• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trucking used to be a LOT harder

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
The Brits tend to over kill any job but this takes the cake for me!! Five guys on a recovery crew in One truck.

Must have been designed by a Pommie( British) public servant who was empire building.:) BTW that model Scammell was still in service in the NZ Army in the early 70's.

Wes J

You'd think they could have issued those fellows some gloves...

Seems crude by modern standards, but I bet it was awesome at the time. Some simple hydraulics could eliminate 3 of those men.

td25c

Pretty cool rig !

I like the over tire track option .

What's interesting to me is the " Holdfast " ground system they use to anchor with on multi part line pulls .

Looks like it's spiked to the ground at 3:25 in this video .

Wes J

I thought that was neat too. All the rigging is pretty neat. The main winch holds 600' of cable and has 8 tons of line pull. That sideways winching used a 5 part cable. That's a lot of heavy rigging to string out.

Definitely not an operation that would be performed while under fire. Also seems designed for specific terrain with firm ground and anchors like trees. That ground anchor thing would never work in sandy soil.

td25c

I like the overall concept of it . Using a smaller piece of equipment for a big task .

They were ahead of times in the 1940's .

I noticed the mechanical " hand winch " around 11:15 pulling the track back under the carriage .

Remember Scrub Puller calling it a " Trehwellah " tree puller .
Looks like a handy item to have around . :cool:

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/bogged.42599/

Truck Shop

Everything was harder to do including milking the cows. But at the same time people have forgot how to work because things have become too easy in some areas.
Nothing against progress but if it looks like to much work people have a tendency scattering. Idle hands are evil hands they use to say.

Truck Shop

Tugger2

Seems like there was a job for everyone in those days. People worked and used their minds to build that stuff and use it. Now we have outsmarted ourselves by complicating so many of these tasks, creating far reaching reaching social consequences.The out of control homeless camp in our old yard might be one example.Places like that havent been heard of since the great depression of the 30 s.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Seems like there was a job for everyone in those days. People worked and used their minds to build that stuff and use it. Now we have outsmarted ourselves by complicating so many of these tasks, creating far reaching reaching social consequences.The out of control homeless camp in our old yard might be one example.Places like that havent been heard of since the great depression of the 30 s.
Watch the Video "Last of the Giants" on youtube, It's about the days of the last of steam locomotives when labor was a reasonable cost of doing business. The Union Pacific roundhouse complex in Cheyenne Wyoming employed 5,000 people over 3 shifts in the heyday of steam power. Those guys knew their stuff and were indispensable in those days.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Great photos. What the heck is that green, Central Freight truck? I have never seen a sidewinder cab on a truck tractor like that.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Used to be a thing. lots of local delivery freights used them. In no way would they get a rider in that cab.