• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Turning 50 kinda sucks.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Muscle memory and keen positioning for hand control without looking!!! As well ambidextrous.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I had a teacher in high school that had male pattern baldness. He had 4 or 5 hairs that were probably 20 feet long and in the morning he would weave them back and fourth over the bald area. To him in the mirror it must have looked like he had hair but it looked terrible.
My hair line is starting to recede, taller fore head syndrome. I have very bushy eyebrows. I used get my barber to trim them but now I have been letting them grow for a few months out so I can comb them back so no one will know I am going bald.
A friend of mine recently sent me some pictures they took at a party back when I was 17 or 18. Man I could barely get a comb through that mop back then. Fast forward 15 years, still have lots of hair, its just thinned out a bit but only on the front. Hope I don't have the bald gene but if I do I guess I'll rock the Kim Mitchell or Joe Satriani look.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Muscle memory and keen positioning for hand control without looking!!! As well ambidextrous.
Drummers never get the credit they deserve. Each arm and leg moving in a different time, keeping their place in the song. Then take someone like Don Henley or Phil Colins who also sing

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator

chidog

The boomer generation is the _______ed, generation. We don't get a small portion of the respect that our WW2 parents did. We have grown up in and have lived in a way different world than Gen's before and after us.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I essentially grew up as My Parents and Grands had. We ate what were presented, Did our chores EVERY Day without complaint or took the beating appreciatively. We worked Hard to get into a Better Life, which all we knew was Work Hard or Harder. I made good in life, got some good resultant prizes from Harder work. Watched my Dad and Mom and Grandmother fight for existence everyday as a youth. Wore Hand Me downs, NOTHING went to waste, still have a Remnant Quilt from Grandmother of all the Clothing I wore as a Child. We gardened, we played with what had, we got filthy and sunburnt and loved every minute of it. GenX and Z have no clue as to what life was like in the 1960s or the 1950s for that matter. I remember yet, the construction of US Interstate Highways, still remember travel on US Two and Four lane highways having to negotiate thru small and median sized towns. Was close to seven hours STL to KC MO back in the day, and Yes, knew how to pee in a bandaid tin to keep Pop from having to stop the car. NO AC, Coal Fired Furnaces, Washed house in Spring of Coal ash residue, burned trash in Back Alley of house, all food materials went to compost for garden. Played as a Child on Great Uncle and Aunt's farm for Summers. Collected Eggs, fed Chickens, did it barefoot poop and all. Walked barefoot thru Milking stalls, just had to wash to get back inside house, we Fought to stay OUTSIDE. I said and still use Sir and Ma'am, ASKED not told someone to get me anything or better yet fended for myself.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Related the Interstates Construction to a suspected Gen Z whining of SO Long to get anywhere, her take was they were started after Civil War, no clue her Grandparents likely drove the Old US Highways.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Had my followup with the doctor this morning. No clone to transfer my brain into so I have to live with this body for awhile longer. Hit the red line for A1C of 6.5. No diabetes drugs yet but supposed to go with the wife to listen to a life style couch tell us about diet and exercise. Doc ordered a test kit so I can test blood sugar a couple of times a week. Once in the morning before eating and another time at least two hours after eating just to get a base line for when the levels rise. He said it not something I had to do but he thought it might be a help. Told him I've done oil sampling on equipment for more than forty years and that I can relate to his comments.

At any rate I haven't rooted my butt in the chair yet so haven't started counting down retirement time yet.

Truck Shop

Done here April 15th, already hauled 50% plus of tools home. Company will get a
two week notice on the 31st. With the way the repair is being handled through the
boys in yellow and gray it's such a mess I don't want to deal with it anymore.
My friend that own's a machine shop needs someone about two days a week at times,
plus other small stuff people want I will have something to while away the hours.
I had a CT scan and xrays on Monday late afternoon, talk to doctors today. I know what they
are going to say.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Had my followup with the doctor this morning. No clone to transfer my brain into so I have to live with this body for awhile longer. Hit the red line for A1C of 6.5. No diabetes drugs yet but supposed to go with the wife to listen to a life style couch tell us about diet and exercise. Doc ordered a test kit so I can test blood sugar a couple of times a week. Once in the morning before eating and another time at least two hours after eating just to get a base line for when the levels rise. He said it not something I had to do but he thought it might be a help. Told him I've done oil sampling on equipment for more than forty years and that I can relate to his comments.

At any rate I haven't rooted my butt in the chair yet so haven't started counting down retirement time yet.
My blood sugar used to spike in the morning. (Not diabetic) I started taking a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water before bed for acid reflux. Cured my reflux, and no sugar spikes in the am.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Done here April 15th, already hauled 50% plus of tools home. Company will get a
two week notice on the 31st. With the way the repair is being handled through the
boys in yellow and gray it's such a mess I don't want to deal with it anymore.
My friend that own's a machine shop needs someone about two days a week at times,
plus other small stuff people want I will have something to while away the hours.
I had a CT scan and xrays on Monday late afternoon, talk to doctors today. I know what they
are going to say.
Always lots to keep one busy in retirement. My father gave up the full time wrench gig, and started driving wrecker for a friend of his before he died. Mechanic, slash machinist, slash welder, slash electrician, slash social worker at my work retired, and hasn't stopped since.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
My blood sugar used to spike in the morning. (Not diabetic) I started taking a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water before bed for acid reflux. Cured my reflux, and no sugar spikes in the am.
I don't feel anything with the projected diabetes. The reflux though just kills me for days. I'll have to try the apple cider vinegar and see if that helps. Problem though is that the check valve on top of my stomach is worn out and doesn't hold anymore.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
GenX and Z have no clue as to what life was like in the 1960s or the 1950s for that matter.

Easy there Boomer - don't know how life was in the 50's or 60's but this is how I grew up. :D

Gen X here that rode bicycles on a chert road with no shoes which taught one how to ride a pedal bike pretty damn quickly. Drank water out of a hose pipe, built forts in the woods with a bow saw and hatchet, played army with stick guns we cut off trees and were locked out of the house during the day in summer time. Loved every minute of it.

Raised and killed hogs in late fall. Grandpa had a pine box he made to salt hams. Also raised chickens for eggs and meat in addition to hunting for deer, rabbits and squirrels. I was fortunate at an early age to see where our food comes from and respect it.

Parents and grandparents always had a garden we enjoyed working in from planting to harvesting. What I would give to go back to a Saturday lunch at my grandparents with fresh cream corn, green beans, butter beans, black eyed peas, fried chicken and homemade pepper sauce.:)