• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trying to decide whether Skid Steer stays or goes.

ericscher

I have a 2004(?) Gehl 4625SX.
She has the usual 10x22 tires, a track-over-tire set, full enclosure and heat, but no A/C.
She does have a windshield wiper though. FWIW.

She has the extra hydraulics to the front but not the High-Flow kit and that can't be retrofit. (I asked)
I replaced all the hydraulic hoses on all the attachments that have them two winters ago and she's been stored inside ever since.

She also has her own trailer.

Attachments:
  • Forks
  • Standard Bucket
  • Rock Rake
  • Grapple Bucket
  • Trencher
  • Auger

Nothing extraordinary, just the usual sort of equipment that anyone in this general line of work has.

So why am I trying to decide whether or not to sell?

Because frankly, I don't use her as much as I thought I would when I bought her.

If I knew then what I know now I would probably have not bought her, I would have simply rented when I needed one.

On the other hand, she's paid for...

But I can't help thinking that owning a "Hanger Queen" is not a productive use of assets.

The trouble I've run into is that I can't really work up a good value figure because I can't find any good examples for comparison.

So here's the question:

Sight unseen, and with the premise that everything is in good working order...

Working up from zero...

At what point would your gut feeling be; "That's too much money"?

Jeepwalker

I'll take a swing at this. Approximate values:

Skid Steer - $12,000 - 13,000 (depending on hours, condition, etc). The 25 series Gehls probably aren't in as much demand as the 35's.
Tracks - $1,000
Forks - $500
Standard bucket - $500
Rock forks - 400
Grapple bucket - $1,000
Trencher - $2,000 (is this a backhoe, or just an articulating bucket?)
Auger - $900 - $1,200 (more if you have more bits, larger size, etc)

Total - $18,300 - $22,000 Just a rough estimate. Lot of variables in condition and the specifics of your attachments. A start-up contractor might be interested in buying a complete package, but might do better selling separate. Course you could package together and sweeten the price.

You can check prices on Machinery trader and things like that.

ericscher

The Trencher is more like a ditch-witch.

I think if I did sell it I would sell everything as a package. It wouldn't make sense any other way because this machine is from the days before the quick attach systems got standardized.

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate it.

Rentalstop

Jeepwalker is pretty accurate on attachment pricing. Probably pretty close on the skid steer as well, depending on hours ?
You say it's 2004 but before quick attach systems were standardized. Most manufacturers were the same after 2000. Possibly different hose ends but the quick attach should work. I'm in Central Ohio also. I would be happy to see if your attachments fit the "bobcat standard". I also have people that ask me all the time if I have any lines on used equipment.

td25c

Sounds like it's set up similar to our skid loader .

The attachments sure make it a handy item .

Don't have the trencher but the back hoe attachment gets used quite a bit . Have some rock issues in my area and a trencher don't cut it in many cases .

I reckon the market is different for everyone but my skid loader aint goin nowhere !

It's to handy & made money on small jobs plus tag teaming with a dozer & excavator on bigger jobs .

She's a keeper !

I don't pay much attention to what an equipment dealer says it's worth ?

As I know what it's worth to customers .;)

ericscher

Rental,
I'd be happy to let you look at it.

td,
I hear what you're saying, but the nature of my business is such that I'm not getting the use out of it that I expected so I have to evaluate the relative merits.

Besides, at the moment I'm just gathering information. I have not made any decisions yet and I won't until I feel I have enough information to make a wise decision.

td25c

td,
I hear what you're saying, but the nature of my business is such that I'm not getting the use out of it that I expected so I have to evaluate the relative merits.

Besides, at the moment I'm just gathering information. I have not made any decisions yet and I won't until I feel I have enough information to make a wise decision.

Can sure understand that Eric .

Take time & research it through like you are doing .

Paid for equipment is better than money in the bank . Don't sell it cheap giving it away .

The one attachment that really makes our skid shine is the backhoe . If ya decide to keep it look at backhoe attachments , they will help keep it busy .

We use it all the time . Damn thing is like a little tracked piggy bank looking for the next deposit .:)

I should have bought two of them .:D

http://www.heavytruckforums.com/showthread.php?263-Some-Holmes-750-action&p=2470&viewfull=1#post2470

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
People are going to react hostilely. A skid steer is way less versatile than a CTL. Skid steers are great little loaders, take lots of attachments, but CTLs do all that plus are great for grading. Using a skid loader on a lawn or perfect driveway is a problem. No I don't have one, but I wish I did.

Willie

Jeepwalker

A chain-style trencher is probably worth more than I estimated, say $2,500 at the low end, maybe $3,200 or a little more in good condition depending on it's length, brand, and of course condition. But if it's not a universal mount, and Gehl-only, then you are at the mercy of the market. You have a nice variety of attachments there.

What about a skid trailer (figure about ~$1,000-$1,700 depending on what it is)? That smaller size skid allows a contractor to more easily transport to the jobsite and work in narrower spots.

Trashman

Occupation
Garboligist
My 2 cents....

1. It's paid for...
2. You have multiple attachments
3. It is not worth much as new attachments will not fit/work properly.
4. Lower maintenance cost, due to pre-electronic engine. Especially if you can repair it yourself.
5. Did I mention...."It's paid for...."

No way would I get rid of it, if it were mine. I have a 1973 John Deere 300A backhoe that I can keep running with bubblegum and bailing wire if necessary. Don't use it much, but when I do, it is worth it's weight in gold!

Good luck with what ever decision you make.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Paid for equipment is better than money in the bank . Don't sell it cheap giving it away .

What TD said.:professor

No way would I get rid of it, if it were mine. I have a 1973 John Deere 300A backhoe that I can keep running with bubblegum and bailing wire if necessary. Don't use it much, but when I do, it is worth it's weight in gold!

Sounds like my ol' blue, a 1998 534C6 telehandler. I bought her new and it's been a work horse. Many times I've thought about selling her but I just can't do it. When I bought her I was in the multifamily building business, building townhouse and small commercial buildings. Over time the work changed and we focus more on dirt and pipe work not vertical construction but I kept her because she's been paid for a while and still earns when the key is turned.

She's handy as a shirt pocket when you need her.;)

Eric I'm a keeper when it comes to equipment for all the reasons stated. However your business model and decisions may be different from TD, Trashcan and I. FWIW I think your valuation is close in the retail market. Are you sure it's not a standard skid steer quick coupler? Not the hydraulics but the boom to attachment quick coupler.

Last edited:

check

There is nothing wrong with liquidating one asset if the capital would serve you better elsewhere. Equity in a machine is like equity in real estate or anything else. I buy and sell lots of things. The key is being good at transactions. If you're somewhat of a buy-low-sell-high artist, it serves you well to do so, if you aren't, then others who are will benefit from your lack of skill. In the case of the latter, keeping paid off equipment forever makes more sense than trying to convert that equity for better yield, as the margins will eat your lunch. Also you have to factor in the value of your time as dealing with tire-kickers can be a burden.

Last edited:

ericscher

First, thank you everyone for your input. I do think I'm going to put it up for sale but I will be asking $20,000 for the whole package, which is more than I paid for it. ($14,000)

Jeepwalker - Thanks again for your valuation. It's very helpful. BTW, you asked about a skid trailer... I have the one it came on but frankly I like my trailers to have excess capacity. I don't like running anything against it's limits on a continual basis.

td25c - I agree about a backhoe being useful but I have a small excavator to fill that role. BTW, I love that clothesline set-up you came up with. Me, I'm just going to get a carpet-pole attachment for my tractor.

CM1995 - I generally agree with the "keep it" sentiment when it comes to pretty much anything. One of the things that I have learned the hard way is that I have to make decisions as a businessman that I would never make as an individual. Something I know everyone here can relate to. On a personal level I'd love to keep her and maybe I will anyway, because I'm not interested in giving her away at a bargain price. FAIR price sure... bargain, no.
To your question, I am about 90% certain it's not a universal quick-tach, but I have never actually tested it. I know, that sounds odd, but that's how it's worked out. Having said that, I just bought a new Kubota L3560 and the FEL has a universal quick-tach setup. I also bought a quick-tach frame to weld a plate to so that it will accept a clamp-on tooth bar, which is kick-ass for scarifying hard packed limestone. I'll have that at the shop in a couple of days and I will test the Gehl to see if it's quick-attach lines up or if I was right that it doesn't fit.

LanmarFM - If it sat a few days here and there it would not be an issue. The problem is that she's a hanger queen. That's a good chunk of money tied up in a piece of equipment that isn't bringing in any real income.

Quick Attach - It's a two lever design that I am about 90% certain is not compatible with modern quick-tach. However, leter this week I am getting a new tool made on a quich-tach frame and I will test it to see if it lines up. I do know that you can buy a universal setup that has adjustments built in so that you can set it up for whatever you have, the point being that you can have all sorts of lever and rod designs but at the end the pins either line up with the holes or they don't. If mine actually turn out to line up that would be nice.

Trencher - Yes, it's like a big old chainsaw.

Auger - Only one bit, a 10"-er. Good for posts in the 6x6 - 10x10 range.

My Market - Addressing the question a couple of people have brought up... I do driveways and I work strictly with gravel. No asphalt and no concrete that isn't pre-cast. I can maintain, repair or build you a gravel surface for any need and about the only place I run into sideline stuff is when I do culvert or drainage work ancillary to the driveway work. My gravel surface tool hangs on a Type I 3-point hitch and I use 4wd Kubotas with front loader buckets in the 3/4 - 1 ton range. I also have a Takeuchi TB135 excavator (7,000-8,000lb class). Even that I don't use much, but more than the Gehl I'm not giving up my exc. I picked it up for $20K with 3 buckets on a quick-ish attach setup and a brand new Kubota power pack. Not a tall-block, a whole pack, with the break-in oil still in the crankcase. (7 hours)

When I need a dozer to scrape off surface or a big vibrating roller to compact the soil or stone I just rent it. If I need to move heavy concrete pipes or box culvert I can just rent a telehandler. Etc...

The more time goes on the more I realize that other than the basic machine unit to do the core work, the thing that would really be useful to me is dump trucks. Sub-CDL pickup or S/A tractor based trucks to pull my tag trailers and short wheelbase converted dual tandem tractors with small (7wx9lx4h) dump beds that can carry 14 or 15 tons of stone in the same physical space that an F650 based dumper usually occupies.

Size is a consideration for me and when a truck isn't working for me directly I can sub out the truck and driver to any of the local stone yards that I do business with.

ironjunkie

FWIW I bought an "Ambusher" mower that had the old Gehl hitch and converted it to a standard "SSQC" with very little work, basically cut off what was in the way and weld on the new style. You have a nice attachment list and if you have down time in the winter and are handy with a welder, a week in the shop with your old style attachments could double their value and allow you to sell it one piece at a time.
Have you ever checked out a grading or "landplane" type attachment for your gravel business? I used to prep driveways for asphalt with one and it was like I was just introduced to sliced bread! It would cut an old hard grade better than any other "light weight" machine as well as grade and spread gravel very well. I have a http://www.roadrunnerblade.com and to go the opposite direction from what your thinking, you might be able to update your old Gehl with a "newer front end"? This would have to come from Gehl and I would guess it would be an easy $1000 but that would be well spent as far as the machine's worth/value at resale.

popsiclepete

Occupation
Mechanical Contractor
i use a similar unit from "Land Pride" that I pull behind my Kabota tractor and it does a great job and loosening and leveling. I keep saying that some day I'll buy one that will work on my Skid Steer.