• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

UH OH! Drive Motor Has Locked

Effinay

Occupation
Getting organized with my own small business
Just when you think things are going well. Found a "good deal" :confused: on an entry level mini excavator. All she needed was a final drive motor to replace the one that self destructed on the Left side. Not to mention a bunch of other items that were worn out, no longer working, or missing all together. Not to be discouraged, after all, this was a "good deal" and I could use it for all sorts of jobs around the property. I was able to locate a used HY-DASH motor for what seemed a reasonable fee and installed it myself. Got all the plumbing squared away, wrestled the track back in place, adjusted the tension with guidance from helpful members, and refilled the hydraulic resevoir. Fired it up and VOILA! It drives back and forth, spins, turns, I'm a happy guy! I've put about 20+ hours since the install and have done a bit of digging, grading, and driving around. Even did a job for a customer and got paid! :D However.....driving this thing any distance takes virtually forever, that is unless you step on the "go fast":rolleyes: pedal located on the floor next to the left drive control. I noted when I tried using this feature that there was a bit of a squealing sound coming from somewhere :beatsme and that the Right drive motor was overpowering the recently replaced Left side. I imagined it was due to lack of use and that I'd look into it further over the winter. I was driving it from the rock wall job I was working on this morning and needed to get back to the house. It was taking forever and I was getting impatient so I was using the accelerator pedal and making corrections as needed to compensated for the problem mentioned earlier. I got about halfway to my destination and stopped to move a couple rocks and now The track is "locked":eek:. No movement in either direction. Well actually it moves about a half inch in either direction and stops cold. Got out of the cab, checked for the obvious, something stuck, track falling off, anything. Nothing. Back in the cab, swung around and lifted the affected side, tried the control and locked solid. Noted some gear oil weeping fom the fluid level plug. I don't think that's a good sign.:( Plug was removed when I topped off fluid after doing my install, but was replaced and properly tightened. One other thing that I have noted was that a few times when I wanted to reposition the machine the Left motor wouldn't respond until I tapped the go fast pedal, then it would function just fine. This is a 1988 Bobcat 100/Komatsu PC 30-5. Anybody got any ideas? Something I can test or should be looking for? I'm trying my best......Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated for this machine operator wannabe...