• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Turning 50 kinda sucks.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
There have been a few times having younger bosses. But only one time having one that was very good, all the rest not so great, and hard to deal with. But then again even some of the older ones were like children, I noticed that alot in the heavy equipment construction business, like big kids with big toys.
I can respect this one, he does actual work. Likewise right now he is out hauling cattle, then again what do you do when you are a driver short and this mechanic is needed more in the shop than on the road.
On a different note I’m allowed ear buds with noise cancellation cause of my problems from war, but I finally got some yesterday and had it custom tuned to my ability to hear certain tones. Yeah I’m 50% deaf in one ear, thanks for telling me Uncle Sam at my last hearing test, I wear ear plugs even when running cutting torch so it’s not civilian life noise.

crane operator

Turned 50 this year and never felt more motivated at life both personal and business

I'm right there with you. I turned 50 last summer, I'm old enough now, that I don't get wrapped around the axle with little problems like I used to. My wife says I've mellowed out a little bit.

I really enjoy what I do and have a great group of guys to work with.

Welder Dave

I'm in pretty good shape for 63 and 45 years of wrenching. I'm still working part time and the body is holding up so far. When I turn 65 in a a year and a half and my pensions kick in I will have a decision to make. I do a lot of electrical and electronic troubleshooting and repairs and I really enjoy the challenge. I get the odd job that makes me question why I am still working though.
A friend of mine in his mid seventies told me "It's amazing how once you are in your seventies you can injure yourself sleeping"
The older you get the less you can trust a fart.

Truck Shop

People who are just bubbly, smiling all the time, have a skip in their step, just full of optimism,
life of the party, light up the room, just all aglow, every other word is on the positive side.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Either has had zero tough times or zero real tragedy, been extremely lucky. But in fact they don't live
any longer than the rest. Simple fact. Plus their sh!t stinks like everybody else.
My goal has been to find one of those type each day and torment them a little bit just to drag them
off their cloud. :D

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
I considered being called a cranky old ba$tard a badge of honor. Now that I'm no longer dealing with a bunch of whiny a$$ drivers and incompetent turds on a daily basis I'm not so angry, my blood pressure has gone down exponentially and I do smile a little more, in fact lately I find myself walking through the woods collecting sap buckets, talking to the chicadees and laughing my a$$ for no reason. Uh Oh , Ahh life is grand.

Last edited:

mekanik

People who are just bubbly, smiling all the time, have a skip in their step, just full of optimism,
life of the party, light up the room, just all aglow, every other word is on the positive side.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Either has had zero tough times or zero real tragedy, been extremely lucky. But in fact they don't live
any longer than the rest. Simple fact. Plus their sh!t stinks like everybody else.
My goal has been to find one of those type each day and torment them a little bit just to drag them
off their cloud. :D
There is the possibility that they are just plain stupid!

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
For the independent mechanics I don’t know if retirement ever really happens. You just work less hours , have looong coffee breaks,take time with the grandkids and only take the jobs you like doing. I enjoy a good out of frame engine rebuild or a power shift trans in my shop. No rush, pays good and not too many surprises.

Tugger2

Hit 50 never even noticed it,too busy . Hit 65 last fall not quite so busy but still good to carry on for a while . Had a serious accident a week later on the job and came to full stop with too much time to think about things.Recovering well but feeling pretty old right now but i think ill be carrying on doing something useful .What else does a guy do? The couch isnt for me.

Truck Shop

For the independent mechanics I don’t know if retirement ever really happens. You just work less hours , have looong coffee breaks,take time with the grandkids and only take the jobs you like doing. I enjoy a good out of frame engine rebuild or a power shift trans in my shop. No rush, pays good and not too many surprises.

I have two jobs already lined up to do as I want to when I want to. Rebuild a set of jakes
and a tune-up on a 3ZJ, the second is a out of frame on a 525 N-14. That one someone
will have to do the heavy stuff. I can could have plenty to do just don't want to push it
and have a blow out in my artery.
But I would like some time for myself also.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
We have a lot of guys in their early 70s still working. One fella, a truck driver. 73, had a heart attack last fall. Can't wait to get back to work. Some people age well. Government ticket taker. He's on a lot of jobs with us. Someone asked him if he was getting close to 65. He pulled out his ID, and turns out he is 74. I wouldn't have believed him. I spoke to him last week at the grocery store, and he is still going back to work for DOT this season. If my dad was still alive, he would be 82? I think he would have been working if he was able. Now my sister is 65 this fall, and she keeps telling her boss to get someone for her to train, because she is done. Asphalt roller man has been talking retirement since he was 65. Better train someone.... He turned 70 this past summer, and when the plant shut down for the season, he hung up his hard hat. The guy that runs the service truck is also an asphalt roller man, as well as running the back roller when paving roads. He has cancer, and is not expected to return. One think to roll asphalt on a straight road, or a big parking lot, but what about that driveway with the low points for water, and the round about in front of the house? Shoulda trained someone.

Welder Dave

For some people working past their normal retirement actually relaxes them. Gives them something to do, a sense of accomplishment or a way to keep in touch with all the friends they've made over the years. You hear stories of people retiring and being miserable because they're bored. Some people have had everything given to them and don't know the meaning of a dollar or putting in a good days work. I'm never really cheery without a care in the world but hope I don't become the grouchy old man nobody wants anything to do with. I can still give some good advice and won't bite your head off if you ask.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
We have driver here that's 83. Started driving when was 19. Pretty close to 8 million
miles. Still turns 600 miles plus a day.

There is a sand and gravel outfit I work with often that has two guys driving dump, both 75, both guys out drive and outhaul a whole fleet of guys half their age. Also both guys are there on Saturday hauling gravel onto my job when nobody else wanted to show up.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Unless things change big time. I'll retire with nothing. I'll own my home, but will I be able to keep it up with a basic pension. My wife is a smoker, and has worked minimum wage jobs her whole life, so her pension will be peanuts. I'll probably have to work as long as I am capable just to eat.

Truck Shop

I'll probably have to work as long as I am capable just to eat.

With inflation many will be in that boat unfortunately. It has become a huge factor in retirement.
Here combined with health costs and property taxes, you just try to live never mind traveling.
Really health problems are for the rich in some cases. One individual I knew worth millions had
pancreatic cancer I remember him saying {You know I can buy what ever I want but even with
all the money I have I can't buy my health}.