• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tub Grinders

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Hey Bob Falfa that sure is a verey wicked 55 chevy you got....lol!, yeah i have run a morbark too... all grinders are work, from changing hammer tips and screens, to blowing them off everynight so they wont burn down...

whiteline

ive ran and been around alot of types of grinders. In my experience with whole logs and stumps/ brush the peterson has been a superior grinder. the bandit has some good ideas but with 60 teeth it makes it to expensive to maintain especially considering carbide teeth and rocks dont fair to well.they also have a terrible problem catching on fire. The cbi is a good machine aswell and id say was eqaul with the peterson. any grinder you have might be great at brand new but make sure you have a full service truck welder etc because maintainance is high and expensive on any of your choices

Grindrite

I agree that CBI and Peterson are both great brands for heavy duty grinders. For grinding stumps you need a heavy machine with a lot of horsepower and both CBI and Peterson fit the bill. Keeping your grinder from catching on fire is not too difficult. Really just requires that you keep it clean of debris. Many of the grinders come with an optional air compressor mounted to them for blowing them off at the end of each day. They do require regular maintenace and have wear parts that must be replaced fairly regularly depending mostly on the material you are running through them. More dirt = more frequent replacement.

None of them like large pieces of metal, but many of the newer models have breakaway screens below the mill that will give if the mill really finds something it doesn't like. If metal is a major concern, consider running larger screens and using a screening machine after the grinder to help filter out any metal. Then you can just regrind the cleaned out pile with smaller screens for a great clean product. This will help keep metal from jamming up the mill and causing major damage, however if you plan to run rebar through your machine on a regular basis, you may have to consider a pick line to pull it out.

At any rate, finding a quality used machine is key to running a profitable operation. With new machines running $500k plus, it can be difficult to stay in profitable after covering the euipment and parts costs. I would reccomend http://earthsaverequipment.com as a source for advice on equipment and replacement parts. There is an equipment guide there that explains some of the various factors that you should consider before purchasing grinding equipment.

Grindrite

Additional Tub Grinder Information

For anyone else looking for additional information on grinder selection, repair and maintenance I found a website you should see. www.grinderinfo.com. I came across this website while looking for some advice on screens for my tub grinder and thought that others may benefit from some of the information I found there.

Tirerecycling

Hi,
We're looking to rent a tub grinder to shred tires, if you're interested in talking more let me know. Thanks
Jay 303-625-3879

amscontr

Occupation
Operating Engineer 520
Around here they are using grinders to grind up asphalt shingles and resell the grindings to asphalt plants.
I found an old one I was thinking about scrapping/salvaging some of it and using the rest for a firewood processor. But the transport costs will kill that idea.