1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tweaking the HEF "search" function's performance

Discussion in 'Support' started by digger242j, Nov 10, 2012.

1. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator
    There's been some recent discussion about the fact that that HEF's search function is less than ideal. Some of the reason for that is the "character limit"--search terms must be at least 4 characters. Just like everything in life, that's a compromise. Searching for shorter terms will yeild dramatically more results, but it would also increase the workload on the server.

The difficulty lies in the fact that many of the items our members might be looking for have names of fewer than 4 characters, i.e. CAT D6. Search for "CAT", and you'll still get a gazillion results, but if you have a question specific to a "D6" dozer, as presently configured, you won't get any results.

There is something that can be done to improve the functionality of the search feature though. In the Control Panel, there is a place to specify words that can be searched for despite the character limit. They need to be entered individually, but it's something that can be done. I'll never claim to be able to rattle off the name or number of every maker's model of machine, so I'll open the floor to suggestions.

What search terms need to be put on that list?

2. AusDave

AusDave Well-Known Member

Self employed
    Hi digger.

Can't HEF use the google search engine? My web guy has incorporated google search into many websites and it makes it much easier. People are used to the way google works and how to refine their searches using its capabilities. I already use the search parameters in google site:heavyequipmentforums.com to find some items on HEF.

Regards AusDave

3. Rocketsled

Rocketsled Active Member

4. Huntoon

Huntoon Senior Member

Sales Engineer. I design OEM tracked undercarriage
    Better way to search:

Go to google and enter this as the search term:
    "d6 dozer site:http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com"

using this term "site:http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com" ensures that google only searches heavyequipmentforums.com

5. NH575E

NH575E Well-Known Member

A search this forum button would be nice in each child forum. Most forums I belong to have this feature instead of having to select which forum from the main search. The main search did not isolate the section I wanted to search in when I tried it.

6. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder

If you click "Advanced" in the Search icon you can do just that NH575E