• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TS14 stuck brake shoes on anchor pins- can't remove wheel

Questionable wizard

I'm sure this has been dealt with many times, especially on the truck side, but the brake shoes are stuck out against the drum hard. Can't even bar over the driveshaft to the axle. Grease worms have been working their magic on the anchor pins.

I have the slack adjuster/S cam backed off and have visible gap between the shoe roller and S cam.

With the trucks, it's easier to get a wrecking bar between the shoe and drum next to the roller and pry the shoe away.
Not much room on the Terex.

I've been trying to hammer a fat chisel between the shoe and drum, but not much hammer room. Never had much luck with the Port-a-power duck-bill pry-apart tool.

Any tricks from the Terex wrench gods? Looking for ideas before I put the smoke wrench on the shoe anchor pin area.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Was it parked with wet brakes, the shoes may be rusted to the drum. Usually several sharp smacks to the drum cures that.
If it is the anchor pins, warm up the shoe pivot area and try to get some penetrating oil in there, the heat might loosen up the old lube.

petepilot

I'm sure this has been dealt with many times, especially on the truck side, but the brake shoes are stuck out against the drum hard. Can't even bar over the driveshaft to the axle. Grease worms have been working their magic on the anchor pins.

I have the slack adjuster/S cam backed off and have visible gap between the shoe roller and S cam.

With the trucks, it's easier to get a wrecking bar between the shoe and drum next to the roller and pry the shoe away.

I've been trying to hammer a fat chisel between the shoe and drum, but not much hammer room. Never had much luck with the Port-a-power duck-bill pry-apart tool.

Any tricks from the Terex wrench gods? Looking for ideas before I put the smoke wrench on the shoe anchor pin area.
a 20 dollar spray can of kroil .has worked well for me, shoot the ends of the shoes front to back so it can soak in from both ends let it sit overnite , if that doesn't loosen em up you may have to break out the heat

tavery

Occupation
sand @ gravel operation

Hi, read one of your old posts. Having the same problem with my 14b frozen
brake shoe - anchor pins. Did you have any success getting the brakes
working as they should. Thx. Terry