• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Two way headsets

Toegrinder

Occupation
Milling Foreman
Anybody use any? Used some in the past? I am looking at buying a couple sets. As of right now I am leaning towards the Peltor since they have the radio built in to the headset and you have no cords to worry about. They are the higher priced sets I have found but you get what you pay for. I also am looking for the highest Nrr (noise reduction) possible. Any idears? Suggestions?

bean

We use them on our recycling trains all the time life sucks without them.

Peltor makes good headsets however if you are looking for something cheaper check out www.planetheadset.com The TITAN has 24DB NRR which is the same as peltor I believe.

We have used both and had similar results. My advice keep them dry and they will last a few years no problem.

Forgot to mention we use motorola radios. (CP200 and another model I forget)

Aswell try not to mix and match you usually end up with uneven mic volume (one guy you can't hear and another that blows your ear drums)

Last edited:

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Only place I've ever seen them is with paving trains. This bunch here is the first I've seen use actual headsets for a tandem milling operation.

Much as I hate wearing the headset itself, to big and bulky, it is a good idea. I've gotten into just keeping the handheld close and only using the headset for when those special people who paid for them drive by so they are at least comfortable with the fact your faking it for them....

I don't know why Nextel tanked and lost popularity, but they were and still are used quite alot down south, they have a lite weight headset and you can hear them key up with two engines screaming no problem.

Toegrinder

Occupation
Milling Foreman
We use them on our recycling trains all the time life sucks without them.

Peltor makes good headsets however if you are looking for something cheaper check out www.planetheadset.com The TITAN has 24DB NRR which is the same as peltor I believe.

We have used both and had similar results. My advice keep them dry and they will last a few years no problem.

Forgot to mention we use motorola radios. (CP200 and another model I forget)

Aswell try not to mix and match you usually end up with uneven mic volume (one guy you can't hear and another that blows your ear drums)

Thanks for the info... :)

Toegrinder

Occupation
Milling Foreman
Only place I've ever seen them is with paving trains. This bunch here is the first I've seen use actual headsets for a tandem milling operation.

Much as I hate wearing the headset itself, to big and bulky, it is a good idea. I've gotten into just keeping the handheld close and only using the headset for when those special people who paid for them drive by so they are at least comfortable with the fact your faking it for them....

I don't know why Nextel tanked and lost popularity, but they were and still are used quite alot down south, they have a lite weight headset and you can hear them key up with two engines screaming no problem.

I don't want them to communicate between machines, I want them to bs with my groundman, and so I don't have to yell anymore, kinda tired of doing that and creating our own sign language

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Ya thats easy to understand.

Clayton comes and runs the gound for me when we get into a situation the ... doofus groundsman can't handle, which is pretty much all of it but...

When Clayton is on the ground with me....we NEVER need the headsets and know what the other wants. It is/was like being with Steve/Rich@APP/Most of Texop/Charlie@Mohawk/Jack@PP&S and a few others, we all knew what to do and if there was a communication problem we could handle it by by hand signals and reading lips....Again, thats not recommended for beginners.

The other big problem with milling is that the person who makes the final decision sould be clear in the operation. Alot of times the inexperienced groundsman (doofus) is hesitant to trust the operator.

Toegrinder

Occupation
Milling Foreman
I/we don't need headsets either, we know what eachother is doing, it just makes life easier. Plus we can hook up music but still hear what is giong on around us clearly.

621_Rocker

Is there a headset that can be used with a CB in a noisy environment? I need to be able to communicate with truck drivers. Maybe I could use something from the avionics field.

621_Rocker

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Two way headsets:

Maybe I could use something from the avionics field.

621_Rocker
Rocker, I got a pair of these:

I use them in our dozer when I'm on fires... had a radio shop make some different connections, so I could hook them into my BK radio.

I also wired in a PTT switch, using a horn button, that is on my blade control.

I can talk and listen, without stopping, or ever taking my hands off the controls.

I also use them as noise protection, if I don't need a radio... comfortable... almost forget you have them on.

OCR

Last edited: