash down a round before it was bogged out by an R2900 LHD.
I don't drive the trucks now, having moved up the ladder, but I still love the sound of Truck 152 lugging up the decline with her C27 barking.

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
Wow! That's a great training program! If you don't mind I would like to show this to the training dept. at our mine. I don't think our training is this good. I believe they read the operators manual and then make a few trips with the one and only trainer and they are good to go. I've had one operator say that he couldn't get his truck to start. I looked in the cab and the shifter was in gear because the last operator shut it off in gear.plus the usual questions like " what oil goes in the transmission?",what is this red light on for?"(turned out the greaser was empty because it wasn't filled at the start of shift). One scoop operator couldn't get his scoop to start at the beginning of the shift, the previous operator had pushed the E-stop and switched the remote switch in the cab on to play a trick on him. You are a real trainer. Your mine is lucky to have as dedicated a trainer as you. What are you running now if you don't mind me asking?

Karl Robbers

In addition to the practical tuition that I provided, the safety department has a training module that the trainee must read and then answer 50 or 60 questions in order to move on to gaining seat time. The module covers warning lights, runaway truck procedures, fire suppression activation and all the general truck type topics. We now have a computer simulator for the Atlas MT6020 trucks and R2900 CAT LHD's, but seat time with an operator is still a large part of the training regime.
Feel free to show it to your training department. I remember well how little I knew when I was set loose by my trainer, so I decided that it wouldn't be that way for my trainees.
I have progressed to Service Crew. We handle all the secondary vent, water and air plumbing, cable running, primary pumping and Cable Bolting for the mine. Machines used are Volvo LD90E and F models, Volvo LD120F all set up as Integrated Tool Carriers. I also fill in on Charge Up at times and there we run Normet Charmec rigs with Hypercharge emulsion charging pods. I am in training to operate the CAT R2900 LHD, but never seem to get much chance as the service crew are usually kept flat out - what ever goes wrong, it's our problem.

SmellsLikeDiffOil

photo (1).jpg photo 1.jpg photo.jpg Just reviving an old thread with a couple of pics;
One of our remote boggers. Took two weeks to dig it out of the wet-muck. Recently rebuilt with 600 hours on it.