• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

tying down dozer to trailer

case310350

Ok I never have had to move my dozer, but I do now. I have all the chains etc as I use this trailer to haul my 580k backhoe. I have a bar in the back to attach the chains to the dozer, but in the front I don't see a good way to attach the chains. I have seen where others use the hook on the chain and put it on the pad as a connection point. I just want to do it the safest way. Thanks

catchick

Occupation
Dozer operator
We use the hook on the chain and place it directly onto the inside of the track, loop and hook the other end around the side bar on the trailers and then tighten them with a tightening binder.

catchick

Occupation
Dozer operator
We use the hook on the chain and place it directly onto the inside of the track, loop and hook the other end around the side bar on the trailers and then tighten them with a tightening binder.

I chalk this one up to the mild head injury I sustained in my fall:eek: that and typing without paying attention......ratchet binder....

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
that is ok, the rachet binder is a southern thing. all of us in the great white north still us the snap binder (i thing we call it a snap binder because it is spring loaded and one mistake and the tighten bar goes way up in the air and comes back down.

easy way to tie a cat down is cross chain with the hooks on the edge of the pads. you want the hook on the pad up about a foot so the chain is pulling down to the deck of the trailer.
make sure you wire the binders because it is an easy quick fine for the D.O.T.

also clean you cat of dirt and such. when you get going down the highway the dirt will blow off and shove a rap down the exhaust pipe so the turbo is not turn by air movement.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

greywynd

also clean you cat of dirt and such. when you get going down the highway the dirt will blow off and shove a rap down the exhaust pipe so the turbo is not turn by air movement.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Friend of mine showed me a trick, he uses a paper coffee cup shoved into the stack (assuming it's the right size). If you happen to forget when you start the machine, it flies out anyway. :D:D

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Friend of mine showed me a trick, he uses a paper coffee cup shoved into the stack (assuming it's the right size). If you happen to forget when you start the machine, it flies out anyway. :D:D

I was about 6 or 7 and helping dad one saturday moving equipment. While he was undoing chains and tossing down the ramps I climbed up on the dozer to start it. At the time we just used an old coffee can to cover the exhaust, well I started it and a little rattle and whooop, up went the can and landed right next to him. He got a lil hot for a min, til i smiled and said well i didn't hit you, then he grined a lil and again told me to make sure to take it off first.

Trbo

DM21

I take a chain and loop one end around a D-ring on the trailer, and loop the other end around the arms of the blade. I also use the spring loaded binders... only way to go IMO. I tie on to the rippers to fasten the back.

I didn't realize DOT requires you to wrap wire around the binders?:beatsme

Reuben

I take a chain and loop one end around a D-ring on the trailer, and loop the other end around the arms of the blade. I also use the spring loaded binders... only way to go IMO. I tie on to the rippers to fasten the back.

I didn't realize DOT requires you to wrap wire around the binders?:beatsme

I am not 100% sure but I am pretty sure the blade has to have its own chain also. And then the main part of the machine has to have a chain at all four corners. a back hoe for example,chain on front bucket,one on each corner and one on the back bucket a total of 6 binders.

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
I am not 100% sure but I am pretty sure the blade has to have its own chain also. And then the main part of the machine has to have a chain at all four corners. a back hoe for example,chain on front bucket,one on each corner and one on the back bucket a total of 6 binders.

You are correct:
Dozer or excavator needs 5 chains, 1 on each corner and 1 on the blade or bucket.

Backhoe needs 6 chains.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
where is the edit button, it is a "rag" not a rap.

by KoO to OCR:
nice try, edit time last for ever

...:pointlaugh......:lmao

OCR

Last edited:

OCR

Occupation
where is the edit button, it is a "rag" not a rap.

Deleted double post...servers me right...:p

OCR

Last edited:

xalexjx

should look like this

P1010175.jpg

two pulling forward and two pulling back

bigbob

According to the NH DOT, 4 separate chains and ratchet binders to the frame or track pads, plus a chain over the blade so it is secured to the deck. If a frame chain passes over the blade, you do not need a separate blade chain. A 1" nylon ratchet strap is acceptable over the blade. I call it the bureaucrat strap!

knucklehead98

I think the DOT requires at least 5 chains on a dozer. One on each corner and one for the blade. Unless it has a ripper, then it wopuld need one on it also. I know a backhoe requires six to be legal, one on each corner, one on the front bucket, and one on the rear.

Just remember, you can never have to many chains and binders on one. No one ever had one fall off that way.

OCR

Occupation
Hooking to track pads:

A few pics. of technique... but not for all applications.
DSCF0566.jpg
DSCF0567.jpg
DSCF0571.jpg

I use this method for 312BL ex., and 750C dozer. I can use one long chain hooked into the D-rings, and hook binder on pad and cinch down. Also, if you're using a snap binder... and get the, "one link to tight, other too lose",
dilemma... move the D-ring hook one link... that gives you 1/2 link on binder.

I learned this one time when a guy said..."want me to show you a trick"...:eek:

Of course, I suppose every body already knows it...:)

Cat 312BL on 30 ton Load King lowboy.
DSCF0573.jpg
DSCF0574.jpg

Last edited:

OCR

Occupation
Last edited: