• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trucking Busness oppertunity

LaLaMan

There may be a good oppertunity for me to buy a dump truck and have nearly guarenteed work. Im trying to run number without having any hard facts so help me out.

In NJ what is the hourly rate for a class 8 triaxel dump truck? Is it an hourly rate or do they charge by the load?

I would not be driving, unless I get laid off, so im factoring in having to pay a driver at $30 which would include benifits. Im also factoring only working about 1800 hours a year.

I figured fuel might be about 30-40K a year, and insurance of 15k, and misc, costs, 15k. My rough essimates show about a 20k per year profit. Am I way off?

Im hoping if the figures look good, to get into this, and grow it, and then buy a backhoe and try to get work for that.

Jeff D.

Hello LaLaMan,Good Luck on your new business.I can't tell you what NJ area is paying for dump trucks.I went into business for myself in 1996,after being a company driver.Starting up is very stressfull,and there's alot of hidden things that will come up unexpectedly.The first couple of years was the hardest.

You've a BIG advantage since you've already steady work lined up in advance.That takes the longest,and it is usually by done by having to work harder than everyone else just to have people notice of you,and give you a chance.

1800 hrs. seems very busy too me for a dump truck in a year.It's possible but I'd use a lower figure,and if it turned out that way you'll be that much more ahead.

Hiring a driver is also a BIG headache,although it must be done sometimes.I think that part of it is going to be the hardest part of your whole plan.Unless you've already someone lined up,that you know you can count on.I hope it's not a relative or a close friend though,because often you'll end up having a falling out at some point during the business.Believe me,no other person is going to care about your business like you,and they will THINK your making millions off them without giving them their piece of the cake.Hire VERY carefully.

It's hard to give a thumbs up,or down with the info that you've supllied so far.The price of the truck,how long you finance it,health insurance cost(for your driver),workers comp.,and the age of your truck,will all affect the final numbers alot.

As for pay,you can write your contract up any way you like.By the load,by the hour,or by the mile.Sometimes a combination is best(hours,and miles)some are written by weight carried.As long as your adaquately compensated,any way works.It depends on what your job consist of,as to which way would be best for you.

I'll assume your getting a new,or newer truck,and average 30mph,for 1440 hrs per year,and charge by the hour.(just for a starting point)Here would be a very rough guess:
Truck price of $90,000.00 @ 7% for 60months=approx. $15.00/hr worked.
Maintanance @ $0.07/mile=$2.10/hr worked
Fuel @$2.45/gal @ 5.5mpg=$13.36/hr worked
truck ins. @$6000.00/yr =$4.17/hr worked
License and permits @$2000.00/yr=$1.39/hr worked
Total truck expenses =$36.02/hr.

If the driver was a sub-contractor,and he was paid via a 1099,at $30.00/hr for the hours worked,you'de still have to factor in extra time that couldn't be billed to the truck.I'll guess 10%,so that brings his portion to $33.00/hr

I won't even try to guess if he was an actual employee.Workers comp.and health ins. premiums will add an incredible amount to his pay.(plus vacation,sick days,overtime,on and on)

So if your driver was a contractor,you'de already be at $69.02/hr just to break even.There's also tax considerations,depending on how you structure your business,and always other cost that are hard to know,without more info on your particular situation.If the truck was older,the cost per hour for paying that off and it's insurance would go down,but maintanance will increase.You may get better fuel mileage,or possibly your plate will be cheaper.Your driver might have a crappy driving record,then your insurance goes up.There's alot of variables.

It sounded like you've thought much of it out already,just try and take into account evrything you KNOW the price of,and when you have to guess,be conservative.Never use "best case scenario"for any of your calculations.
Also think of things that can change,and try to account for them in your prices,i.e. fuel surcharge,pay for time sitting when caused by the person your doing work for if it's not charged by the hour(their loaders broke down,etc.)

Also,make sure you'll have some savings for after you've got the business rolling.If your truck blows an engine,or your driver abuses the truck(they ALWAYS do,when it's not theirs)and it needs more shop time for repairs,it can use up all your money before you even get any coming in.A truck will be "down" alot more than you'de expect.

Unfortunately it's always a gamble when you starting out,you'll never be able to predict everything that you'll have to face.Good Luck!

Nac

Occupation
Construction
I pay from $550-$600 for a truck a day ($62.50-$75.00/HR) those are the going rated right now. $30/hr sounds to low if the guy is going to be on the books with medical benafits. I know every one I ask who is in the trucking buisness says there is no money in it unless you are doing it in volume like 50 trucks on the road. Most guys say at the end of the day after paying a driver ,truck payment, fuel, tax, misc exp. they make about $50 a day. Most guys have trucks for there own use and then rent them out if there are slow.

LaLaMan

Nac said:
I pay from $550-$600 for a truck a day ($62.50-$75.00/HR) those are the going rated right now. $30/hr sounds to low if the guy is going to be on the books with medical benafits. I know every one I ask who is in the trucking buisness says there is no money in it unless you are doing it in volume like 50 trucks on the road. Most guys say at the end of the day after paying a driver ,truck payment, fuel, tax, misc exp. they make about $50 a day. Most guys have trucks for there own use and then rent them out if there are slow.

With what you said, I guess my figures were not very far off. At best I figured a $20,000 a year profit, but which would most likely be a $10,000 or less. The guy in business had 5 trucks, and he drove one of them. Now hes down to 2, b/c he now has a job in Newark making at least 95k+.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
A regular tandem axle here gets 70-75 dollars per hour the truck carries 15 ton or 12 yards of material and its all by the hour no by the load. Most drivers wages range from 15 dollars per hour to 25 dollars per hour only excavator operators make 30 dollars per hour. Most employees are on a salary and get paid overtime for the extra time.

As for benefits there is none 99.9% of the contractors here are non union thats the way the employees want it and thats the way the employer wants it. The contractors here are fair they treat their employees good they get good bonuses etc.

As for dump trucks the excavation contractors don't make a profit off them by the time you pay for fuel,wages and repairs there isn't much left.

All it takes to cut into the profits is ruin a tire you gash a drive tire theres 400 dollars out of the days profit. Or the driver starts to dump the load and the truck flips no uncommon with dump trucks.

You will have to beable to do all your own general repairs like changing tires etc you will also need a shop to work in with tools to repair the truck. Dump trucks see alot of abuse more than a road tractor ever does so it needs repairs more than any other truck.

To sum it up the only way you are going to make money is drive the truck yourself and run it as a O/OP its the only way your going to make a profit. The reason why the contractors here own dump trucks is they need them if they didn't need it they wouldn't own it.

If you want to even make a go at it your going to need to buy a brandnew truck so look at spending atleast 140,000 dollars which is what a new truck goes for here in B.C. Canada. A new truck should give you a mechanically trouble free truck for atleast 2-3 years you will have to do the usual things like tires every 6 months to a year and brakes every year.

A regular tandem will eat up a set of drive tires in a year a set of steers will last 6 months or so. Trucks here run supersingle steers so they are about 700-800 each and retreaded drive tires (11R-24.5) are about 400 each. A regular tandem will burn through say 7 grand in tires. If you have a bad driver that is hard on tires that figure will increase to more.

The list goes on and on if you really want to get into the dump truck business plan on not making a profit for the first year or two. Like I said you have to drive your own truck to make any profit.

crash935

Occupation
Co-Owner of Lakeland Transportation
How do you make a million $'s in the trucking business?

Start with 2 million $'s!!!