• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Truck Shakes when loaded

AllDodge

97 International single axle dump truck and it starts shaking like something is out of round only when it's loaded. This is a 26000 GVW truck and I'm usually loaded to 32 to 33000 pounds, juice brakes. Truck is used for my farm ony, nothing comerical. I bought the truck last year and had all new tires (not recaps) and rims put on it by Raben. Rims are steel 22.5 budd's, and it seams to do it between 35 to 45 mph but goes away above or below. Rims where bought from Raben when I bought the tires and are remanufactured not brand new. Any ideas?

AllDodge

Yes, the truck has allways done it. I pulled the rear wheels off, checked and re-torque but still does it.

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
could be u joint, when loaded the angle of the u joints change. Not unheard of to get a bad new tire or rebuilt rim not running true. I had a dump that kept doing that and it was a bad tire on the front. would check u joints first then get wheels checked for runnout and balance. Bad shock one side, look for oil on shock. Bent axle shaft, check runnout on disc or drum, a slight bit of runnout at drum would be a lot on a 22.5 tire and may only show under load, empty the tire may compensate.

AllDodge

could be u joint, when loaded the angle of the u joints change. Not unheard of to get a bad new tire or rebuilt rim not running true. I had a dump that kept doing that and it was a bad tire on the front. would check u joints first then get wheels checked for runnout and balance. Bad shock one side, look for oil on shock. Bent axle shaft, check runnout on disc or drum, a slight bit of runnout at drum would be a lot on a 22.5 tire and may only show under load, empty the tire may compensate.

Thanks, the u-joint sounds possiable, I've looked at them and they fell solid but 33K or an out of round tire could be. I would take it back to the place I bought the tires but that's a 150 mile trip, do able but should be able to find someone more local. I'll give it a try.

AllDodge

Check engine and tranny mounts as well.

Will do, but it doesn't stop if I push in on the clutch and let it coast. But then again this tells me it may be the new tires, not the u-joint but still need to check everything.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Will do, but it doesn't stop if I push in on the clutch and let it coast. But then again this tells me it may be the new tires, not the u-joint but still need to check everything.
Does it have a two piece drive shaft? If so check timing and swing bearing.Some times U joints will be bad but no slack just a dry bearing some times just one.

Dualie

i would definately say drive-line related. probably overloading and binding a u-joint

lpnt65

Occupation
Retired
Have you checked to see if the drive shaft or Drive Axles Are Completely Straight.. OR Possibly your truck Has Nervous Condition, needs understanding and bit of TLC, Maybe it is just plani scared of work Just Joking.

grandpa

Id almost bet its the tires or something in the tires.... jack up the back end of the truck, spin the tires and see if one set or other seems to favor stopping in one spot... bet somebody left something inside a tire upon installation.,,, i've seen it before.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Id almost bet its the tires or something in the tires.... jack up the back end of the truck, spin the tires and see if one set or other seems to favor stopping in one spot... bet somebody left something inside a tire upon installation.,,, i've seen it before.
I have seen that on a tube type steering tire.Caused a wreck when the tire went ka boom.

AllDodge

Sure appreicate all the input. I'll be in the country the next few days and well do some checking. Hope something will show up while checking.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
See if the trucks been drinking.I used to have a girlfriend that would shake alot when she was drinking.

AllDodge

Well the drive shaft is one piece, engine and tranny mounts are good and tight. Used a string along the drive shaft with a couple tooth picks to bearly hold it off the shaft and it looks stright. The drive shaft is one piece, and I noticed it doesn't have any shocks in the rear (really there is no room for them). Front shocks look fine, no leaks. I will try to get the wheels spinny tomorrow if I can find some time. Working on the track loader.

Found a empty bear can under the truck so depression or may just need a hug could be a possability ;)

Leon Phelps

Were the tires balanced? I would get them balanced and go from there. If you can find an old school tire place, they can balance the wheel on the truck and this way they can counter a weight missing on the drum. Drum weights do fall off sometimes.

wsw

You say it shakes but you never said if it was in the steering wheel or seemed to be coming from the drivetrain. And is it a shake or a shimmy? How much does the rear of the truck drop as it is loaded. Answer these questions so I can better help you

AllDodge

It's not coming from the steering, the truck starts shaking up and down of fore and aft depends on your perception. The whole truck is moving but not the steering. Don't know how much the rear of the truck drops down, but springs are not bent over in reverse.

wsw

I would look at driveline angles then or the slip yoke could be bottoming, ujoints should neer be more than 15 degrees and that is alot I would like to say 11 or 12 degrees, Also retorque the rear u bolts while the truck is loaded. not appling enough torque while the spring is unsprung will result in loose u bolts when fully loaded. Also look for loose crossmembers. also as the rear of the truck goes down as it is loaded the front end castor angle increases. Also make sure the driveline is in phase. get back to me if you have anymore questions

shopguy

GM Calls it frame beaming google it iam not kidding ,think about it they are the same tires ,wheels, shafts, ect.empty as loaded, the speed, wheel base,bed/load placement gets the rythem going.try loading more to rear or toe a trailer just to test,lookout rear window at cab & bed gap while it is hoping. I had a ford did it till it died with all my money in new parts. Hope yours IS NOT this but check it out . Good Luck