1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TS14B Hydraulic Tank Overflowing

Discussion in 'Scrapers' started by JustinG, Mar 5, 2018.

1. JustinG

JustinG Well-Known Member

Diesel Mechanic, Cummins
    I have a TS14B that has an issue with the hydraulic tank overflowing after about 40 minutes of operating. I've already replaced the hydraulic filter & cleaned screen for hydraulics. I ended up putting a new pump and suction lines on it a few days ago. I pumped the tank out to see if there was another screen it the bottom, but couldn't really tell with the tank on the machine. The hydraulics work fine when it's first being used and then hydraulics get really slow and tank starts to overflow.
    I'm leaning towards a suction problem, possibly in the tank. Anyone ever had this happen? Any ideas on what all to check?

Thanks,
    Justin

bccat likes this.
  2. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    I never worked with the B's, Was the tank meant to be pressurized with a pressure/vacuum relief valve? Had a Wabco 339 doing that once and the tank pressure relief valve was the problem. Proper pressure in the tank speeded things up too. If the Wabco would only steer to the right... Low tank pressure or a plugged suction screen was usually the problem.

3. JustinG

Diesel Mechanic, Cummins
    The hydraulic tank is vented and the oil overflows out the vent.

4. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Yeah, you have some kind of suction issue. I'm just not sure what it is. You're absolutely positive the suction strainer is spotless? I've seen multi later screens that looked clean outside but were still plugged. Not saying that's what you have, just an idea. Worked on a Trojan loader once that must have eaten a shop rag... or two. The screen looked like it was packed with felt.

5. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Are there any hoses in the circuit that may be collapsing ?

6. JustinG

Diesel Mechanic, Cummins
    I had to have lines made for the pump. The line to the steering section of the pump is all new. The suction hose for the other hydraulics was reused, I removed it and it still looks good inside. Maybe, it could be collapsing?

7. mikebramel

mikebramel Senior Member

What kind of clamps and did you put new orings on the flanges

8. JustinG

Diesel Mechanic, Cummins
    Lines are flange style and have all new orings

9. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Try replacing that suction hose even though it looks good. That removes any chance it is the problem.
    Does the tank level drop after the machine is shut down for a while ?

10. JustinG

Diesel Mechanic, Cummins
    I'm getting a hose made today. The level goes back to normal when machine sits and hydraulics will work for about 35 minutes.

Tinkerer likes this.