• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trucks carrying dirt onto highway

Truck Shop

I look at discussions like this one and it always boils down to the squeaky wheel syndrome. Some one with a little power thinks they have a ax to grind. People in those jobs
need to feel important by enforcing crap like dust control, those are the ones who need to eat some dirt.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I look at discussions like this one and it always boils down to the squeaky wheel syndrome. Some one with a little power thinks they have a ax to grind. People in those jobs
need to feel important by enforcing crap like dust control, those are the ones who need to eat some dirt.

Yeah, that's it. When I was playing dirt contractor in 2001 I got to meet the "top dog" of air quality in Benton County. Another woman that had no idea of what jobsite conditions could be but was quick to tell you she could shut you down in a heartbeat for the wrong puff of dust. Needless to say water trucks were not a luxury but a necessity in that windy area. Had a 4000 gallon truck, a 9000 gallon Cat water wagon and a 12000 gallon tower to fill them plus a good pump to boost city water into the tower.
That's about $100k right there just to keep them happy.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I didn't read the thread. 30 miles from here we have OMYA. hundreds of trucks + dozens of rail cars haul "limestone slurry" It is calcium carbonate bedrock blasted and ground. Not sure why they use so much water, it is soup.

They have wash beds spraying clean water under the trucks. Still a neighbor special orders his vehicles in a color he calls OMYA slime grey.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Could it be the stuff they use on roads before it snows after adding more water to it?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Here the worry is not so much on roadways, so long as contractor has sweeper equipment to clean roads occasionally as buildup occurs, Dust is another crank up the Whining issue, with the EPA dust rules water trucks are more prevalent and concerned citizens also MORE prevalent. Required to use runoff control blanketing, curtains and dams, control of mud and as such dust is more a priority than getting excavations completed. Most contractors have CTL units with broom/collection pan attachments to clean, gather and redistribute the messes.

As to the Carbonate slurries, a few subdivisions around here with rock roads use Calcium Carbonate as a application to control dust evolutions off dried up roads, actually works but does tend to slime every time re-wetted.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
We have a quarry near. The favorite product of driveway builders is pack mix. They offer several varieties, but all are crushed to a variety of sizes. The limestone is soft, crushes constantly under tires. Dry, it tracks bad as chalk, wet, it becomes slime.
I use calcium carbonate as road in 1-3/4". It packs like Macadam, but drains quickly.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Around here spoil piles and top soil piles have to be hydro seeded if going to stay for awhile.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Was coming back from the city this morning and saw they put in some of the yellow pyramid thingys on an entrance I had seen getting punched in last week so took some pics... they put a layer of 1-1/4minus to bed the yellow things in plus they put a regular Q-spall entrance in next to it...

frederickson-constructionent1-15mar2020.JPG

frederickson-constructionent2-15mar2020.JPG
I think they sprinkled girt on it to make it look like it was working... ;)
frederickson-constructionent4-15mar2020.JPG
I don't remember the ground around this area to be mushy... so not sure why they put the felt under it??? other than to make it easier to remove the spalls.... or it's required by the county - more than likely... afterall it's not their money they are spending ;)
frederickson-constructionent3-15mar2020.JPG

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Typical construction entrance detail in my area. The rock is usually #24 stone as it doesn't pack and is small enough not to get stuck between tandems.

Length is usually 50' and width 20'. We always use a filter fabric, woven or non-woven, it really just depends what we have left over on the yard. Either fabric keeps the stone from being mashed into the ground and lost. We hardly ever put a pipe in.

On longer projects you can carefully fluff up the stone with a CTL. All in all it's a profitable line item for me in our bids as we install all erosion control measures.

Const entrance1.png