• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Turning 50 kinda sucks.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I don't feel anything with the projected diabetes. The reflux though just kills me for days. I'll have to try the apple cider vinegar and see if that helps. Problem though is that the check valve on top of my stomach is worn out and doesn't hold anymore.
One of my sisters is a bit of a health nut. She turned me on the the ACV for reflux. It's not enough acid in your stomach that causes the problem, not too much. It has to be a good ACV, not the kind you cook with. Braggs is a good brand. it worked well, and I did some research on it, and it is supposed to be good for a lot of stuff. Some people take it in the morning, I prefer before bed. I have not had a reflux attack in a long time. Don't drink it if you have ulcers though. Be sure to mix it with water, it can be hard on your teeth.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I had a nasty bout of acid reflux in late fall. Doc put me on PPI's one pill daily for 2 months. I've cut way down on pop, coffee and alcohol and have myself weened down to an as needed basis with the pills now. I can usually go almost 2 weeks without needing one.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I quit pop years ago, only drinking five cups of coffee in the morning before doing any work and only drink a couple of beers a month. A whiskey or scotch only on special occasions. Doing the second week of the pills now. That stops the burn but not the reflux. I angled the bed up so I can sleep with it reduced a bit. I've been told there is a surgery to help the valve above my stomach to seal better. Also been told the risks and that the fix might be worse than what I go through now. Been working on doing the simple things to reduce the incidents and help with the pain when it shows up. I figure it as part getting old. Age is not for the weak.

chidog

The main thing that causes me acid reflux is Canola oil, brother too. If I stay away from it no problems.
Very hard to cut it out its in everything. Its GMO rapeseed oil.
Pop? Its okay if you use only a small fraction of it diluted with seltzer water, other wise its too sweet.

Welder Dave

To get a good idea of the boomer thought pattern watch a episode of a
Barret Jackson or Mecum auction. Watch as the camera pans the audience.
Most guys watching Barret Jackson are much more interested in checking out the girl in tight leather pants a$$ when she's bending and stretching to put the sold sticker on the cars. They get mad when the camera man misses her.
Hope your tests come back OK.

I'm frustrated because although the cancer is in full remission recovering from the treatments and stem cell transplant makes me much weaker than I should be for my age. I get fatigued way too easily and lately my joints have been aching a lot. I hope it gets better but I'm aging at the same time. I can appreciate what the guys who have been wrenching/doing physical work for 40 or more years are going through. It does take a toll on the body. There's no way I could do a lot of the stuff I did when I was younger today. It's hard for me to get up if I have to get down on my knee's. Even getting in and out of a vehicle is kind of a slow planned event. My legs were so stiff and sore for a couple days after I went out to clear some snow in the grader. I worry I might lose my grip and fall off.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Our niece from younger brother has three lovely young girls. They were taught early on field animals are ‘food’, no complaints when time to clean wild or slaughter herd stock. No pet names and no flinching when bleed out a pig. Really fun to see them grow as my brothers and I had even as their Momma was not raised that way. She is a late Gen X perhaps a Z as born in 1980s. Her oldest is in Fourth Grade.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The main thing that causes me acid reflux is Canola oil, brother too. If I stay away from it no problems.
Very hard to cut it out its in everything. Its GMO rapeseed oil.
Pop? Its okay if you use only a small fraction of it diluted with seltzer water, other wise its too sweet.
Most all cooking oils do that for me, lard is only ‘safe’ cooking oil. Only Commercial Soda/Pop I still catch a bite of is mixed with whiskey. Prefer unsweet tea or Water with meals. Coffee is the major no-no for my a id reflux, still down a pot a day regardless and use Tums to turn down the burn.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I quit pop years ago, only drinking five cups of coffee in the morning before doing any work and only drink a couple of beers a month. A whiskey or scotch only on special occasions. Doing the second week of the pills now. That stops the burn but not the reflux. I angled the bed up so I can sleep with it reduced a bit. I've been told there is a surgery to help the valve above my stomach to seal better. Also been told the risks and that the fix might be worse than what I go through now. Been working on doing the simple things to reduce the incidents and help with the pain when it shows up. I figure it as part getting old. Age is not for the weak.
My mother had hiatal hernia surgery, not fun.

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
I turned 40 this month.
This is one of few things that's put a smirk of "ya, I get that" on my face....
For the last couple weeks I've thoughts turning 40 kinda sucked....

Oxbow

Well damn if this wasn't a depressing thread to read!

At 65 I relate to many of the comments, but fortunately I can still do the work, just need to do it differently than I used to.

Truck Shop, I hope you are enjoying your retirement, and hope you have plenty of time to comb the countryside and take photos of old dozens and trucks!

skyking1

Said when you are landing a 747, and your rear gear touches the runway, you are 13 stories in the air in the cockpit
I got a ferry and instructor gig because of that. Long story long, I was at the airport and saw this guy feeling for the runway in a mid-60's 310 at about 75 feet up. It was seriously scary as those things come down like a toolbox with a broken handle when the stall breaks.
He got it down and landed, barely. I went down to the pumps and casually engaged in conversation, and he was a 747 pilot for NW who just purchased the plane for his son to build hours in, at a flight school in Florida.
He was leaving in a few days to take it across the country, and had not been in anything but a 747 in years.
He took me up on my offer to accompany them, and we picked up his son in Phoenix and I gave him instruction on the way down and some hood time when we got there.