• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Turning 50 kinda sucks.

Truck Shop

In this business age can suddenly creep up, most issue at 50 are passed off as small
not important. At 60 you notice a few more issues but you still feel like your in decent
shape. At 65 things have taken a turn, you just don't move as smooth and fast. That
knee that kind of had a ache once in while has turned into a constant reminder.
You find turning your head to check traffic on your right the range has diminished.
Your hands-the finger joints are starting to raise and enlarge. All things that come
with this type of work. On a recent visit to the cardiologist he introduced himself sat
down and said {By the look of your hands you don't work in a bank, wow those have
a lot of miles on them and that tells me tons about you}.

Really no one should expect to do this type of work without realizing the toll it will take
if a lot of effort is put in the job. Yes jacks, hoists and all the other helpful items reduce
the wear & tear on ones body, but that is a ideal situation-we know there is no ideal
situations with this type of work.

Just try to retire with all your digits it makes it easier to hold the toilet paper.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
At my annual physical last August the doctor told me I could get a blood draw at any time without an appointment. Said I was pre-diabetic and should get that done at least every six months. Been feeling a little funny lately so went in this morning to see if the doctor told the truth about the quick check. Check in lady says I'm first and I no sooner sit for the usual wait when I hear my name called out. Little lady who called my name shows me back to the blood chamber and points to what looks like a modified electric chair without the funny cap on top. Then she asks for my cards. I had them out for the check in lady but put them away just before I sat down to wait. I almost have to standup to get to my wallet. I guess one computer wasn't enough as she is working on two computers. Finally she gets done and starts setting up. She goes to the other side of the room and pulls out two jars and a finger length vial. Next a contraption with a length of hose. I make a comment about the usual test for an A1C seemed to use only the small vial. She looks at me and says you must be special. About that time I feel the sting and see my internal fluid start spurting into the first jar. I mention that the pump must be working and she replies, "it appears so." She pulls out the first vial and inserts the second. The spurting happens again when she mentions something about high blood pressure people filling the jars up pretty fast. I am a bit slow in the morning, particularly when I haven't had any coffee, when it dawns on me what she meant by that and I look down to see the small vile starting to fill. Before I can open my mouth that is full and the lady has the patch of gauze over the needle and that stretchy stuff wrapped around my arm to hold the gauze in place. Have a nice day and I'm out of the chair on the way out the door. On the drive home I'm wondering about those extra two jars, when the results will come back and how long it will take to get my first cup of coffee pored.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
At my annual physical last August the doctor told me I could get a blood draw at any time without an appointment. Said I was pre-diabetic and should get that done at least every six months. Been feeling a little funny lately so went in this morning to see if the doctor told the truth about the quick check. Check in lady says I'm first and I no sooner sit for the usual wait when I hear my name called out. Little lady who called my name shows me back to the blood chamber and points to what looks like a modified electric chair without the funny cap on top. Then she asks for my cards. I had them out for the check in lady but put them away just before I sat down to wait. I almost have to standup to get to my wallet. I guess one computer wasn't enough as she is working on two computers. Finally she gets done and starts setting up. She goes to the other side of the room and pulls out two jars and a finger length vial. Next a contraption with a length of hose. I make a comment about the usual test for an A1C seemed to use only the small vial. She looks at me and says you must be special. About that time I feel the sting and see my internal fluid start spurting into the first jar. I mention that the pump must be working and she replies, "it appears so." She pulls out the first vial and inserts the second. The spurting happens again when she mentions something about high blood pressure people filling the jars up pretty fast. I am a bit slow in the morning, particularly when I haven't had any coffee, when it dawns on me what she meant by that and I look down to see the small vile starting to fill. Before I can open my mouth that is full and the lady has the patch of gauze over the needle and that stretchy stuff wrapped around my arm to hold the gauze in place. Have a nice day and I'm out of the chair on the way out the door. On the drive home I'm wondering about those extra two jars, when the results will come back and how long it will take to get my first cup of coffee pored.
Few months time, a clone of John C joins HEF

Truck Shop

Funny-I had to get blood lab work done yesterday before a late MRI on afternoon Monday.
Anywho I walked in checked in for lab work, and walked out done all in less than 8 minutes.
I could get a blood draw at any time without an appointment. Said I was pre-diabetic and should get that done at least every six months. Been feelin

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Any words of wisdom?
Uncle was 86 went out for a visit, macular degeneration L eye, had to get hearing aids, grumpy except when around myself or my older brother. WWII Navair vet would not ever complain of anything. Let him do much of the talking, he would open a little at a time but never very much or very often.
Just listen, be patient, be receptive and try not to argue even if know right.

chidog

MRI ? I was under the impression that machinists and welders can't have them? Small metal lodged in the body stuff I think. I wonder about metal implants? Hmm annual medical exam I think that was over 5 years ago, though more recent eye exams.

Airplanes, only if they are not flyby wire, and I'm the one flying it.

chidog

It amazes me how Dr's will put stuff in a persons body that none of us mechanic sorts would ever use on an old rusted out pile of junk.

So what are the small vertical pin looking things between the vertebra where the disk is?
I understand back problems very well.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I'm considered 100% SC P&T (service connected, permanent and total disability) and I get to front of the line. Problem is I don't want to be in the line that is here in this city. Though if I need something I give'em a jingle on the tele for next city which is 3 hours away.
Every time I show up before I get through the doors they are calling for me, wife looks at me and asks what did you do to be so special since everyone has been in the lobby for hours.
Appointments now are another problem, 6 weeks sometimes for X rays, I think it will be grown back by then crooked. Take it to the civilian ER room they say since I live so far away, yeah right, by the time the VA denies or approves paying for it the civilian hospital has already sent the bill a few times and the creditors are dinging your credit.
Times have changed since then, I think you can't have your credit dinged from hospital bills anymore.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I was bugged about something I stated about a flight to Hawaii. I said I didn't fly on Pop a Top
airlines but flew on Aloha Airlines. That was in correct Pop a Top and Aloha are one in the same.

The 1988 Pop a Top disaster.

View attachment 281919
I remember that. The stewardess got sucked into the hole, and the sudden blockage caused the rest of the section to come off. Wife thinks I am crazy to watch Mayday.... she hates flying.